The (Not So) Great Unanswered Question

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Went to see a comedian a little while ago, he reckoned big black 4x4s are there to save the drivers the bother of having to actually tell everyone they are a c*nt. It was funny when he said it though.

Reminds me of one of those "daft things you tell your kids".

I once explained to them that black/tinted windows on cars were there because the occupants were so ugly that they would frighten everyone else.

The older I get, the better I was.

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Why is it that the standard emergency evacuation procedure is to keep calm and walk, yet emergency exit signs always have a picture of somebody running towards the exit?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqCcLJ-tiyKtmRnq-6fKxNNYxEO1ztl2ozPvwbuy997be0Li-h

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6ejCbgXXP12yDv_fldSuueC_qmLT6zdEzP3FFNOrSxyPPWAG2

Emergency-Exit-Engraved-Sign-SE-2718-L.gif
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Black tinted windows are another tool in the arsenal of over protective parents. Another way to cut out the sun from reaching their kid's skin. After a bottle of factor 50+ cream, long sleeve and leg swimming suits on holiday. Add in kids staying indoors playing on various devices and you have problems.

BTW once I used.to think that the fears of overprotective parents were media induced paranoia. Attacks / assaults on kids was no worse than when we were kids. Now we have learnt our generation wasn't as safe as we thought. It's got me confused as to what the reality of risk is these days.

So we forget to put up the rear, built in sunscreens in the car, fail to put the recommended half a bottle of factor 50 on every hour or after a swim in the sea and we don't wash all fruit to save our little one from cancer in later life caused by those nasty toxins left on fruit from.modern farming. BTW free fruit at Tesco's, is there a liability if they've not been washed and our little one develops cancer from pesticides left on Tesco's free fruit for kids! :wink:
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Black tinted windows are another tool in the arsenal of over protective parents. Another way to cut out the sun from reaching their kid's skin. After a bottle of factor 50+ cream, long sleeve and leg swimming suits on holiday. Add in kids staying indoors playing on various devices and you have problems.

BTW once I used.to think that the fears of overprotective parents were media induced paranoia. Attacks / assaults on kids was no worse than when we were kids. Now we have learnt our generation wasn't as safe as we thought. It's got me confused as to what the reality of risk is these days.

So we forget to put up the rear, built in sunscreens in the car, fail to put the recommended half a bottle of factor 50 on every hour or after a swim in the sea and we don't wash all fruit to save our little one from cancer in later life caused by those nasty toxins left on fruit from.modern farming. BTW free fruit at Tesco's, is there a liability if they've not been washed and our little one develops cancer from pesticides left on Tesco's free fruit for kids! :wink:

As a child with ginger hair and fair skin I can confirm a bottle of factor 50+ every hour is essential for certain kids unless you happy with them suffering 1st degree burns.

As far as I'm aware, tinted window offer no sun protection whatsoever - or they didn't in my boy racer yoof.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Black tinted windows are another tool in the arsenal of over protective parents.

Marginal gains of parenting though .. in 1970 21 out of 1000 children didn't live to be 5 .... 2015 that down to 4.2 per 1000 children. :mrgreen:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I worked on the farm next door during the holidays, it made perfect sense when the boss bought himself a Mk 1 Range Rover. He could tear off across a field to bollock somebody if the inclination took him, and it frequently did, and he and his wife could still travel in comfort to the hunt ball.

When city dwelling mothers started to use them to take their little Tarquins to Nursery school, not so much.

I think you'd struggle to pin the blame on fruit from Tesco or indeed anywhere else. I imagine by avoiding fruit you'd be increasing your chances of contracting some kinds of cancer. Indeed I've given up washing fruit and veg since it's becoming apparent that the more microbes you ingest, the healthier you're likely to be.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    fat daddy wrote:
    Black tinted windows are another tool in the arsenal of over protective parents.

Marginal gains of parenting though .. in 1970 21 out of 1000 children didn't live to be 5 .... 2015 that down to 4.2 per 1000 children. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking that can't entirely be down to tinted windows...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,630

A lot of cars, especially the type you might buy for ferrying children around, just come with tinted rear windows, rather than it being a deliberate choice. I think you are right about increased awareness rather than increased incidence.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    keef66 wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

I'm thinking that can't entirely be down to tinted windows...

that's the marginal gains bit .... on its own it does nothing, but add it to not using plastic bottles, feeding them organic keytone infused blueberries, putting padding on any object in the room and not letting them play outside .... and BOOM mortality rates drop
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited August 2017
    Moontrane wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Hopefully this thread can help get answers to all those annoying, pointless questions that enter your heads from time to time.

My current one is - why does milk taste so different from country to country when cows in most developed countries eat a similar type of feed? French semi-skimmed is far different to ours.

Not sure about France, but milk is sweetened in the US and Mexico. It's no wonder every third person is overweight.

"milk is sweetened in the US"

Define "milk" and "sweetened."

A liquid produced by a mammal - normally for feeding offspring.
    Made to taste sweeter.

Unless I'm missing something?

Your first definition is what is sold here in the US. Milk is sweetened to make beverages like chocolate or strawberry milk. Otherwise, it's just plain ole white milk.

If I ask for milk, in a café in the US, to go with my coffee (or what passes for coffee), then the milk is definitely sweeter than what we're used to over here in the UK.

What am I being served?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    Evaporated milk, which, in the Netherlands, is sold as "coffee milk" or "koffiemelk".
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=koffi ... P-txWiHnWY
  • Ben6899
    Well that's bizarre.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    finchy wrote:
    Why is it that the standard emergency evacuation procedure is to keep calm and walk, yet emergency exit signs always have a picture of somebody running towards the exit?
    Reality v theory.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    Dinyull wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, tinted window offer no sun protection whatsoever - or they didn't in my boy racer yoof.
    Well, they won't work if you have the window down to put your arm on the door. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Evaporated milk, which, in the Netherlands, is sold as "coffee milk" or "koffiemelk".
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=koffi ... P-txWiHnWY
    First time I went abroad with my wife she wanted a cup of tea when we were in Brussels, I told her that was a bad idea. We had to explain what she wanted and were eventually brought a glass of hot water, a tea bag sitting on the saucer and a pot of evaporated milk. Can't say I was surprised, my beer was lovely though.
  • tangled_metal
    Dinyull wrote:

:wink:

As a child with ginger hair and fair skin I can confirm a bottle of factor 50+ every hour is essential for certain kids unless you happy with them suffering 1st degree burns.

They block out uv radiation to some degree. I was once told the spectacle lenses that go dark in the sun do that in response to uv radiation. The same glasses (as worn by a mate and others in my family) doesn't go dark inside the car with the windows shut. I made the connection which logically you can't guarantee as being right. It could be the tiny or the windup window material. BTW their cars have tint on all windows but it's darker in the rear as allowed under relevant laws/regulations.

Ginger people are not like most people, I.think with sun you can treat them as a separate group as far as sunlight goes.
  • pblakeney
    I was once told the spectacle lenses that go dark in the sun do that in response to uv radiation. The same glasses (as worn by a mate and others in my family) doesn't go dark inside the car with the windows shut.
    My optician told me not to get reactive lenses for driving use for that very reason.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • On the Range Rover side of things: Last Friday I had to go into hospital for an appointment. The car parks in UK hospitals are notoriously hard to find a spot in. Eventually I find a space and park. As I am walking from the car I see a woman in a big Discovery parked with a whole tyres width outside the line into a neighbouring space. I called to her 'great parking there' to which she replied ''the space is smaller to get into cos there is a tree next to her door to get out' this logic vanishes when I explain to her there are another 4 spaces she could have used all within sight of the one she is in and maybe leave the awkward space for a smaller car instead? She then replies 'I'll move then, shall I?' So I agree but purposely stood and watched until she did. She probably thought I was being a tw@t but I don't care. Show some common sense and consideration for others and I'll get off your case. Don't see anyone else saying anything but will moan and complain about 4x4 drivers anyway.
  • tangled_metal
    Well I've moved on from hating range rover drivers to despising Peugeot drivers who park in parent and child spot that we had our eyes on. It was near the entrance and it was raining. We.had to park a long way from the entrance. I did see the late twenty year old woman get out leaving an empty car. Meanwhile we're child wrangling in a busy part of the carpark with cars passing.

There's a reason for parent and child parking spots guys! Don't use them if you're without children under tree age of 13.

BTW on a plus they've put in ANPR cameras and are using parking wardens. With luck they'll actually fine these people the £70 fine that's mentioned on the new warning signs.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    I think they'd have a problem with fining anyone if it got challenged. It would presumably have to be under some breach of conditions as there's no traffic regulations in force and then they'd have to demonstrate a loss of some sort as far as I know. Also, where does your age of 13 come from? I've always assumed the spaces are for people with toddlers who struggle to walk any distance, by about 3 or 4 they should be fine!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ok... swearing and religion, what's the score? Do religions clearly say swearing is not to be done, with no ambiguity? Or, is it that religious types have decided they don't like swearing (and then try to make out it's a religious thing)?
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Hopefully this thread can help get answers to all those annoying, pointless questions that enter your heads from time to time.

My current one is - why does milk taste so different from country to country when cows in most developed countries eat a similar type of feed? French semi-skimmed is far different to ours.

Not sure about France, but milk is sweetened in the US and Mexico. It's no wonder every third person is overweight.

Made to taste sweeter.

Your first definition is what is sold here in the US. Milk is sweetened to make beverages like chocolate or strawberry milk. Otherwise, it's just plain ole white milk.

If I ask for milk, in a café in the US, to go with my coffee (or what passes for coffee), then the milk is definitely sweeter than what we're used to over here in the UK.

What am I being served?

I've never been served pre-sweetened coffee at a cafe or restaurant in the U.S., and the milk served is always plain milk. Vietnamese restaurants serve what is called French coffee, which I find gag-inducingly sweet.

I can’t disagree with your experience, but it’s different from mine. Are you getting a small plastic container of a creamer? Some of those are sweet.

original-cm-cups.png71yo3oAG6RL._SY355_.jpgF0702060060100bg.jpg
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • GedFoss
    GedFoss Posts: 18
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I was once told the spectacle lenses that go dark in the sun do that in response to uv radiation. The same glasses (as worn by a mate and others in my family) doesn't go dark inside the car with the windows shut.
    My optician told me not to get reactive lenses for driving use for that very reason.

UV light is not transmitted by glass anyway. Tinted glass just cuts down the % transmitted in the visible range.
  • tangled_metal
    Pross wrote:
    I think they'd have a problem with fining anyone if it got challenged. It would presumably have to be under some breach of conditions as there's no traffic regulations in force and then they'd have to demonstrate a loss of some sort as far as I know. Also, where does your age of 13 come from? I've always assumed the spaces are for people with toddlers who struggle to walk any distance, by about 3 or 4 they should be fine!
    There's a set of conditions of use on the sign (or whatever you want to call the set of conditions that the supermarket applies to you should you wish to avail yourself of the privately owned parking facilities).
    13? I think I read on another parking "regulations" board at a different supermarket that parent and child spaces were for parents with children up to 13. It could have been 12, 11 but it was of early secondary school age. I guess that's because some kids don't develop "road sense" until about then. I'm sure I've seen kids about that age messing around in a normal spot more aware of their game than cars passing them by. I've got a 5 year old who knows about road safety to a degree but it's what mood he's in as to whether that concerns him. Hence the parent and child parking spots being very useful. He'll probably be like that until almost double digits judging by what his cousins were (still are) like.

Of course parent and child parking is one of those things ppl don't agree on. Ppl without children or who's children are long past the age that these spots are useful don't always see the need of them. Those who are loading up the car with shopping, kids, babies, etc do see the need.
  • tangled_metal
    GedFoss wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

UV light is not transmitted by glass anyway. Tinted glass just cuts down the % transmitted in the visible range.
    http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/are-you-at-risk/sun-hazards-in-your-car

UVA is not blocked by side window, car glass according to this site, the first one to come up on my Google search. This may reduce with a tint to the glass I don't know.

Either way I remember getting a bit sore due to the sun on my right side after a day walking in the hills. I'd used factor 30 or 50 but not reapplied it in the late afternoon so had no protection then, also only put it on once I got there. Due to climate control the windows were shut. I usually slop it on before leaving the house now.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,630
    mfin wrote:
    Ok... swearing and religion, what's the score? Do religions clearly say swearing is not to be done, with no ambiguity? Or, is it that religious types have decided they don't like swearing (and then try to make out it's a religious thing)?

There is a specific biblical prohibition on using the name of God as a swear word (and presumably other uses that one wouldn't necessarily think of as swearing - OMG, etc.)

7th Commandment:

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
    (KJV)

There's no specific prohibition on other swearing but there are a couple of references that could be interpreted in that way if you were the kind of person who likes telling people what to do and want to back it up by waving a Bible around.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    Is partly cultural.

In Netherlands, the worst swear words are blasphemous and to do with illnesses.

In the UK, the worst words are reserved for sex & sexual organs.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944

Of course parent and child parking is one of those things ppl don't agree on. Ppl without children or who's children are long past the age that these spots are useful don't always see the need of them. Those who are loading up the car with shopping, kids, babies, etc do see the need.

I could get along with the "parent and child" spaces if they were used correctly, but very often they're not.

The reason for them as I understand it, is to give people more room to get out of the car with their kids, especially if this involves loading them into pushchairs or (more likely) loading them out of the shopping trolley and into the car. Yep, fair enough, no problems with that at all.

Why then, (WHY :evil: ) when the space backs onto a walkway, do they park into it forwards and then unload the shopping and kids on the roadway?

My local supermarket has just converted all the spaces I liked to park in to parent and child only. These spaces were the only ones in the carpark that backed onto a walkway, which meant I could unload straight into the boot. On Saturday morning, half the spaces were empty, the other half were filled by cars parked the 'wrong way'.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Capt Slog wrote:

Why then, (WHY :evil: ) when the space backs onto a walkway, do they park into it forwards and then unload the shopping and kids on the roadway?

Simple. Half the people who use these spaces are completely inept at reverse parking. Be thankful if the cars in straight
  • Ben6899
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Moontrane wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Made to taste sweeter.

What am I being served?

I've never been served pre-sweetened coffee at a cafe or restaurant in the U.S., and the milk served is always plain milk. Vietnamese restaurants serve what is called French coffee, which I find gag-inducingly sweet.

I can’t disagree with your experience, but it’s different from mine. Are you getting a small plastic container of a creamer? Some of those are sweet.

Came in a jug, mate. I only made the mistake once, I now drink tea when I'm in the US.
    Ben