Milan San Remo 2017 - Spoilers

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Anyone got the time estimates for Turchino/Cipressa/Poggio/Sanremo? (basically when should I have my telly switched on :) )

4ish.
    4ish (UK time) is when it's due to finish. They'll hit the Cipressa around 3.15.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Anyone got the time estimates for Turchino/Cipressa/Poggio/Sanremo? (basically when should I have my telly switched on :) )

you mean you dont want to listen to CK for 4 hours ?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    sherer wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I actually think I might go to the Rapha cafe in Manchester. Last year there was a big multinational crowd for the finale, was a good atmosphere.

I am aware I will probably get flamed on here for that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,873
    Rightly so.

You're going for a drink, with the cycling as a backdrop, in a place where the oneupmanship to be more knowledgeable will be irresistible and equally irritating.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    sherer wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I don't want to raise any false hopes but the Eurosport website says Rob Hatch.
  • Bob, enjoy yerself watching it in the Rapha cafe, mkay

Ignore Rick :P
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,134
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I actually think I might go to the Rapha cafe in Manchester. Last year there was a big multinational crowd for the finale, was a good atmosphere.

Why? It's much more fun to watch a race with a knowledgeable crowd that on your own at home. Unless you are Rick.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Why? It's much more fun to watch a race with a knowledgeable crowd that on your own at home. Unless you are Rick.

When it comes to watching cycling, l'enfer c'est les autre.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    andyp wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

When it comes to watching cycling, l'enfer c'est les autre.

I like to think you set up a mirror either side of the sofa so that you can watch it with an infinite number of yourself.
  • bobmcstuff
    Last year when I watched it there, it was pretty quiet till after the Cipressa when it suddenly got really full, and a large number of the people who turned up weren't English (so I couldn't have one upped their knowledge anyway cos I had no idea what they were on about, notwithstanding the fact they probably knew more than me anyway...).

The atmosphere was really good, it was fun being surrounded by euros shouting at the telly...
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    ^ turning up after the cipressa was simply done to prove they know more than you.

No point watching before that generally.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    I'm with Rick - cycling is best watched alone or with a family member with some knowledge of the sport who can serve as a recipient of your pearls of cycling wisdom - just make sure it isn't someone who tries to regale you with theirs as that would be annoying.

As for atmosphere - last year my Italian ( he thinks of himself as Sardinian) neighbour who has a picture of Coppi in his hallway let out a shout of "La Primavera" loud enough to be audible through the party wall - what more could you need.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Last year when I watched it there, it was pretty quiet till after the Cipressa when it suddenly got really full, and a large number of the people who turned up weren't English (so I couldn't have one upped their knowledge anyway cos I had no idea what they were on about, notwithstanding the fact they probably knew more than me anyway...).

The atmosphere was really good, it was fun being surrounded by euros shouting at the telly...
    Turn up earlier than the Cipressa and then point out that the johnny-come-latelys hadn't appreciated the work done by certain teams in the 20km running up to it.

Me. I'm playing hockey at 10.30*, followed by watching hockey - ending at 2.00 Maybe time for a pint before heading home for 3

*I'm at Cheltenham all day Friday. A 10.30 start is horrible - being able to watch MSR is a silver lining on a dark cloud.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    I'll go on the club run, should be done by 12, coffee then go home and sort myself out. Need to be in town at 5 anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I'll go on the club run, should be done by 12, coffee then go home and sort myself out. Need to be in town at 5 anyway.

Club run?

This is MSR - it's on on a Saturday.
  • Right. It's now time to share the info that 3 nights ago I dreamed that Moscon finished 3rd

Strange but true.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,134
    Who won so we can all get our bets on?
  • andyp wrote:

Daft thing is that when I woke up I could only remember the 3rd placed rider :oops:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Club run?

Yes we have a ride on a Saturday and a Sunday.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    andyp wrote:

Daft thing is that when I woke up I could only remember the 3rd placed rider :oops:

Surely if you know who is definitely coming third you can make just as much money? ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Club run?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • FoldingJoe wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Surely if you know who is definitely coming third you can make just as much money? ;)

Yeah, well I once dreamed I'd won 50 mln in the lottery, so I'm not sure about this!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Club run?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I usually only go on the Saturday one as it starts at a more sensible time (9). The Sunday one is longer but they start at 8, and I don't like getting up at 7 on a Sunday!! Specially if I want to have a few beers.

Think the Saturday one was originally supposed to be for new riders/recovering riders etc. but a lot of riders either want to do both or prefer the later start.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Yeah, well I once dreamed I'd won 50 mln in the lottery, so I'm not sure about this!

Now he tells us! :D
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,967
    So over before the Ireland vs England match - perfect.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Gaviria crashed yesterday and has hurt wrist, but will start tomorrow
  • rick_chasey
    Nothing a bit of Tramadol won't solve right?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708
    Rick - does Mrs Chasey get kicked out of the house, or is she acceptable company during a race? I'm assuming no forumites would cut it.
  • Gaviria crashed yesterday and has hurt wrist, but will start tomorrow

PTP in flames