The (Not So) Great Unanswered Question

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Q: What is it in the psyche of the majority of Range Rover drivers that makes them inconsiderate and/or aggressive drivers. It's an observation I've made as someone who drives 25 to 30 thousand miles a year. They are the most common car to tailgate and the ones to commonly exceed speed limits on any class of road. Plus they also have a propensity to park in disable bays or drop off areas.

Small penis big car men

Sense of self aggrandizement for women

Crappp at driving but neeed huge car to keep up with the Jones'/feel they impress someone, somewhere.

We are plagued with the same issues - I can neither understand the need for them or stand the sight of them.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    I think it's also their size and sound proofing means the driver doesn't really feel the threats or the speed sensation.

Have been in one as a passenger and a quick glance at the speedo had the car at 135mph; felt no different to 60mph.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Most French milk is UHT. It isn't just different, it's absolute crap.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Hmm. There is a dairy farm not far from me which has signs outside offering for sale raw Jersey milk. Not much of a milko me, morning muesli and that's it, but this thread has piqued an interest. Is on one of my regular loops. Might call in by, get a pint, stick in jersey pocket to bring home. Nice bit of bouncing and sweating should improve it, no?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    One near us had to stop selling after ppl started getting ill from it. They've sorted the issue out and selling it again.

Aren't raw milk sellers only allowed to sell to ppl within a certain.distance of the farm?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    One near us had to stop selling after ppl started getting ill from it. They've sorted the issue out and selling it again.

Aren't raw milk sellers only allowed to sell to ppl within a certain.distance of the farm?
    Interestinger and interestinger. Dunno. I'll ask. Maybe I'll need to bring ID / passport / proof of address... Def going to stop in by next time I ride that loop. All these different worlds out there eh?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    finchy wrote:
    Most French milk is UHT. It isn't just different, it's absolute crap.

all the facts on french milk you could possibly want?

http://www.maison-du-lait.com/en/key-fi ... y-industry

i go with the holiday factor because i love french UHT semi milk but cant stand the stuff in the UK...... or another case of doing down the UK :lol::lol::lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    orraloon wrote:
    Hmm. There is a dairy farm not far from me which has signs outside offering for sale raw Jersey milk. Not much of a milko me, morning muesli and that's it, but this thread has piqued an interest. Is on one of my regular loops. Might call in by, get a pint, stick in jersey pocket to bring home. Nice bit of bouncing and sweating should improve it, no?

If it's like proper full cream Jersey milk from Jersey cows it'll be lush.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    10534972844_b0bb8004cb_m.jpg

latest?cb=20100627231649
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Hopefully this thread can help get answers to all those annoying, pointless questions that enter your heads from time to time.

My current one is - why does milk taste so different from country to country when cows in most developed countries eat a similar type of feed? French semi-skimmed is far different to ours.

Not sure about France, but milk is sweetened in the US and Mexico. It's no wonder every third person is overweight.

"milk is sweetened in the US"

Define "milk" and "sweetened."
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Ok, here's another question that always bugs me:

Why do so many sportswomen have "fat" faces?

See so many female cyclists/tennis players who have chubby cheeks - why is it?
  • Matthewfalle
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Hopefully this thread can help get answers to all those annoying, pointless questions that enter your heads from time to time.

My current one is - why does milk taste so different from country to country when cows in most developed countries eat a similar type of feed? French semi-skimmed is far different to ours.

Not sure about France, but milk is sweetened in the US and Mexico. It's no wonder every third person is overweight.

about the same level of fatbastardness as Britain really.

Britain. It's not that great.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Oh don't worry, I'd never claim it is!

It's really not as fat as the US or Mexico, though.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

A liquid produced by a mammal - normally for feeding offspring.
    Made to taste sweeter.

Unless I'm missing something?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Dinyull wrote:

I hope you're not suggesting that men and women are different?
  • Matthewfalle
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Oh don't worry, I'd never claim it is!

It's really not as fat as the US or Mexico, though.

Fattest population in Europe and although I couldn't really be bothered to look for world figures you're probably up there with the US.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/P ... he-UK.aspx

Fat.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ben6899
    :D

Like I said, you had no need to prove this to me. But you can rest assured that the UK isn't as fat as the US or Trump's favourite neighbours!
    Ben

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Q: What is it in the psyche of the majority of Range Rover drivers that makes them inconsiderate and/or aggressive drivers. It's an observation I've made as someone who drives 25 to 30 thousand miles a year. They are the most common car to tailgate and the ones to commonly exceed speed limits on any class of road. Plus they also have a propensity to park in disable bays or drop off areas.

Size of vehicle - they sit above most other road users - so they can see in front.
    The vehicle is high, wide, stable & quiet so speed sensation is minimal ... plus I still think there's a sense of superiority
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Nah, I think it's because they're all c*nts.

My Dad drives one, so I can back up my thinking.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^ :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    Went to see a comedian a little while ago, he reckoned big black 4x4s are there to save the drivers the bother of having to actually tell everyone they are a c*nt. It was funny when he said it though.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Had a black range rover with red line around the edge of the grill (probably a very expensive, sporty and limited edition version) speed up to me and sit a couple of metres back trying to.intimidate me. Hah! I dropped to 20mph at the first warning sign for a 30mph zone. You know those where you have three signs with the speed limit that's approaching with three then two then one diagonal line(s) to get ppl to slow for the zone. I think he got annoyed because he drove closer. Then he backed off. Once he did that and kept his distance for a while I picked up my speed. I hate cnuts who try to intimidate you to speed up.

BTW what is it with mini drivers? Especially female mini drivers? Round my way they're manic or just ignorant drivers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    Had a black range rover with red line around the edge of the grill (probably a very expensive, sporty and limited edition version) speed up to me and sit a couple of metres back trying to.intimidate me. Hah! I dropped to 20mph at the first warning sign for a 30mph zone. You know those where you have three signs with the speed limit that's approaching with three then two then one diagonal line(s) to get ppl to slow for the zone. I think he got annoyed because he drove closer. Then he backed off. Once he did that and kept his distance for a while I picked up my speed. I hate cnuts who try to intimidate you to speed up.

BTW what is it with mini drivers? Especially female mini drivers? Round my way they're manic or just ignorant drivers.

Yeah, I once had a land rover get annoyed that I was passing lorries in a two lane bit of the A1 at 80 rather than 100.

I gave him a thumbs up when I finally passed all the lorries and let him through, and he immediately swerved over and brake tested me, the nutter.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    Dinyull wrote:

Because they don't train hard enough for excessive weight loss?
    That or they are doped. A certain German cyclist was well known for having a chubby face.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Q.
    In films where they are on a submarine, you can something like "take us upto fifty feet, zero bubble".

What's the zero bubble bit? I suspect it could be keeping the sub even, but I've never heard any other 'bubble'.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Capt Slog wrote:
    Q.
    In films where they are on a submarine, you can something like "take us upto fifty feet, zero bubble".

What's the zero bubble bit? I suspect it could be keeping the sub even, but I've never heard any other 'bubble'.
    Not a submariner, but I believe you can use your "fins" for want of a better word to move up and down, or ballast/air to go up or down quicker. And vertically, rather than on the move, as in the first bit.
    That's driving a submarine covered then :lol:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Slog...

The up or down angle of the boat, with a “zero bubble” means being on an even keel.

The bubble may have to be changed to maintain depth. For example, if the ship is getting heavier as it’s making water, or lighter due to pumping sanitaries or any other myriad evolutions, you may have to pitch the ship’s nose down to stop from rising or pitch it up to stop the boat from sinking. The ship could also be out of trim fore to aft, not only heavy or light overall.

Rarely do you have a zero bubble though, right around a ½ degree up is fine and at periscope depth you actually want an up angle of 1, 1.5 degrees or so depending on sea state.

This up angle at periscope depth accomplishes several things: it keeps the screw from broaching in case you suddenly pitch down (the screw can’t do its job if it’s in the air and not the water), it keeps the scope clear, and it keeps the expanse of the ship aft of the sail lower, thereby lessening suction upward by wave action (because of the Bernoulli Effect).

Or something like that.

• Qube wrote:
    Slog...

The up or down angle of the boat, with a “zero bubble” means being on an even keel.

The bubble may have to be changed to maintain depth. For example, if the ship is getting heavier as it’s making water, or lighter due to pumping sanitaries or any other myriad evolutions, you may have to pitch the ship’s nose down to stop from rising or pitch it up to stop the boat from sinking. The ship could also be out of trim fore to aft, not only heavy or light overall.

Rarely do you have a zero bubble though, right around a ½ degree up is fine and at periscope depth you actually want an up angle of 1, 1.5 degrees or so depending on sea state.

This up angle at periscope depth accomplishes several things: it keeps the screw from broaching in case you suddenly pitch down (the screw can’t do its job if it’s in the air and not the water), it keeps the scope clear, and it keeps the expanse of the ship aft of the sail lower, thereby lessening suction upward by wave action (because of the Bernoulli Effect).

Or something like that.

I knew the radioactive people would be around to explain this.
    I'll stick to changing brake (or is that break?) pads on a chieftain... 8)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Moontrane
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Made to taste sweeter.

Your first definition is what is sold here in the US. Milk is sweetened to make beverages like chocolate or strawberry milk. Otherwise, it's just plain ole white milk.
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Made to taste sweeter.

Your first definition is what is sold here in the US. Milk is sweetened to make beverages like chocolate or strawberry milk. Otherwise, it's just plain ole white milk.

Ah, I think I know the source of your misapprehension: there are variations of condensed milk that are sweetened. You have your own, too. :wink:

017075.jpg?v=20170514122111