La Course 2017: Stage 1 Briancon - Izoard ***Spoilers****

123457»

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Looks as if Lizzie is softpeddling and waiting for ELB and Megan Guarnier
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    looks like the best tactic was to not win the first stage?
  • imatfaal
    ELB Lizzie and Megan G are not waiting for anyone else. 3 up TTT against Annemiek - who has maybe 2mins. And I do hope the one of the best finishing sprinter in the world doesn't do all the work for her team mate - just to be passed by ELB because she took the wind for more than 1/3
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Another, larger group forming up behind.

Meanwhile, the gap up front is about 1'-40"
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Gap from AvV to the chasers is around 1'40" with 18km to go.

Notre Dame de Garre climb starts with around 9km to go.
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    I wonder do the two others want to help Lizzie?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Gap still at 1'40"ish

For info: no TT bikes and no race radio allowed.

For more info: Oh Lizzie, Lizzie, Lizze, who the hell pinned your race numbers? Were they drunk? Or blind? Or blind drunk? We're a nation of TTers, we have to do better than that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    So, might have well ridden a TT for second, because this isn't working at all.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Oooh, some cobbles. Nice cobbles, but they're still cobbles.
  • RonB
    Nope, I think they'll run out of road. Gap not shifted at all.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    So, might have well ridden a TT for second, because this isn't working at all.

There's a climb to come, not sure who that favours.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Probs not the group of 3. I think she's got it unless the chasers get their arses in gear.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    cougie wrote:
    Probs not the group of 3. I think she's got it unless the chasers get their arses in gear.

If the descent is quick they might make something there, but Gaurnier is getting dropped.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Boels have made a right horlicks of these two races.

They're going up the climb now - it's steep!
  • RonB
    Guarnier should've bust a gut on the flat earlier on if she didn't have the legs
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RonB wrote:
    Guarnier should've bust a gut on the flat earlier on if she didn't have the legs

Or let Lizzie loose on the Izoard, where it was clear she didn't have legs.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RonB wrote:

Or let Lizzie loose on the Izoard, where it was clear she didn't have legs.

They should have done both of these things! But IMHO Lizzie shouldn't have waited at the start; even 3 vs 1 1:40 is a huge amount of time to take back over 20-whatever km.
  • blazing_saddles
    Well, it is an interesting concept that should work better when the best climber isn't also the best trialist.
    As far as Lizzie D is concerned: Guarnier was a monkey on her back for the two days.
  • RonB
    Top 10 for LaCourse in Marseille

DFVjYwTXkAU_6is.jpg

DFLCvy-XcAAtuJk.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Well, it is an interesting concept that should work better when the best climber isn't also the best trialist.
    As far as Lizzie D is concerned: Guarnier was a monkey on her back for the two days.

Could have been a good race if Lizzie had got the nod on Izoard. Or possibly a massacre.

I think the pursuit idea is far more interesting as a concept than as an actual race. It's a pity that anyone new to women's racing would also have had to work out wtf was actually going on. It shouldn't have been the place for a novelty format.

For next year I'd like to see one mountain, one TT and a sprint in Paris, for a three day stage race using roughly the same stages as the mens race - I think it would be OK if it was split over the race. If they've got a fourth day then a medium mountain stage would fit nicely. Proper yellow, polkadot and green jerseys as well.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    If they were going to slow down and form a group it was pointless attacking and opening gaps on the Izoard. I think they've just treated it as two different races.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Effectively they were different races, Stage 1 was a classified WWT event with points on offer,even if the distance seems to break uci rules on minimum stage lengths, Stage 2 was just an invitational Saturday ride around Marseille to the top finishers and doesnt impact on WWT at all

So yeah the riders were going to go as hard as they could to get points from stage 1, if that meant gaps opened up that meant the ride around Marseille was a bit perfunctory, so be it, their focus is and has to be WWT not as a warmup sideshow act to the TdF
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Lizzie should have gone solo TT from the off IMO, but at least she still got second from the chasing group.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    awavey wrote:
    Effectively they were different races, Stage 1 was a classified WWT event with points on offer,even if the distance seems to break uci rules on minimum stage lengths, Stage 2 was just an invitational Saturday ride around Marseille to the top finishers and doesnt impact on WWT at all

So yeah the riders were going to go as hard as they could to get points from stage 1, if that meant gaps opened up that meant the ride around Marseille was a bit perfunctory, so be it, their focus is and has to be WWT not as a warmup sideshow act to the TdF

Hadn't realised that, makes it seem even more Mickey Mouse.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RonB wrote:
    DFLCvy-XcAAtuJk.jpg

Annemiek van Vleuten's shorts are nearly down to her knees! :shock:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I'm glad that ASO feel that they need a decent female race, even if they're struggling to work out how to make it happen, but this year has confrimed my feeling that the UK has the opportunity to claim and forge the best women's race in the world. TdY and Women's Tour of Britain both have a good shot, if they want it - largish crowds, reasonable amount of goodwill, and a fair bit of ambition. Can't offer the high mountains, but everything else is in place.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    davidof wrote:

Borghini may post her ride on Strava. I've asked her to post it but who knows.

she's uploaded it
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1097134546
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • imatfaal
    davidof wrote:
    davidof wrote:

Borghini may post her ride on Strava. I've asked her to post it but who knows.

she's uploaded it
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1097134546

Thanks for posting; it was an awesome ride - shame such talent not in a better format race. Nice to note now that most of the times are posted that even the polka dot jersey wearer and winner of the stage "got chicked on Strava" by AvV - well at least for some segments. Although it is annoying that some riders show segments that others do not whilst having riden the same route