Ronde van Vlaanderen 2017 *spoilers*

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Haha.

Hey, when you're Sep, you gotta expect you're gonna crash, no?
    When I saw him & a Sky rider go down I assumed it was Geraint Thomas. Even though I knew he wasn't racing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,832
    Pross wrote:
    I've never understood what the pros think they're proving riding without mitts.

I don't in summer.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,446
    Pross wrote:
    I've never understood what the pros think they're proving riding without mitts.

I don't in summer.

There's an obvious retort to that comment.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    i'm not a pro?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    What happened to Rowe and Sep? Can't find any footage.

(caught 30-10 km on my phone, credit to SBB WiFi it's good enough to stream good quality video)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:

(caught 30-10 km on my phone, credit to SBB WiFi it's good enough to stream good quality video)

Bizzaro accident between the 2nd Kwaremont and Paterberg.

Sep just stacks is hard and Rowe & a Bora rider get taken out as a result.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    ddraver wrote:

Sep fell off all on his own, seemed to lose his front wheel, and Rowe couldn't avoid him.
  • ddraver
    Thanks, first time for 3 years I havent been there for the weekend and the race...weird feeling
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Just saw Rowe's crash. No chance of avoiding it. Can't figure out why the fella in front went down, didn't look slippery etc.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,132
    Just saw Rowe's crash. No chance of avoiding it. Can't figure out why the fella in front went down, didn't look slippery etc.

He got his front tyre stuck in the gap between concrete slabs (which a lot of Belgian roads are made from).
  • ddraver

Waar is die Feestje?
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,869
    edited April 2017
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Sep has a broken finger.

(and no skin on his hands).

He can't buy a break, can he? That's him out of Roubaix presumably.

Ouch. Poor guy. He looked in good form too, and didn't seem to be doing anything "stupid" in the race.

Well, apart from not wearing gloves while racing.

Delete.
    One joke can only stretch so far.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Fair.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    ddraver wrote:

Waar is die Feestje?

???????
  • ddraver
    (where did you see it?)
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    thegibdog wrote:
    Sep has a broken finger.

(and no skin on his hands).
    Sounds like Roubaix could be painful.

Just re-watching the race. Gilbert rode the gully on the opposite side from where Sagan crashed, where there was plenty of room away from the crowd & barriers.

I'd imagine he was doing what Armstrong likes to do - right really close to the crowd/barriers to put his competitors off following his wheel.

Good shout hadn't thought of that but it's definitely possible as it does make it difficult.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Superb race by Gilbert and Quickstep. Not too disappointed by the Sagan crash. He took the risk riding so close to barriers. Decent, if anonymous, ride by Durbridge too.

Think Stybar should change teams, though. Barely gets a fair crack with QS being so stacked.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    That is the most "unbelievable" ride I've seen in years. Gilbert disappears for a couple of years and then a move to QS and a new special training plan has got him back to his old winning ways. I need to employ his coach.

Still wonder what exactly caused Sagans crash but what will it take for the uci to only allow barriers that don't have the feet exposed? Surely it can't be that difficult and would make it all safer anyway.
    You have a point about the barriers but if they had been riding in the middle of the road it would have never happened. You takes your chance.

+1

And, with all due respect, re Gilbert I can't agree on his ride being 'unbelievable'. He's always been total class. A few lean years recently but in great form this year; and everything went his way today. Clearly the strongest rider today but not in an eyebrow raising way.

Agree that he's always been pure class. Sometimes a change of scenery and a sit down with your new boss works wonders.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Milton50 wrote:
    Agree that he's always been pure class. Sometimes a change of scenery and a sit down with your new boss works wonders.
    Gilbert is classy alright (spiky hairstyle excepted). But his ride here was flattered by the Sagan crash.

Nice to see him win like this for Quick-Step.
  • milton50
    I would hide before Rick sees that comment if I were you.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Gilbert is classy alright (spiky hairstyle excepted). But his ride here was flattered by the Sagan crash.

No way was his ride 'flattered' by Sagan's crash

He went from 50km out. He didnt let up for one moment. He powered up every climb, and in the last 5km only lost a few secs. He put Sagan under such pressure that Sagan took the risk and rode too close to the barrier.
  • rick_chasey
    Milton50 wrote:

So name a climb where Gilbert lost more than 5 seconds to the Sagan GvA/ GvA Dylan van Barrle group?

You've got 8 to chose from.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,697
    Macaloon wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Vanmarke

Keep the faith.

It's tough being a fan.
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'm not sure why Phil G merits 3rd favourite status.
    Bang in form, strong team, used to do well in the race when he rode it.

Well, I didn't see that coming!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'm not sure why Phil G merits 3rd favourite status.
    Bang in form, strong team, used to do well in the race when he rode it.

Well, I didn't see that coming!
    I did. My first PTP success of the season. (But not in that manner)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Certainly agree that this was not flattered by anything. It was no given that Sagan would have ever even have got back to PG anyway. To attack that far out with that many of the hard climbs left was mad. He's looked strong as hell all season, who knows how, but that was a proper way to win the face.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • TheBigBean
    Gilbert has finished on the podium now in 4 monuments. Looks like he is a possible for P-R which would only be his second time.
  • milton50
    I would say that I can't see him winning Paris Roubaix but I'm going to keep schtum after what happened yesterday. Will QS all be working for Boonen to begin with?
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Gilbert has finished on the podium now in 4 monuments. Looks like he is a possible for P-R which would only be his second time.

He's a better shout for Amstel.

Should skip PR.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    TheBigBean wrote:

He's a better shout for Amstel.

Should skip PR.

Pretty sure he's not down to ride P-R, which is a shame.