DC7wBynWsAAepLU.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    God i hope Groenewegen gets a win.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

:lol:

Kristoff at odds with da management, it seems. They're not taking Morkov for his leadouts and he's not 'appy

Yes thought that looked an odd omission given Morkov went there specifically as part of Kristoff's leadout and the team look Kristoff focussed.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    what's the under/over on Landa throwing some shenanigans a la Vuelta 2015, esp as he's almost defo MOV-bound next year?

Abso flipping lutely.
    He'll be a mountain domestique in the Tejay van Autobus mold.

Rabo Jumbo look good and solid, now that their best riders aren't Dutch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    A small to the rules on flat stages. Separate times now only given if there is a split in the bunch of three seconds, instead of one second.

Also eight man teams in Grand Tours in 2018
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    r0bh wrote:
    Sky = Froome, Henao, Kiri, Knees, Kwia, Landa, Nieve, Rowe, Thomas

Without taking team leaders/ top GC men, who would you swap with another team?

That's a serious strong outfit
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    edited June 2017
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider's PTP picks

DC7wBynWsAAepLU.jpg

They have decided to ignore the GC and just go for stage wins this year. At least they will get plenty of those!

Does cause me a PTP GC dilemma though...who to go for.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Unconvinced how much use Geraint will be in the mountains this Tour

But you'd be a brave selector to leave him at home

And he's invaluable on other terrain even if he's not at his Giro form on the really steep stuff
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited June 2017
    Seems brave to pop him in and leave us with the question ... #wereiswout ?
  • rick_chasey

And he's invaluable on other terrain even if he's not at his Giro form on the really steep stuff

Not much of that though.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    r0bh wrote:
    Sky = Froome, Henao, Kiri, Knees, Kwia, Landa, Nieve, Rowe, Thomas

Without taking team leaders/ top GC men, who would you swap with another team?

That's a serious strong outfit

How many of them would make legitimate leaders on lesser teams?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Wout is coming back from a knee injury, such a shame. Hope he's 100% for the spanish tour.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    A small to the rules on flat stages. Separate times now only given if there is a split in the bunch of three seconds, instead of one second.

Saw that earlier. Both of those make a lot of sense to me.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I had an idea today. Reduce GT teams to seven riders, but on each of the two rest days each team is allowed one substitution (for injury or tactical reasons). Obviously, the sub would be out of the GC running, but eligible for everything else.
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I had an idea today. Reduce GT teams to seven riders, but on each of the two rest days each team is allowed one substitution (for injury or tactical reasons). Obviously, the sub would be out of the GC running, but eligible for everything else.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12976064&p=18964892&hilit=substitution#p18964892
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12976064&p=18964892&hilit=substitution#p18964892
    OK. So I had your idea today, but with reforms.
  • blazing_saddles
    Orica Scott

Albasini
    Chaves
    Durbridge
    Hayman
    Howson
    Impey
    Keukeleire
    Kreuziger
    Yates S

I've read some mutterings elsewhere about Chaves being isolated early in the mountains.
    Looks like he has pretty solid mountains support to me.
  • blazing_saddles
    Trek Segafredo - Contador, Degenkolb, Cardoso, de Kort, Felline, Gogl, Irizar, Mollema, Pantano.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Taylor Phinney making his Tour debut for Cannondale-Drapac.
  • tailwindhome
    It's going to be great this year, isn't it?
  • RichN95.
    It's going to be great this year, isn't it?
    I find how good the race is isn't that important to me. It's the festival of cycling - like Cheltenham for horse racing, Hay for books, Edinburgh for comedy

It's the pinnacle of the sport. Regardless of what riders may do elsewhere, in my mind they can't be seen as truly top class unless they've turned up at the Tour and made their mark.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sunweb

DC2TD7iWsAAgNII.jpg

(image from Procyclingstats.com)
    Great to see King Albert Timmer riding.
  • rick_chasey
    Pleased for Teunissen.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Right then, Grand Depart in Dusseldorf is a go! Plan so far is to get the train in at around 10:30/11am, head to the start and try and check out the buses and riders. Then try and find a suitable spot on the course near a big screen/beer tent to spend the rest of the afternoon scoffing Haribo and drinking Pils.

Anybody got any suggestions on how best to spend the day? Only time I've ever seen Le Tour before was on Holme Moss which is a bit different to a city opening time-trial.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Is there a chance in this tour, somebody like a Voeckler could nick a few minutes early on, and come close to defending it to Paris? What with the lack of summit finishes.

Though I guess the big teams will not be letting much get away in this tour, with that in mind.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Right then, Grand Depart in Dusseldorf is a go! Plan so far is to get the train in at around 10:30/11am, head to the start and try and check out the buses and riders. Then try and find a suitable spot on the course near a big screen/beer tent to spend the rest of the afternoon scoffing Haribo and drinking Pils.

Anybody got any suggestions on how best to spend the day? Only time I've ever seen Le Tour before was on Holme Moss which is a bit different to a city opening time-trial.

Top tip here. Take comfortable shoes.
  • rick_chasey
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

It normally starts quite late.

Best to grab a nice lunch, and then worry about watching it.

For prologues, after the first hour the buzz wears off and it can get quite dull and tiring. I'd be tempted to watch the first hour, go chill in one of the party areas and make your way to a spot for the final 40 mins or so when the big guns come out.
  • Bluemoon17 wrote:

It normally starts quite late.

Best to grab a nice lunch, and then worry about watching it.

For prologues, after the first hour the buzz wears off and it can get quite dull and tiring. I'd be tempted to watch the first hour, go chill in one of the party areas and make your way to a spot for the final 40 mins or so when the big guns come out.

Agreed. And be prepared to squeeze between people at the barriers with the use of a little charm