snap general election?

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    The Mail was bad enough

sun.750.jpg
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251
    bompington wrote:
    Please remember that "other people" includes your children, parents, grandparents etc.
    You know, one of the things I used to like about this forum was that most posters didn't just think in simplistic clichés :roll:

Unfortunately this election is all about simplistic cliches and it's going to be as divisive as it gets. Let's hope we'll all be on the right side of it then shall we rather than caring about what the result is likely to bring?

How about a different simplistic cliché - Do you think you care more than the government ever will about your children, parents, grandparents?
  • kingstongraham
    So are we heading to another of those massive, decisive, crushing victories with 44% of the vote?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    bompington wrote:
    Please remember that "other people" includes your children, parents, grandparents etc.
    You know, one of the things I used to like about this forum was that most posters didn't just think in simplistic clichés :roll:

Unfortunately this election is all about simplistic cliches and it's going to be as divisive as it gets. Let's hope we'll all be on the right side of it then shall we rather than caring about what the result is likely to bring?

How about a different simplistic cliché - Do you think you care more than the government ever will about your children, parents, grandparents?

Not only do I care more about my family than the government will ever, despite them having a statutory requirement to provide a free at point of care NHS amongst many other things, I also care about plenty of other people as well, even some who I only know from the internet, so I do have a concern at the voting record of a mad woman who insists that her faith allows her to vote to send kids to war, to replace Trident and yet have amongst the worst voting records for any kind of social reform.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Hopefully the referendum turnout will be repeated here. Although I can't see it, as those inclined to vote last time around will have no idea as to who to vote for.

Keep thinking it should be interesting, as people who voted Brexit and have since changed their minds could have a big say...as well as those who didn't vote thinking it was a foregone conclusion.

But the reality is there isn't a viable alternative offering anything for the 48%.

I'm really torn as I quite like what Corbyn has to say and he really seems quite compassionate and interested in fighting for everyone. But then he's surrounded himself with the likes of McDowell and Abbott and I literally haven't got a clue what his manifesto is.

It's going to be a cakewalk, but don't think it'll be the landslide May and her cronies think.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Dinyull wrote:
    Hopefully the referendum turnout will be repeated here. Although I can't see it, as those inclined to vote last time around will have no idea as to who to vote for.

Keep thinking it should be interesting, as people who voted Brexit and have since changed their minds could have a big say...as well as those who didn't vote thinking it was a foregone conclusion.

But the reality is there isn't a viable alternative offering anything for the 48%.

I'm really torn as I quite like what Corbyn has to say and he really seems quite compassionate and interested in fighting for everyone. But then he's surrounded himself with the likes of McDowell and Abbott and I literally haven't got a clue what his manifesto is.

It's going to be a cakewalk, but don't think it'll be the landslide May and her cronies think.

There is a core of constituencies who would vote for the spouse of the Prime Minister of Denmark if you stuck a red rosette on him so yes I agree that Labour will lose fewer seats than most think. If memory serves me correctly then the LibDems lost quite a few seats by a few thousand votes so could be ripe for the picking.
  • kingstongraham
    bompington wrote:

Not only do I care more about my family than the government will ever, despite them having a statutory requirement to provide a free at point of care NHS amongst many other things, I also care about plenty of other people as well, even some who I only know from the internet, so I do have a concern at the voting record of a mad woman who insists that her faith allows her to vote to send kids to war, to replace Trident and yet have amongst the worst voting records for any kind of social reform.

Mad woman?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:

Mad woman?
    Yes, it's the popular new term for "female whose views I disagree with"

It may be pointless to say it, due to the fundamental blindness of lefties, but I will still point out, yet again, that it is possible to be in favour of free markets and even be socially conservative, without advocating the compulsory eating of the babies of the poor.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    Not even a little nibble?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry wrote:
    Not even a little nibble?

No, the compulsory part makes it sound like state intervention.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    bompington wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Mad woman?
    Yes, it's the popular new term for "female whose views I disagree with"

It may be pointless to say it, due to the fundamental blindness of lefties, but I will still point out, yet again, that it is possible to be in favour of free markets and even be socially conservative, without advocating the compulsory eating of the babies of the poor.

you mean people whose views differ to yours????

we are not all card carrying communists, not wanting to renew trident, not wanting hs2 or wanting better schools, transport, having compassion for the mentally ill or disabled and a better nhs, does not make someone a "blind leftie" many of these things the tory party used to believe in, including the EU now they want austerity, more austerity and then to top it all, remove us from our biggest single trading partner - even Maggie didnt want that....... so what does this say about the present Government and where it sits in the political spectrum?

i think that if you are PM and base your political beliefs on God then yes you are possibly Mad.

We ve had plenty of posts on here where the majority opinion is that anyone who believes in a non existent God is quite mad.
  • rjsterry
    Well I'm up for eating pretty much anything, but I'd hate to feel like I had to.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    mamba80 wrote:
    i think that if you are PM and base your political beliefs on God then yes you are possibly Mad.

We ve had plenty of posts on here where the majority opinion is that anyone who believes in a non existent God is quite mad.
    So, seeing as how the existence of God has not, in the the eyes of the majority, been proven one way or the other, you would presumably agree that it would be equally mad not to believe in a God who does exist? Or how about leaving theology to the theologians and judging politicans on the results of their policies?
  • mamba80
    bompington wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

So, seeing as how the existence of God has not, in the the eyes of the majority, been proven one way or the other, you would presumably agree that it would be equally mad not to believe in a God who does exist? Or how about leaving theology to the theologians and judging politicans on the results of their policies?

she is the one who brings up her personal faith in christ, that it helps her make difficult decisions and that we should all draw strength from our christian values and come together for brexit and beyond.

i judge May and the Tories on their policies, which i did list out for you, i ve also witnessed first hand the results of spending cuts on the dying (my mum) and on the disabled (my GF's son) i also cycle on roads that are frankly dangerous for cyclists, yet this is all ok and we (according to you) must believe in TM and the tories...... or we are all blind lefties :roll:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    bompington wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Or how about leaving theology to the theologians and judging politicans on the results of their policies?
    So leave theologians to talk bollox and leave politicians to live through their teeth?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    mamba80 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

i judge May and the Tories on their policies, which i did list out for you, i ve also witnessed first hand the results of spending cuts on the dying (my mum) and on the disabled (my GF's son) i also cycle on roads that are frankly dangerous for cyclists, yet this is all ok and we (according to you) must believe in TM and the tories...... or we are all blind lefties :roll:

It's amazing Labour have got it so wrong that despite the country being as divided as ever, undertaking hard brexit and suffering thanks to the cuts that Conservatives will win at a canter.
  • bianchimoon
    Dinyull wrote:

It's amazing Labour have got it so wrong that despite the country being as divided as ever, undertaking hard brexit and suffering thanks to the cuts that Conservatives will win at a canter.

Yes, Britain is a middle of the road country, go too far left or right and you lose... the lib dems seem the best of a bad buch at the moment, tho' I think Farron will easily be tripped up by his 'christian' views
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mamba80
    My little theory is that the more Labour bang on about the "working class" the more they ll haemorrhage support, people dont like being called working class, they like to think that was their parents/grand parents generation and they are on the up, so they look upon the tories as more aspiration and where they want to be... but i might also be mad too.

Blair concentrated on the so called middle classes and he won 3 elections.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    As usual it's always amusing to read that if you're not supportive of the Tories then you're a card carrying communist.

And that, unfortunately, is the problem with British politics. No room for any kind of social conscience or awareness without being "left wing".

And yes Bomps, she's mad as a box of frogs. Anyone who has publicly declared that her faith will guide her to make the right decision and then votes for war is delusional.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Dinyull wrote:

Yes, Britain is a middle of the road country, go too far left or right and you lose... the lib dems seem the best of a bad buch at the moment, tho' I think Farron will easily be tripped up by his 'christian' views

Could be right, although at least he's generally voted against his religious principles which kind of saves him for me.
  • kingstongraham
    As usual it's always amusing to read that if you're not supportive of the Tories then you're a card carrying communist.

And that, unfortunately, is the problem with British politics. No room for any kind of social conscience or awareness without being "left wing".

And yes Bomps, she's mad as a box of frogs. Anyone who has publicly declared that her faith will guide her to make the right decision and then votes for war is delusional.

You weren't just "not supportive of the Tories". You said that the only reason to vote for the Tories is if you are rich and don't care about other people. You also haven't been accused of being a card carrying communist for that, but a leftie. I wouldn't see that as an insult myself.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

She's not mad.

She's cool and calculating. She managed to put herself in the perfect position to lead the party after the Referendum, whichever side won she let the boys get on with the arguing allowing her to come out of the debate looking like a mature adult.

She's been very believable when claiming she wouldn't call a general election, giving her the element of surprise, and the chance to fight an election that no one else is really ready for.

Plus she has framed the debate well, and now anyone that disagrees with her idea of Brexit is some kind of traitor in the eyes of the more popular newspapers...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • kingstongraham
    Jez mon wrote:

She's not mad.

She's cool and calculating. She managed to put herself in the perfect position to lead the party after the Referendum, whichever side won she let the boys get on with the arguing allowing her to come out of the debate looking like a mature adult.

She's been very believable when claiming she wouldn't call a general election, giving her the element of surprise, and the chance to fight an election that no one else is really ready for.

Plus she has framed the debate well, and now anyone that disagrees with her idea of Brexit is some kind of traitor in the eyes of the more popular newspapers...

Without actually spelling out what that is yet.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Jez mon wrote:

She's not mad.

Without actually spelling out what that is yet.

Je voudrais un rouge, blanc et bleu brexit.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Jez mon wrote:

She's not mad.

i agree People who are insane can also be very plausible and convincing, especially when it comes to seizing power, history is littered with examples.

so May's christian beliefs... plays well with some natural tory voters, yet doesnt scripture also say Do not lie? yet that is exactly what she has done, though i guess she can confess through pray and seek forgiveness.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39634287
    Suspended MP Simon Danczuk wants to stand for Labour in election

So - basically - this chap - who has done a lot of work on Child abuse - including Rochdale - admits to sending " explicit messages with a 17-year-old girl." still wants to stand as a representative of the people?!

Is he mad?!

I mean - none of us are 100% perfect - but surely there needs to be some level of decency in order to be an MP ...
  • bianchimoon
    Slowbike wrote:

So - basically - this chap - who has done a lot of work on Child abuse - including Rochdale - admits to sending " explicit messages with a 17-year-old girl." still wants to stand as a representative of the people?!

Is he mad?!

I mean - none of us are 100% perfect - but surely there needs to be some level of decency in order to be an MP ...
    These people tend to be so narcissistic, that they can't see faults within themselves
  • rjsterry
    mamba80 wrote:
    ... having compassion for the mentally ill...
    Are you selective about for which of the mentally ill we should have compassion. I suppose it is much easier to label someone mentally ill than come up with actual counter arguments to their ideas.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Slowbike wrote:

Is he mad?!

he looks like a paragon of virtue next to this chap who they all happily voted for

Allegations about Vaz were published by the British Sunday Mirror tabloid in early September 2016. It was reported that he had engaged in unprotected sexual activity with male prostitutes and had said he would pay for cocaine if they wished to use it.

At the end of October 2016, Vaz was appointed to the Justice Select Committee, after he had put himself forward and was nominated by his party.[60] A House of Commons motion to block this development was defeated; they are rare on such an issue. According to Laura Hughes of The Daily Telegraph, Conservative Party whips told their MPs to vote for Vaz in the division to prevent a precedent being created of such appointments being rejected by MPs. Over 150 Conservative MPs voted in support of Vaz.[1]