Milan San Remo 2017 - Spoilers

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    How is Tommeke down as team leader? There are at least three other riders in his team more likely to win. And that excludes Stybar who is not even riding. I was going to suggest that he might be good for an attack.

The other thing about MSR is that there are so many riders that could win. Even a rider like Sacha Modolo who is 100+ with the bookies has a chance.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Shame.

He's good value.

If you could put money on who'd attack on the Cipressa, i'd give you short odds for Stannard. He went along with a decent Movistar rider last year who's name escapes me.

Amador, Visconti or Lobato?

Probably not Betancur.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Shame.

He's good value.

If you could put money on who'd attack on the Cipressa, i'd give you short odds for Stannard. He went along with a decent Movistar rider last year who's name escapes me.

Amador, Visconti or Lobato?

Probably not Betancur.

Kwaito and Nibali will attack.
  • Shame.

He's good value.

Yussss

His partner in crime was Visconti
  • Good Boonen piece on Cyclingnews about going all in for Gav.

Quickstep have such a strong team/options. Can't see past Gaviria.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • Reviewing last year's race, they didn't really go too fast up the Poggio, hence the reason so many were still in contention on the Via Roma
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Shame.

He's good value.

Yussss

His partner in crime was Visconti

Duh, can't believe I forgot that. For shame.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    How is Tommeke down as team leader? There are at least three other riders in his team more likely to win. And that excludes Stybar who is not even riding. I was going to suggest that he might be good for an attack.

The other thing about MSR is that there are so many riders that could win. Even a rider like Sacha Modolo who is 100+ with the bookies has a chance.

He likes to do it, and race it hard, because he feels it gives him a really big step up in form going into the Vlaamse Wielerweek.

I don't think has expected to win since being pipped by Friere in 2010.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Page 2 and nobody has mentioned Sagan?

I think he slugs it out with GVA.

Demare hoping his engine is as good as last year. Arf arf.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:

I think he slugs it out with GVA.

Demare hoping his engine is as good as last year. Arf arf.

Sitting in for the sprint/ silly buggers near the front adter the Poggio no?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Timoid. wrote:

I count 3 mentions already

got money on Swift e/w at 40/1
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Crozza wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

What does that actually mean - you have 40/1 on top 3 or is it a win bet then a fraction of the odds for the places?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Short climb and a fast finish says Sagan to me really. Should be a reliable high placing in PTP anyway...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Wonder how Sagan can shut down Quickstep's attacks with his team. QS has so many options to attack before the final sprint to set up Gaviria (Phil Gil, Alaphilippe, Terpstra possibly etc.). Boonen will probably stick by Gaviria and lead him out or attack after the Podgy O, to set up Gaviria that way.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • M.R.M. wrote:
    Wonder how Sagan can shut down Quickstep's attacks with his team. QS has so many options to attack before the final sprint to set up Gaviria (Phil Gil, Alaphilippe, Terpstra possibly etc.). Boonen will probably stick by Gaviria and lead him out or attack after the Podgy O, to set up Gaviria that way.

Like Sagz ever has a team to fall back on
  • bobmcstuff
    /\ he rides with the strength of 9 men.

Sagan is so good he does turns on the front with himself.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Is that a euphemism? :wink:
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    dish_dash wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Is that a euphemism? :wink:

Occasionally I do wonder how can he be that good but those are dangerous thoughts.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Three or four years ago you knew that Sagan would be there or thereabouts in the big one day races but that his lack of a decent team would probably tell in the end.

But 2016 was a watershed moment for him because in races like Flanders and GW he was just too strong for everyone else. He seems to have carried that kind of form into this season so I wouldn't be surprised if this is his year for MSR.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Anyone want to kick off the "he's no good over 300km" list?
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Just as well it's only 291km!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Crozza wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

What does that actually mean - you have 40/1 on top 3 or is it a win bet then a fraction of the odds for the places?

per Wikiwahwah: An each-way bet is a wager offered by bookmakers consisting of two separate bets: a win bet and a place bet. For the win part of the bet to give a return, the selection must win, or finish first, in the event. For the place part of the bet to give a return, the selection must either win or finish in one of the predetermined places for the event, such as first place or second place. The odds paid on the place part of the bet are usually a fraction (commonly  1⁄2,  1⁄3,  1⁄4 or  1⁄5) of the win odds

so I think if he wins I get odds of 40/1. if he places top 2nd, 3rd or 4th I get odds of 10/1

but I am Bet365's best customer - clueless, and heavily loss-making
  • rick_chasey
    Can get Bouhanni at 18/1 which is a decent EW shout.
  • rick_chasey
    Degenkolb at 13/1 - oof!
  • rick_chasey
    Crozza wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Did you bet big? Odds since you posted have gone down to 33/1.

I mean, I know the market is thin....

Boonen at 80/1 btw....!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    What about Cavendish at 19/1? I'd rather do that than Bouhanni tbh. :)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Sky bet giving me 10/1 on Sagan to win this and Ronde.

Also stuck £10 on MSR, Ronde and Green Jersey for 26/1
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    You can get long odds on Gerrans and Bennati. Maybe they are both too old now. Modolo is still tempting me.
  • bobmcstuff
    Anyone got the time estimates for Turchino/Cipressa/Poggio/Sanremo? (basically when should I have my telly switched on :) )
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Anyone got the time estimates for Turchino/Cipressa/Poggio/Sanremo? (basically when should I have my telly switched on :) )

4ish.