**Stage One** - Dusseldorf > Dusseldorf - Tour de France 2017 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    Sky: 1-3-6-8th.

Twitter and the Clinic are in for a very busy evening.

Hope I get to see this MJ at some point in the future.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

One of his white jerseys is in a pub by where I sometimes play hockey, so hopefully one may find its way there. Or maybe he can donate one to Bale's new sports bar.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    The next best "GC" rider to Chris Froome time wise? Simon Yates at 25 seconds.
    Or 37 seconds if you count Geraint as a dark horse.

The french will be whinging already.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    William Fotheringham has rapidly deleted his tweet saying Thomas was the seventh Briton to wear the yellow jersey. He'd somehow managed to forget about Cavendish last year.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Quintana not wearing an aero helmet?

I'm guessing he wrote the TT off, just wanted to finish it and is waiting for the mountain stages.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:

One of his white jerseys is in a pub by where I sometimes play hockey, so hopefully one may find its way there. Or maybe he can donate one to Bale's new sports bar.

I'm now torn between reading more back tracking Lion's comments in the BBC sport's section or just the crying on CN.
    William Fotheringham has rapidly deleted his tweet saying Thomas was the seventh Briton to wear the yellow jersey. He'd somehow managed to forget about Cavendish last year.

Keep it simple: the first Welsh. :D
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    edited July 2017
    Izagirre DNF as well, crashed the same corner as Valverde :(
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    ben@31 wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Quintana not wearing an aero helmet?

I'm guessing he wrote the TT off, just wanted to finish it and is waiting for the mountain stages.

Moves his head too much.
  • blazing_saddles
    Froome
    Yates +25"
    Porte +35"
    Quintana +36"
    Majka +37"
    Talansky +37"
    D. Martin +37"
    Bardet +39"
    Aru +40"
    Contador +42"
    Fuglsang +42"
    Meintjes +01'00"
    Chaves 01'01"
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Staggered to learn that British riders have held the yellow jersey more times than Dutch riders.

Yellow jersey is tonight the maillot G
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    It was obvious he was going to win.
  • yourpaceormine
    Big big loss for Teenytana today, 36" and probably more importantly Valverde
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    Is it my imagination or has Brian Smith become a clone of Jonathon Edwards?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    For someone supposedly riding for someone else, that was crazy speed into that corner.
    Quintana is screwed on day one.

That was my thought, looked like someone trying to get number 1 status.
  • rick_chasey
    Gesink good for top 10.

Have been royally told off that he's definitely riding for stage wins so scrap that.
  • yourpaceormine
    edited July 2017
    Ion Izaguirre out (crash on Señor Hairplugs corner)
  • RichN95.
    Ion Izagirre also crashed out of the race
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    On the last 3km of straight Froome was riding 54-55km/h vs. Porte 52km/h. This has nothing to do with taking risks, Froome's form is much better than Dauphine.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    So first ever Welsh yellow jersey, is it the first Welsh leader of any GT or has G worn pink in the past?
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    First grand tour stage win for G

Valverde has a broken kneecap
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    So, so happy for Thomas. Sky looking ominous, disaster for Quintana and big amounts of time lost by other GC riders.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    So Voeckler is going to be in a soap opera post-cycling?

OF COURSE HE IS!

Le Dernier Vin d'Été?

:D

DDqUhXuXYAAJ0h3.jpgDDqUctpWAAA-AtF.jpg

Sorry about the delay - but :lol::lol::lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    Much bile and salty tears being spilled, elsewhere.
    A sure sign that it's July 1st.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    After a few sunny french stages, with horses running through fields of sun flowers, the rain and the result today will seem irrelevant with all the action that has happened in the meantime...
    Half man, Half bike
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    So, so happy for Thomas. Sky looking ominous, disaster for Quintana and big amounts of time lost by other GC riders.
    Spectacularly bad start for Quintana, 30 secs lost to Froome and his main man on the road. Froome takes 30+secs on all his main rivals on day one, so much for not being in form, Sky not as strong etc etc
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,438
    Spectacularly bad start for Quintana, 30 secs lost to Froome and his main man on the road. Froome takes 30+secs on all his main rivals on day one, so much for not being in form, Sky not as strong etc etc

I find it hard to believe that people actually thought Froome and Team Sky would be anything less than ready for the Tour. Best riders best team, after 1 day.. gonna take something different to upset the apple cart. Might be a bit of infighting as to who take the yellow cause G looked fresh, strong and thin.

The weather has had some impact today but Porte particularly shouldn't be losing that much time.

Final thing, Anybody any idea where Jumbo buy their rubber? Or which particular brand of rubber they were using (i need to avoid)?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006

The 30" is pretty much what I expected given the conditions. Loss of Valverde more significant. Didn't expect Valv to actively ride for Nairo, more about the rest having to watch the both of them.
  • RichN95.
    I thought that was about what Quintana would expect to lose (though not his best teammate). Porte and Contador were the ones below expected today.
  • rick_chasey
    Spaniards complaining "if this was the Vuelta they'd be slamming the course route".

It was an outstanding effort from sky. Very impressed.

Just a shame for what it likely means for the rest of the race.

It's not quite Lance catching Ulrich but it's not that far off....

I guess the only hope is Sky get knackered having to honour it. But that is really clutching straws....
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Sky obviously nailed their tyre pressures- and who said marginal gains was dead?