TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Clarkson's Farm 2

Yeah, he's pulled it off again. A genuine insight into the problems farmers face, done in an entertaining way with some truly heartwarming bits thrown in. Less japes this time as he has learned things from Caleb and charlie.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    ddraver said:

Clarkson's Farm 2

Yeah, he's pulled it off again. A genuine insight into the problems farmers face, done in an entertaining way with some truly heartwarming bits thrown in. Less japes this time as he has learned things from Caleb and charlie.

Only watched the first 3 but yes, a good balance of the messing about and highlighting genuine issues not just in farming but the planning system. Whilst part of his problems were self-inflicted with how he dealt with the original farm shop it does a great job of showing how a vocal group mainly of a certain demographic and, in this area which I know quite well, often 'incomers' can effectively ride roughshod over planning policy / law. Despite what some claimed recently it also shows that it isn't weighted in the favour of an applicant - if Clarkson felt the costs / hassles of appealing are too great then what hope the average member of the public?

His views are Brexit were quite a surprise, I always saw him as a bit of a flag waver for Brexiteers.
  • ddraver
    South Park have "done" Harry & Meghan...

It's worth a look.

From a South Park fan and probably someone more on the side of the suxxexeseses than the child molester it's up to their usual standard...
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Late to the party I know.
    But have started The Traitors

Absolutely love it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Being a huge fan of the original movie 👇🏻
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Ringers_(film)
    I'm intrigued to learn that Amazon have produced a series, with Rachel Weisz, starting April 21st.
    Will definitely give it a go.

You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669

Being a huge fan of the original movie 👇🏻
    I'm intrigued to learn that Amazon have produced a series, with Rachel Weisz, starting April 21st.

Excellent film. Only ever seen it once but it has remained with me. It's that good. Shame or blessing they don't repeat it. I'd love to see it again.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Being a huge fan of the original movie 👇🏻

Excellent film. Only ever seen it once but it has remained with me. It's that good. Shame or blessing they don't repeat it. I'd love to see it again.
    Then I have some good news @photonic69.
    it's on ITVx

https://www.itv.com/watch/dead-ringers/CFD0175
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Pross
    Just watched Finding Michael on Disney+ about Spencer Matthews trying to find the body of his brother who died on Everest in 1999. Can’t really say too much without spoilers but worth a watch.

I’d never really thought about the bodies of all those that die there and are just left even when the locations of bodies are known (in this particular case they only had an approximate area). I’m always in awe of Sherpas when I see anything involving Himalayan climbing expeditions.
  • ddraver
    It's pretty grim in places. Green Boot's Cave should not be a real place. If your social algorithms have detected that you like mountain sports you tend to start getting some rather disrespectful photos at around this time too :(

I just started watching Breaking Bad again and I'm genuinely not sure I understood the slapstick aspects of it first time round. Changes the dynamic a little...
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Having watched many many hours of high altitude footage going back to the 70's and reading many books...

I do feel there are quite a few people doing some mental gymnastics to avoid helping people.

Nobody is expecting mountain rescue to turn up but some people who could be walked off with a bit of help seem to be being passed by dozens of people. Green boots was probably well past that point but you do hear some mental gymnastics for not doing anything.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    ddraver said:

It's pretty grim in places. Green Boot's Cave should not be a real place. If your social algorithms have detected that you like mountain sports you tend to start getting some rather disrespectful photos at around this time too :(

I just started watching Breaking Bad again and I'm genuinely not sure I understood the slapstick aspects of it first time round. Changes the dynamic a little...

I've recently done the same but stopped short of the final season. Find it just gets more and more bleak the further it goes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,654
    Finished the first series of Happy Valley.

Rather late to the party but it is good, though as ever, the chase is always more exciting than the capture.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited March 2023
    I'm 4 episodes into this out of 6, and it was superb from the beginning.
    Nothing not to like.

Available on All4.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • If you are not aware of the Murdaugh family, 'Murdaugh Murders: A Southern Scandal' on Netflix is well worth a watch.

Currently watching 'We Need To Talk About Cosby' on Iplayer. I think Bill Cosby is the USA's Jimmy Saville in many respects. You watch wondering how much of his career was simply engineered to act as a cover for his horrendous crimes (I suspect much, if not all of it).

'Better' and 'The Gold' are also decent standard BBC drama/crime capers, although I am conflicted by the latter as it portrays real life psycho gangsters as mere 'cheeky chappy' types, whilst generally ignoring or downplaying their actual crimes.
  • daniel_b
    I do plan to watch 'The Gold'

Also for Astrid (Murders in Paris) fans, a new series (to us) is on All4 later this month.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    Gold is fun.

I think they ran out of time for the edit so the ending is quite rushed, and there is some weird pacing as clearly they've made some tricky editorial decisions. Might have been better pairing back some of the sub-plots but you can see what they're trying to do.

I don't think Gold necessarily makes these guys out to be cheeky chappies - there's definitely some menace there.

I'm too young to remember any of it, but it's done well.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Paul Whitehouse “ Our troubled rivers” just the thing if you feel like depressing yourself.
    But it’s the thing to watch if you ever thought that privatisation was a good thing for the water industry.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ddraver said:

First series or so was much more for the laughs, I thought. Jesse as High School student, the scooby bus, Walter cooking in his grundies, etc.
    Then got progressively much darker.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Finished the first series of Happy Valley.

Rather late to the party but it is good, though as ever, the chase is always more exciting than the capture.

But it's oop norf Rick, so all the people are wholesome (Bank of Dave, passim).
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

. I read 7 years in Tibet and then watched the film which was mostly about a love interest that never featured in the book. Apparently, TV/big screen viewers need a love interest.

there was a love interest in the Film? I just watched it and missed that bit.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,534
    davidof said:

. I read 7 years in Tibet and then watched the film which was mostly about a love interest that never featured in the book. Apparently, TV/big screen viewers need a love interest.

there was a love interest in the Film? I just watched it and missed that bit.
    Long time since I saw it. Wikipedia says this which must be what I have got confused with over the years.

The film makes Harrer's son a key theme, but in the book, Harrer does not mention his wife or son. He had in fact been married and divorced, as the film shows, but his ex-wife's new husband was killed during the war and Harrer's son was raised by his ex-wife's mother.[10] In his autobiography, Harrer gives details of his contact with his son, but nothing to support what the film shows. In the book, Harrer says there was little to tie him to his home as one of the reasons for staying in Tibet and not returning to Europe

• Pross
    edited March 2023

Wolfgang is a fan of Wild Isles and wants me to take him somewhere to see Fallow Deer.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Succession. Now TV

The first episode left me a bit unsure, but persevering, I was soon hooked. You get sucked into the corporate world of a billionaire media mogul and family- think Rupert Murdoch.
    Almost every character is wholly despicable in their own unique way. Money, power and treachery in a family with no humanity. More satire than drama.

Brian Cox (not the physicist) heads a great cast. Created by Jesse Armstrong (Peep show)
    I’m on season 1, but apparently it stays strong throughout all 4 seasons.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    My wife loves Succession, I never really got into it. Suspect I just wasn't paying attention for the first few episodes and then lost interest as I wasn't following the plot. New series starts next week I think.
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    El Chapo

Netflix biography docuseries on the Mexican druglord.
    The series is well made. The story is very interesting.
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2023
    Just finished watching the final series of Endeavour, and absolutely loved it - great cast, amazing writing, beautiful locations.
    Enjoyed it so much in fact, spent the following day in Oxford.

For those not aware, this is the prequel to Morse - runs from 1967 - 1972 I think it was. Shaun Evans is such a fine actor, as is Sarah Vickers, and everyone else to be fair.

It's on ITVX, but if you choose to watch it, don't start with Series 1, episode 1, look at 'Other episodes' and in here you will find the pilot episode.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    ddraver said:

Clarkson's Farm 2

Despite utterly loathing Clarkson normally, I'll definitely be bingeing on that next time I have Prime for a discounted month.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 160
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

Clarkson's Farm 2

Only watched the first 3 but yes, a good balance of the messing about and highlighting genuine issues not just in farming but the planning system. Whilst part of his problems were self-inflicted with how he dealt with the original farm shop it does a great job of showing how a vocal group mainly of a certain demographic and, in this area which I know quite well, often 'incomers' can effectively ride roughshod over planning policy / law. Despite what some claimed recently it also shows that it isn't weighted in the favour of an applicant - if Clarkson felt the costs / hassles of appealing are too great then what hope the average member of the public?

His views are Brexit were quite a surprise, I always saw him as a bit of a flag waver for Brexiteers.
    Apparently the local council have received over 250K complaints about their decisions, they won't be able to just ignore them all. So will be interesting to see what happens in season 3.

Just a few miles away from Clarkson's farm, another farmer was allowed build a SPA/health resort on their land. But that farm isn't controlled by the same council.
  • rick_chasey
    Very much a fan of Clarkson as the voice against NIMBYism, but let's not fall into the trap that the programme is not remotely an even handed account.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    masjer said:

Succession. Now TV

The first episode left me a bit unsure, but persevering, I was soon hooked. You get sucked into the corporate world of a billionaire media mogul and family- think Rupert Murdoch.
    Almost every character is wholly despicable in their own unique way. Money, power and treachery in a family with no humanity. More satire than drama.

Brian Cox (not the physicist) heads a great cast. Created by Jesse Armstrong (Peep show)
    I’m on season 1, but apparently it stays strong throughout all 4 seasons.

My trajectory

Season 1 - great. Undeniably great.
    Season 2 - good, but they're all appalling without exception
    Season 3 - I don't care what happens to any of these people, and it's seriously affected by being filmed in lockdown
    Season 4 - can I be bothered to pay for Now TV?

However, along with White Lotus season 2, it has one of the all time great opening credit sequences.