TDF 2017: 22nd July - Stage 20 - Marseille - Marseille 22.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    edited July 2017
    Deleted
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Carlos Betancur did a good ride today and has ridden a solid Tour to finish in the Top-20. He is firmly established on the road to redemption now. Let's hope he gets back to his former greatness.

Bardet was damn lucky.

DD.

Many congratulations to him.

Meat-Pie.png

I'm sure he will enjoy one or two tomorrow evening. :D

DD.

Sod Carlos, I really want a meat pie now and I've got blooming veggies coming for dinner.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Can someone tell me what happened to MY MAN Latour? 15th at second check, then waaay down at finish line.

I assume crash?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

He rode all three Grand Tours in 1987, 1989, 1990 and 1991. Bit of an animal.

DD.
    Talking of which, Adam Hansen finished again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The_Boy wrote:
    Can someone tell me what happened to MY MAN Latour? 15th at second check, then waaay down at finish line.

I assume crash?

Is he the French TT champ?

If so then crash. The rider in the Tricolore skinsuit had been down.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:

I assume crash?

Is he the French TT champ?

If so then crash. The rider in the Tricolore skinsuit had been down.
    Yes, that's him.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Deleted.

Re-post of a previous post.

DD.
  • The_Boy
    Yeah, French champ. Shame. Team my man could have done with a good showing.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The_Boy wrote:
    I assume crash?
    He did crash, but still finished just ahead of Chavanel, the rider who set off 2 mins after him.
    He was 11th at the 2nd time-check at the time, with about two dozen riders to come.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Bugger.
    1 lousy second.
    Would have been fitting, given the shiitey French crowd.

Not a lot bardet can do about that. At least he's been the one trying to win for three weeks.
  • The_Boy
    knedlicky wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    I assume crash?
    He did crash, but still finished just ahead of Chavanel, the rider who set off 2 mins after him.
    He was 11th at the 2nd time-check at the time, with about two dozen riders to come.

Yeah, I was following on the tracker so he was 15th at second checkpoint once everyone had passed. I'm now going to have to look into what happened to him in the Alps.
  • RichN95.
    Not a lot bardet can do about that. At least he's been the one trying to win for three weeks.
    Maybe it's just looked that way because he knows he's going to lose it in the TT
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    edited July 2017
    So Froome wins the tour without winning a stage. Says it all really.

Yes, it says he finished all stages of the Tour consistently faster than anyone else.

Kittel won five stages, where did it get him other than A&E?
  • knedlicky
    The overall Prix de la combativité was given to Barguil, with a little help from the "public's" vote. :roll:
    The prize is based on 7 votes, 6 from jury members, 1 vote going to whom the spectators favoured for the prize. So only 7 votes.
    And the results were 4 votes for Barguil, 2 for De Gendt and 1 for Matthews, whereby the spectator/public vote went to De Gendt (so not what you surmised).

I'd guess the public vote is only relevant when the jury vote is split evenly between 2 or 3 names and the public vote then likely becomes the deciding vote.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    knedlicky wrote:
    The overall Prix de la combativité was given to Barguil, with a little help from the "public's" vote. :roll:
    The prize is based on 7 votes, 6 from jury members, 1 vote going to whom the spectators favoured for the prize. So only 7 votes.
    And the results were 4 votes for Barguil, 2 for De Gendt and 1 for Matthews, whereby the spectator/public vote went to De Gendt (so not what you surmised).

I'd guess the public vote is only relevant when the jury vote is split evenly between 2 or 3 names and the public vote then likely becomes the deciding vote.

Sorry, I had been told differently: that the public had two votes that went to Barguil.
    Not that I'm much bothered.
    Is it conditional upon finishing the race, like the jerseys?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    .... whereby the spectator/public vote went to De Gendt (so not what you surmised).
    Forgot to mention in my post above, the voting took place earlier today; it was possible to vote through Twitter.

And the results of the public vote were De Gendt 10,221 votes, Barguil 1,770 votes. Thus the one public vote used by the jury together with their 6 votes was given to De Gendt.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    The prize is based on 7 votes, 6 from jury members, 1 vote going to whom the spectators favoured for the prize. So only 7 votes.....whereby the spectator/public vote went to De Gendt ....
    Sorry, I had been told differently: that the public had two votes that went to Barguil.
    My info comes from a Tour journalist who voted and therefore followed up in finding out the results.

I don't know but I would guess it is conditional on finishing tomorrow, it would make sense wouldn't it?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    The prize is based on 7 votes, 6 from jury members, 1 vote going to whom the spectators favoured for the prize. So only 7 votes.....whereby the spectator/public vote went to De Gendt ....
    My info comes from a Tour journalist who voted and therefore followed up in finding out the results.

I don't know but I would guess it is conditional on finishing tomorrow, it would make sense wouldn't it?

Yeah.
    It kind of makes sense to decide today, but that descent today, got me wondering.
    Otherwise in theory, he could lose his KoM jersey, even though there are no more catagorised climbs, but keep the award, while it's still possible to do something combative. :?

Edit:
    Seems that the public did vote for TdG.....................in a big way.

DFWSL9PXoAANL_9.jpg:large
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Kwiato is the bomb. He's busted himself all Tour and he still puts in a TT like that.

He's the winner in my heart today.

Agreed x 100 ... This year he is riding at the very top of his form ... He's been almost Valverde-esque in his season long consistency of being at the sharp end when he needs to be, just when he does domestique duty it is actually a help rather than a hindrance ...

Best image of the tour was Kwia having to unclip, having given his absolute all ... A stage win would have been a fitting reward for his efforts on every stage …

Can he hold form until the Worlds?
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    type:epyt wrote:

Best image of the tour was Kwia having to unclip, having given his absolute all ... A stage win would have been a fitting reward for his efforts on every stage …

Agreed. I was watching that thinking "he looks like he's about to fall over" and a couple of minutes later...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    For all the talk of unwritten rules and last day parties etc it's sometimes forgotten that once the race hits the Champs Elysees it's 'race on'. Landa or anyone else has every right to attack off the front or race for any bonus seconds on the line.

It just doesn't happen as the gaps are near impossible to open and sustain

It would be nice to see Chavanel and Voeckler lead the race into Paris.

Didn't they neutralise the final 10km last year?
  • rick_chasey

2 months?!?!

Can lose form and gain it again in that time.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Kwiato is the bomb. He's busted himself all Tour and he still puts in a TT like that.

He's the winner in my heart today.

Agreed x 100 ... This year he is riding at the very top of his form ... He's been almost Valverde-esque in his season long consistency of being at the sharp end when he needs to be, just when he does domestique duty it is actually a help rather than a hindrance ...

luke rowe said earlier on itv that kwiato is down fr the vuelta. is it now fair to say that his move to sky wasn't a mistake

i've just seen landa finish again on the highlights. he definitely eased up before the line.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766

2 months?!?!

Can lose form and gain it again in that time.

That was what I was really meaning … can he find a way to get back to his current form by then ... Here's hoping (no idea about the World's course but pipping Sagan to the line a la MSR would be perfect) …
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    Usually on the champs they make 3km to go the final line for GC, so they can faff about for the pictures before anyone gets too excited.
  • rick_chasey
    Contador with a champ ride.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    So Froome had 51s on Uran on the 14km ITT on stage 1 but only 25s on him over 22km on stage 20. What do we read into that? Uran riding out of his skin to give it his best shot? Froome riding cautiously to avoid a monstrous cock up? Three weeks of a grand tour taking more of a toll on Froome than Uran?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    He's an enigma. Looking past his best for most of the time in the mountains but then puts in a stonking ride like that at the end of a three week tour. You can't fault his attitude or determination.
  • rick_chasey
    Uran riding an unfamiliar bike?
  • rick_chasey
    He's an enigma. Looking past his best for most of the time in the mountains but then puts in a stonking ride like that at the end of a three week tour. You can't fault his attitude or determination.

Won't see a rider who is stronger mentally.