La Course 2017: Stage 1 Briancon - Izoard ***Spoilers****

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Why can't there be a proper race? Surely the vast majority of the organisational costs are already covered by the men's race. It doesn't have to be 3 weeks, but surely it's not beyond the wit of ASO to have a decent 7-8 day stage race running alongside the last week or so of the men's race.

This. The sausage has it.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Why can't there be a proper race? Surely the vast majority of the organisational costs are already covered by the men's race. It doesn't have to be 3 weeks, but surely it's not beyond the wit of ASO to have a decent 7-8 day stage race running alongside the last week or so of the men's race.

Another few hundred people to find beds for every night for a start.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    gsk82 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

It's not insurmountable, if the will is there
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    gsk82 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Why do people always have to find potential barriers? :roll:

ASO just need to pull their collective finger out and make it happen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572
    Thinking about this, I suspect the women hadn't really thought about tactics and treated the stage as a one off race (Lizzie seemed slightly thrown when asked whether she felt the ride gave her a good shot in the TT). Had they thought about it a bit more they may have been better keeping the four chasers together even if Lizzie lost a few more seconds on the stage as at least then they could set off working together to chase the leader.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    gsk82 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Okay, so a longer trip at the end of a stage isn't necessarily welcome, but the women would presumably be finishing earlier so more time to get to hotels elsewhere, and if they're racing a shorter course then that might also help finding ways to mitigate the problem.

I'd really like to think that yesterday's stage was a first attempt to try and run two races at once - it had that sort of experimental feel, and I think that there'll be lessons to learn from it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

My impression is that they've been pressured into doing what they've done and they're not really keen on it generally. Especially if you take l'equipe as being a proxy for ASO.

Ultimately, if it would make them more money, they'd fling themselves into it.

[I will admit to not having strong feelings either way on this one]
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I'm not saying it can't happen. But its a real struggle as it is to find enough beds for the men's race. Plus shorter stages means longer transfer and an additional start town to be selected and set up. There's far more cost involved than someone suggested above.

At the end of the day it comes down to business. Aso aren't going to create a new loss making race just to satisfy the equality crowd. If it was economical and impractical to do it they'd already be doing it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Stage race in june.

During the Tour de Suisse, in that lul.

Head over a few of the same key stages to whet the appetite.

Problem is, the biggest women's stage race, the Giro, happens during the Tour, so no-one gonna watch it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I have thought they should run a women's Tour De France alongside the men's Paris - Nice each year.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I have thought they should run a women's Tour De France alongside the men's Paris - Nice each year.
    Or the Dauphine. Or both.

I think that a full on Women's Grand Tour is never going to happen. And that's probably for the best. I don't think it would serve women's cycling well. They need space in the calendar to develop their own events away from the men.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Stage race in june.

Problem is, the biggest women's stage race, the Giro, happens during the Tour, so no-one gonna watch it.

I'd hold it the week after the Tour. Give something for all the fans something to watch who have nothing after just spending the last 3 weeks watching the Tour. Doesn't have to be in France, could just move the Giro Rosa.
  • rick_chasey
    Stage race in june.

I'd hold it the week after the Tour. Give something for all the fans something to watch who have nothing after just spending the last 3 weeks watching the Tour. Doesn't have to be in France, could just move the Giro Rosa.

Even I have cycling fatigue after the Tour.

A classics season and 2 GTs, especially with the intensity of the Tour.

Sheesh.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Run the women's TDF in sync with the mens, with the same stage finish point each day, but different start points? With estimated finish time for the women ~90mins before the lead men are expected.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • greasedscotsman

Sheesh.

Bah, lightweight!

Even at the end of the road season, I'm looking forward to cross and track!
  • RichN95.
    Run the women's TDF in sync with the mens, with the same stage finish point each day, but different start points? With estimated finish time for the women ~90mins before the lead men are expected.
    Who is going to be paying for this? This is a business remember.
  • greasedscotsman

But this will get zero TV coverage. They aren't going to interrupt the men's race, that close to the finish, to show a women's race. You can see this with the women's Tour of Flanders.

I think it's a mistake to try and compete with the Tour for coverage. If you were trying to start a new men's stage race, you wouldn't want to hold it in July.
  • greasedscotsman

Sheesh.

Bah, lightweight!

But then a lot of people who watch the Tour, only watch the Tour. They haven't been watching since January. If you can attract those fans...
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    edited July 2017
    I'd really like to think that yesterday's stage was a first attempt to try and run two races at once - it had that sort of experimental feel, and I think that there'll be lessons to learn from it.

This is how they used to run the women's tour de France.

France had a long women's stage race until last year (well it had several but one remaining): The Route de France, which grew out of the ashes of the women's Tour de France. It was not run this year due to a dispute with the UCI over the women's calendar and World Tour status. http://www.org-rc.fr/

For info RAI's Giro Rosa coverage gets 3 million viewers so there is obviously a market for women's cycling in Italy.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey

Sheesh.

Bah, lightweight!

But then a lot of people who watch the Tour, only watch the Tour. They haven't been watching since January. If you can attract those fans...

Also, everything post Tour feels a bit crap.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    davidof wrote:

This is how they used to run the women's tour de France.

France had a long women's stage race until last year (well it had several but one remaining): The Route de France, which grew out of the ashes of the women's Tour de France. It was not run this year due to a dispute with the UCI over the women's calendar and World Tour status. http://www.org-rc.fr/

For info RAI's Giro Rosa coverage gets 3 million viewers so there is obviously a market for women's cycling in Italy.

As far as I could see at the time, Rai's Giro Rosa coverage this year was almost non-existent. 10-15 minutes sandwiched between the stage finish of the Tour and the presentations.
    There might have been more, but if there was, it was even better hidden than that slot.
    So disappointing that I didn't bother to watch.

Doesn't it just.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • greasedscotsman

Doesn't it just.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. Who isn't looking forward to the Binck Bank Tour?
  • blazing_saddles
    Tomorrow's 22.5km second stage:

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.jpg

orange_velodrome_1_0.jpg?itok=Fi8JLumd
  • RichN95.
    A very twisty course isn't it
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Not quite sure how this works. Is there anything to stop riders forming groups to reach those starting earlier?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

My impression is that they've been pressured into doing what they've done and they're not really keen on it generally. Especially if you take l'equipe as being a proxy for ASO.

Ultimately, if it would make them more money, they'd fling themselves into it.

[I will admit to not having strong feelings either way on this one]

I think ASO just aren't really keen. Cycling podcast pointed out that ASO has been quick to snap up failing men's races and bring them into the fold but they've been happy to just let the women's races fail. They went through a list, there's been a fair few.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RonB wrote:
    Not quite sure how this works. Is there anything to stop riders forming groups to reach those starting earlier?
    No, that's kinda the point. But the gaps are too big really.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Looking at the Strava efforts up the climb, interesting to 11th fastest is Leah Thorvilson, the winner of the Zwift Acadamy competition.

She's an ex-runner, and this is her first season racing at any level. No youngster either, 35yo? Quite impressive.

Edit: having said that she was More than 10 mins down, so OTL on the results sheet.
  • RichN95.
    Stage 2 about to start. I'm very interested to see how this works out.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2017
    AvV is away, Be interesting to see what Lizzie D does.

:lol: Sitting up and waiting is the answer.