The (Not So) Great Unanswered Question

Comments

• tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Why do ppl start a rant with a question?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Came in a jug, mate. I only made the mistake once, I now drink tea when I'm in the US." :shock:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Hobson's choice, keef!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Why do men's clothes shops only stock 28 waist trousers in 32 length, whereas they will sell 30 waists with 30 length?

I have never understood this.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Why do men's clothes shops only stock 28 waist trousers in 32 length, whereas they will sell 30 waists with 30 length?

I have never understood this.
    Maybe try shopping in the Boys wear department? :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tangled_metal
    Buy the 30/30 and a belt. Just be grateful you're not 6'5" tall and have to wear trousers with 4" too much around the waist just to get the leg length right. At least you can get 28/32 trousers turned up for you. There's a few places near me that do it for as little as £10 I'm told. Never had to do that myself but the service is there.

BTW sizing is probably impossible for retailers to get right. There are national sizing surveys but they're taken and take maybe decades to become the norm. You must have to find your shop. The one that sells clothes you like and that fit you. Then keep your fingers crossed they don't change their sizing model.
  • tangled_metal
    BTW don't joke about boys wear department. Whilst at university the climbing/hiking societies had club nights at local independent gear retailers. The discount was impressive so they were always packed (plus late opening was handy). I was browsing when I overheard the senior guy at the retailer advising a particularly tall and slim guy to try on women's walking trousers. Apparently the brands they stocked offered longer legs for the waist in women's sizes. He tried a size 14. Apparently that theory didn't take into account that men tend to have bigger quads. Anyway there's some validity to looking at clothing for other target audiences if you're an awkward size /shape. I reckon most will know a lass who has small feet such that they but girl's shoes at times.
  • rick_chasey
    Buy the 30/30 and a belt. Just be grateful you're not 6'5" tall and have to wear trousers with 4" too much around the waist just to get the leg length right. At least you can get 28/32 trousers turned up for you. There's a few places near me that do it for as little as £10 I'm told. Never had to do that myself but the service is there.

BTW sizing is probably impossible for retailers to get right. There are national sizing surveys but they're taken and take maybe decades to become the norm. You must have to find your shop. The one that sells clothes you like and that fit you. Then keep your fingers crossed they don't change their sizing model.

You're not really answering the question.

I just struggle to believe there are more people that suit 28-32 than 28-30.

Thing is, I need a belt for 28 half the time; belt with a 30 makes the trousers look like a sack of potatoes with a tie top.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Scaffolding - How on earth does it stay up? This is an answer to the single arrays on sees on the front of a house or building. There just doesn't seem to be any visible means that it is secured to stop it from toppling over.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Scaffolding - How on earth does it stay up?

It only comes down after you have called the scaffolding company at least 5 times asking them to come and take it away because its been up 3 weeks longer than you needed it ! :?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979

There aren't....it's just all of the 28-32 will have much less demand so there will always be more in stock.

It's same with other "normal" sizes too, the most popular sizes in shops are usually in short(er) supply.
  • dinyull
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Scaffolding - How on earth does it stay up?

It doesn't always.

Dad's firm was having a new roof fitted a year or 2 ago - scaffolding company came and did what they do.

People arrived back to work on the Monday to find the whole structure had collapsed over the weekend. Lucky that no one was killed.
  • rick_chasey
    Dinyull wrote:

There aren't....it's just all of the 28-32 will have much less demand so there will always be more in stock.

It's same with other "normal" sizes too, the most popular sizes in shops are usually in short(er) supply.

I don't think you understand; no standard high street shop manufactures 28-30.

It's not an option. That's my point, and question.

It's the same with suits.

Take this suit jacket.

q8QCRF4.png

So it comes in a 34, but only in a medium length.

If you want it to be short, it has to be 36 or higher.

Is it only fatter/bigger people who are short?
  • Ben6899
    I'd go to a tailor, Rick.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • dinyull
    Dinyull wrote:

I don't think you understand; no standard high street shop manufactures 28-30.

It's not an option. That's my point, and question.

It's the same with suits.

Take this suit jacket.

q8QCRF4.png

Sheeeeeeet. What the fark is that all about?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Scaffolding - How on earth does it stay up? This is an answer to the single arrays on sees on the front of a house or building. There just doesn't seem to be any visible means that it is secured to stop it from toppling over.

Putlocks are set into the building structure itself.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Dinyull wrote:
    Sheeeeeeet. What the fark is that all about?
    Boy sized man wants to buy mens clothes but should really be looking in the boys section.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dinyull
    Is there not a small version of a big and tall shop?
  • Pross
    Dinyull wrote:
    Is there not a small version of a big and tall shop?

Yeah, Mothercare.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328

It's obvious. Very few people buy a 34. Of the sizes that come in 3 lengths the majority are sold in medium. So in the smallest size they only do the medium length as the turnover of long or short would be negligible.
    Saying that from the age of about 16-20 I was a 28" waist with a 32" leg. That was a very long time ago.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Dinyull wrote:

There was an article on R4 this afternoon about clothes sizing - essentially, it's all made up. Manufacturers call different sizes whatever they want.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    orraloon wrote:
    Hmm. There is a dairy farm not far from me which has signs outside offering for sale raw Jersey milk. Not much of a milko me, morning muesli and that's it, but this thread has piqued an interest. Is on one of my regular loops. Might call in by, get a pint, stick in jersey pocket to bring home. Nice bit of bouncing and sweating should improve it, no?
    Went past the dairy farm selling to the public raw unpasteurised Jersey milk. However, didn't get any to sample:
    a) only had litre size, at £1.20, per litre, vs 4l of 'normal' semi-skimmed Sainsbury milk for £1
    b) didn't have enough space in jersey pockets to cram in the litre pack. Didn't want to be having a wet and sticky bum with a milky trail behind me.

So jury still out on just how lekker that milk might be. Might take my tourer on a loop past so can get some in a pannier.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    orraloon wrote:
    ... Didn't want to be having a wet and sticky bum with a milky trail behind me.
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    orraloon wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Hmm. There is a dairy farm not far from me which has signs outside offering for sale raw Jersey milk. Not much of a milko me, morning muesli and that's it, but this thread has piqued an interest. Is on one of my regular loops. Might call in by, get a pint, stick in jersey pocket to bring home. Nice bit of bouncing and sweating should improve it, no?
    Went past the dairy farm selling to the public raw unpasteurised Jersey milk. However, didn't get any to sample:
    a) only had litre size, at £1.20, per litre, vs 4l of 'normal' semi-skimmed Sainsbury milk for £1
    b) didn't have enough space in jersey pockets to cram in the litre pack. Didn't want to be having a wet and sticky bum with a milky trail behind me.

So jury still out on just how lekker that milk might be. Might take my tourer on a loop past so can get some in a pannier.

Pretty sure it's 4 pints for £1 in Sainsbury not 4 litres!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Veronese68 wrote:

It's obvious. Very few people buy a 34. Of the sizes that come in 3 lengths the majority are sold in medium. So in the smallest size they only do the medium length as the turnover of long or short would be negligible.
    Saying that from the age of about 16-20 I was a 28" waist with a 32" leg. That was a very long time ago.
    Anyone who is a size 34 jacket as an adult needs to sign up to one of those Charles Atlas training schemes that stop you getting sand kicked in your face on the beach.
    Or hope Oxfam start a relief scheme in their area.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm a 34 jacket!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    PBlakeney wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    ... Didn't want to be having a wet and sticky bum with a milky trail behind me.
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Well nobody wants that. Or do they?? [strokes chin]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I'm a 34 jacket!
    Jackets are measured on chest not waist size :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Webboo wrote:
    I'm a 34 jacket!
    Jackets are measured on chest not waist size :wink:

No, i'm a 34 jacket, 28 waist. :|
  • Ben6899
    I bet Webboo is hench!
    Ben