TDF 2017: 13 July - Stage 12: Pau - Peyragudes 214.5kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
edited July 2017 in Pro race
Might as well set this one up as well, since it's already done. At least it's a stage to look forward, unlike tomorrow's.

Stage 12: The Pyrénées and Peloton Pain.

Start Time: 11:10cet.

Map:-
CARTE.jpg

Profile:-
PROFIL.png

A long, hard day in the Pyrenees, the first 100km include several draining foothills over which there should be an extremely protracted battle for a slot in the breakaway. The pace is bound to be fast, furious and relentless. So, by the time the riders reach the major difficulties of the day, fatigue will have begun to take effect upon many riders.

The Col de Menté will be the first to bite. It looms with 132 kilometres done. This is a 6.9 kilometres long climb of 8.1% with steepest slopes of 16%.

col-de-mente-aspet.png

At kilometre 172 the riders tackle the climb to the highest point of stage 12: Port de Balès. The mountain, peaking at an elevation of 1,755 metres, is crested after a 11.7 kilometres toil, giving it the label hors catégorie. The average gradient is 7.7% with steepest sectors of up to 11.1%.

profil_2014_16_bal%E8s.png

As the story goes, the organisers of the Tour de France were looking for new routes in the Pyrénées, so in 2006 they paved the last 5 kilometres of an old trail on the south side of Port de Balès (pronounced “baal – ess”) to link to a little forestry road on the north side creating a huge “through” climb. Dear Monsieur Prudhomme, I can think of a few places in the Alps where this strategy could be repeated.

The Tour has now crossed Port de Balès four times (’07, ’10, ’12, ‘14). Kim Kirchen was the first to cross the summit in its debut year but its most famous Tour memory must be “chain-gate” in 2010 when Andy Schleck dropped his chain during an attack and lost the yellow jersey to Alberto Contador. In 2012, and in the 2013 Vuelta, stages climbed Port des Balés and finished in Peyragudes, the same as this stage.

Some residents on the Port de Balès.

7979346046_3ed1ba9918_k.jpg

With 14 kilometres remaining the Col de Peyresourde appears. In fact it is the first climb of a double-barrelled ascent to arrival place Peyragudes. The first part amounts to 11.7 kilometres with an average gradient of 7.7% before a short drop runs to the foot of a 2.4 kilometres slog at 8.4%, which is leading to the ‘James Bond Airport’, as seen in Tomorrow Never Dies.

maxresdefault.jpg

TDF17_LR_ANNEXE_PROFIL_PARTICULIER_12_PORT_DE_BALES_COL_DE_PEYRESOURDE_PEYRAGUDES.png

Mountain passes & hills Pau / Peyragudes 214.5KM

Km 64.0 - Côte de Capvern7.7 kilometre-long climb at 3.1% - category 4

Km 111.5 - Col des Ares (797 m)7.4 kilometre-long climb at 4.6% - category 2

Km 139.5 - Col de Menté (1 349 m)6.9 kilometre-long climb at 8.1% - category 1

Km 184.0 - Port de Balès (1 755 m)11.7 kilometre-long climb at 7.7% - category H

Km 209.5 - Col de Peyresourde (1 569 m)9.7 kilometre-long climb at 7.8% - category 1

Km 214.5 - PEYRAGUDES (1 580 m)2.4 kilometre-long climb at 8.4% - category 2

Without doubt, this is the Queen stage of the Pyrénées, even though the Bastille Day bash might cause just as much of a shift in the GC.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Fabulous!

ed32e3ce869162388a7cbd91328c667d--wedding-guest-hairstyles-big-horses.jpg

And no it has nothing to with the Pyrénées but it is a LOVELY little (in memory of Richie Porte) Horse.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    They descend the Mente on the same side where Zoetemelk ran into and took out an already-floored yellow jersey Ocana, at the time (14th stage) leading by 4 mins. There is a plaque to Ocana about where it happened.
  • knedlicky
    Zubeldia's mystery-man counterpart, George Bennett (most significantly referred to as 'our secret weapon' by his own DS), has promised to expose himself on a stage still to come, and I would guess this would best suit him.
    Perhaps helped by teammate Thomas De Gendt, or vice versa?
    De Gendt is also someone who usually shows himself for one mountain stage in any tour.
    (I heard today, De Gendt's nickname is 'The Moped' - what you live and learn!)
  • above_the_cows
    knedlicky wrote:
    ...George Bennett (most significantly referred to as 'our secret weapon' by his own DS), has promised to expose himself...

Excuse me? :shock:

Is he exposing his secret weapon?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    knedlicky wrote:
    ...George Bennett (most significantly referred to as 'our secret weapon' by his own DS), has promised to expose himself...

All publicity is good publicity.

Who's his helmet sponsor, anyway?
  • above_the_cows
    knedlicky wrote:

All publicity is good publicity.

Who's his helmet sponsor, anyway?

Bell...

(end)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Ah well, ATC - at least we'll be banned together...

Back on topic though, is there any danger that this one gets a bit neutralised because everyone's expecting the next day to kick off massively?
  • above_the_cows
    Ah well, ATC - at least we'll be banned together...

Could be worse.
    Back on topic though, is there any danger that this one gets a bit neutralised because everyone's expecting the next day to kick off massively?

Probably.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    ATC, quickly, up the hillside, away from the road; you'll go weak at the knees.
    Forget the riders going by, their strengths and all the qualities they exhibit.
    Look the other way, Gascon cows, horns and everything else which may excite you, a joy to behold!

COW-02-KH0195-01P.JPG
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I'd expect Froome to have a crack. He'll want a win and this is a good chance for him. And he'll want a further shake up before Friday to make it easier to control.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    Look the other way, Gascon cows, horns and everything else which may excite you, a joy to behold!

COW-02-KH0195-01P.JPG

A marvel! Look at those beauties. I have been known to almost do a LRP while going uphill because of getting distracted by the cows.
  • above_the_cows
    This is why I am quite so excited for the Galibier stage. Me and those cows have some history.*

*and a bit of beef, nearly killed me they did on the descent and ruined my climb time on the ascent.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I'd expect Froome to have a crack. He'll want a win and this is a good chance for him. And he'll want a further shake up before Friday to make it easier to control.

Froome usually does well on those cat 1 climbs straight after an hors category. I agree I can definitely see him have s go and try and crack Aru.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Hoping Uran can hang in there again tomorrow.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    ITV4 on air from 9.45 tomorrow!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Wonder if Astana's woes means that there's a chance of an early all or nothing attack on the Port de Balès?

(But probably not)
  • RichN95.
    Apparently the finish is where they filmed a James Bond film. After two dull days hope for a lot of action tomorrow never dies. Froome will want his team to beat the living daylights out of his opponents with a view to kill them off before the weekend. The spectre of Aru looms though ready to take yellow should Sky fall. With good weather, no rain or thunder, ball to the wall descending from Bardet could take him from bronze position to gold. Finger and wrist problems for Fuglsang after his crash - we await the update from the team doctor. No such problems for Uran and Martin will want a win as having the best sprinter in the world is not enough for Quick Step. Contador will want a good performance to provide a quantum of solace to his dejected fans. Or maybe the break will live and let Di Data's Cummings have a chance
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    par excellance :D
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    RichN95 wrote:
    Apparently the finish is where they filmed a James Bond film. After two dull days hope for a lot of action tomorrow never dies. Froome will want his team to beat the living daylights out of his opponents with a view to kill them off before the weekend. The spectre of Aru looms though ready to take yellow should Sky fall. With good weather, no rain or thunder, ball to the wall descending from Bardet could take him from bronze position to gold. Finger and wrist problems for Fuglsang after his crash - we await the update from the team doctor. No such problems for Uran and Martin will want a win as having the best sprinter in the world is not enough for Quick Step. Contador will want a good performance to provide a quantum of solace to his dejected fans. Or maybe the break will live and let Di Data's Cummings have a chance

As someone who appreciates a terrible pun now and then, that was bang on the money. Penny for anyone else's thoughts?

(edit: form an orderly Q)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:

standing-ovation.gif
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:

As someone who appreciates a terrible pun now and then, that was bang on the money. Penny for anyone else's thoughts?

(edit: form an orderly Q)

Sure. It wasn't worth the effort and anyone thinking it was entertaining or amusing should likely be busy baking things for the church fete.
  • mfin
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

COW-02-KH0195-01P.JPG

Not too far to Régie Municipale de l'Abattoir at Saint Gaudens.
  • mfin
    Anyway, looks like a good Thursday!

Agree that Froome's gotta have a try at getting this one in the bag.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    I have a hunch, probably totally incorrect, that Froome will smash everyone on this.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Top punning Rich. Post if the Tour
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    I have a hunch, probably totally incorrect, that Froome will smash everyone on this.

Yes, I think so too. If the theory was that he came into the tour deliberately undercooked to peak in the third week, then he should be finding his legs about now. And if he was genuinely undercooked then he didn't look like he was ever in any trouble on the earlier mountain stages. Meanwhile Sky have had little to do - a rest day and then two sprint stages - and should be pretty fresh, while Astana lost a rider and have Fuglsang with a broken hand and Bertie fell off his bike, again, today.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    delete
  • How much time does someone need on Froome going into the final TT? I suppose also how much time is Froome likely to put into others over 22k?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    How much time does someone need on Froome going into the final TT? I suppose also how much time is Froome likely to put into others over 22k?

They all pretty much need 90 seconds, I reckon. So, say Aru virtually stands at 1'-45" or there abouts.

Anyhow, it looks like there is a slim possibility of wet descents again.

etape_12.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    And it would be on the one day I'm out of the office this week!!