TDF 2017: Stage 5-Vittel - La planche des belles filles 160.5kms *Spoilers*

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    There's only one subject of conversation on commentary.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    What are the English commentators saying? The Dutch commentators on Eurosport are going with the opinion of the other sprinter's they've interviewed and now they've said that that is the end of it.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    But what is the opinion of the other sprtiners they've interviewed?
  • TheBigBean
    What are the English commentators saying? The Dutch commentators on Eurosport are going with the opinion of the other sprinter's they've interviewed and now they've said that that is the end of it.

Lots of things that shouldn't stray from the stage 4 thread!
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    I wonder if Sky's performance in the TT is leading to a false sense of complacency about Froome and his progress since the Dauphine. Putting dimpled skinsuits to one side, G's win and Froome's margin of difference ahead of the rest of the GC contenders were definitely a "surprise", so perhaps they lucked into something in the bike setup for their team which had a disproportionate impact on the outcome.

Similarly, Froome didn't look mightily strong at the uphill drag at the end of stage 3.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either no time gaps in the GC this afternoon, or Froome bested by at least one viable contender today.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited July 2017

Brian Smith had a right old rant about Sagan yesterday.
    Today it's a back track to relegated yes, DQF no.

Degenkolb and Kittel a bit non-committal, although "hair" said that it sends a message.

Robbie McEwen is currently on the blower to ITV.
    Also back tracted. This is a step too far. Bad jury decision. No elbow contact.
    Also, Demare different because nobody crashed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    larkim wrote:
    I wonder if Sky's performance in the TT is leading to a false sense of complacency about Froome and his progress since the Dauphine. Putting dimpled skinsuits to one side, G's win and Froome's margin of difference ahead of the rest of the GC contenders were definitely a "surprise", so perhaps they lucked into something in the bike setup for their team which had a disproportionate impact on the outcome.

Similarly, Froome didn't look mightily strong at the uphill drag at the end of stage 3.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either no time gaps in the GC this afternoon, or Froome bested by at least one viable contender today.

Personal opinion is they were keeping their powder dry at the dauphine. Think someone posted on here that on the the straights during the TT Froome was 2-3kph faster than Porte, so don't think setup was the sole reason behind their results.

And on stage 3 didn't Froome finish right up there, well ahead of Porte and Bertie who both made concerted digs?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Beautiful wide canals, bet wiggins would...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    winner, some information not from the merry go round of S4.... maybe
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited July 2017

Brian Smith had a right old rant about Sagan yesterday.
    Today it's a back track to relegated yes, DQF no.

Degenkolb and Kittel a bit non-committal, although "hair" said that it sends a message.

Robbie McEwen is currently on the blower to ITV.
    Also back tracted. This is a step too far. Bad jury decision. No elbow contact.
    Also, Demare different because nobody crashed.

Smith contradicting himself?? Say it aint so

Right, ES commentary team, can we pls crack on with this stage. Please and thank you.
  • FocusZing wrote:
    Beautiful wide canals, bet wiggins would...

boney elbows too
  • TheBigBean
    I think prologues are rarely indicative of much in a three week race. I have also thought that Froome has been a bit undercooked all season, so today's stage will be interesting.

The thing is I'm not sure who else has any form.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    I think prologues are rarely indicative of much in a three week race. I have also thought that Froome has been a bit undercooked all season, so today's stage will be interesting.

I really think LRP has the form
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Quite enjoying how ITV4 are filling the rolling along, not much happening on the racing front time. Yesterday they discussed TT clothing, today Mick Bennett on how the ToB is planned and organised.

On the whole I think ITV4 commentary team are doing really well since they ditched P&P. Eurosport upped their game during the Giro, how are they doing with the TdF (I'll always take the anybody but Kirby option)?
  • blazing_saddles
    48.1kph average.
    Not really sure why they are going at it hammer and tongs, given today's stage is the hockey stick, with a bit of a kink.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

There's still that big question over whether he can survive three weeks without a mistake / bad day. He didn't manage a week of the Dauphine which brings us to the dark horse: Fuglsang
  • above_the_cows
    God this thesis is boring!
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

There's still that big question over whether he can survive three weeks without a mistake / bad day. He didn't manage a week of the Dauphine which brings us to the dark horse: Fuglsang

Sure. But on the pure question of form - as opposed to, dunno, mental fortitude, luck etc - I think he has that...
  • 48.1kph average.
    Not really sure why they are going at it hammer and tongs, given today's stage is the hockey stick, with a bit of a kink.

The Rich Fantasy in a nutshell
  • This finish is one of me fav sights in pro cycling. When the winner pops up at the top with that forest backdrop....
  • above_the_cows
    This finish is one of me fav sights in pro cycling. When the winner pops up at the top with that forest backdrop....

200.gif#0-grid1
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    This finish is one of me fav sights in pro cycling. When the winner pops up at the top with that forest backdrop....

Like this, you mean?

le-11-juillet-2012-chris-froome-s-imposait-a-la-planche-des_3511097_530x434p.jpg?v=1
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    lol the riders are being eaten
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:

Like this, you mean?

le-11-juillet-2012-chris-froome-s-imposait-a-la-planche-des_3511097_530x434p.jpg?v=1

well not THAT one obvs
    :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    A Muster cheese maker.

09-hiking-french-mountains.jpg?w=800&h=600
  • salsiccia1
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Like this, you mean?

well not THAT one obvs
    :lol:

:wink:
  • salsiccia1
    That shot is amazing - like a 4 team TTT at the front
  • blazing_saddles
    Kirby on Eurosport.
    ITV going on and on about the ToB in monotone.

sue%C3%B1o+bicicleta+2.jpg
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    David Millar??? Monotone??? Say it ain't so...
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    A river cruise looks quite appealing.

#mustbegettingoldortheadvertsarereallyboring #whendoestheracingproperbegin?