CMS hearings into the alleged culture of doping and bullying at British Cycling

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Im FED UP OF IT ALL NOW!!
    I have some old Jiffy bags..and I'm going to the Alps this year....anyone want me to take owt.....some old batteries, bits of string, old receipts?
    Basically the story is done to death...we all draw our own conclusions..because the MPs committee won't be making any definitive evidence based claims , because they basically haven't heard any.
    We can go round and round and round and...you get it..ad infinitum....IN OTHER NEWS...Sky won the Strada Bianchi today, or is that not news!! To me it is...its better news, and hopefully they win one of the Monuments too, wearing a Jiffy bag of course!!!

But this is the exciting bit. They have had all of their explanations blow up in their faces and the sacrificial lamb did not work.

money talks and it walks. Compared to other sports cycling is impoverishing and this is another blow to attracting top level sponsorship.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Did you watch cycling during the '90s and '00s SC?
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Wiggins and his poor quality as a rider needing chemical backup will bring the whole establshment down.

Should have been clear after Vuelta 2011 who is the man to back up but no, they had to make their track hero a TdF winner.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Testerone patches were ordered by mistake. This mistake, coincidentally, was discovered by an employee opening the wrong box.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Testerone patches were ordered by mistake. This mistake, coincidentally, was discovered by an employee opening the wrong box.

A present from Floyd?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    TheBigBean wrote:

Just read that :shock:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ukad-re ... e-in-2011/

Really stretching the limits of plausible deniability now... "my laptop got nicked" "the testosterone was delivered by accident".
  • bobmcstuff
    Can't say I don't disagree

Think you've got an extra negative in there, unless you actually meant to say you disagree...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's all a bit of a mess isn't it. I can't see Braislford staying as the team's public figurehead. He'll be moved into a less visible role. I think Froome will demand it. Peters will also leave if hasn't already. Fran Millar would be the obvious pick to take over.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's all a bit of a mess isn't it. I can't see Braislford staying as the team's public figurehead. He'll be moved into a less visible role. I think Froome will demand it. Peters will also leave if hasn't already. Fran Millar would be the obvious pick to take over.

She can be the public facing figurehead with SDB running from the shadows. Solves this PR mess and sexism in cycling in one hit :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    Excess kenalog:
    Sources have told the Sunday times that as many as 60 to 70 40mg vials of triamcinolone were bought by British cycling in 2011. Each of Wiggins's TUEs accounted for only one vial.

Otherwise known as widespread cortisone abuse. So much for kenalog not being performance enhancing.
  • RichN95.
    CarbonClem wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

She can be the public facing figurehead with SDB running from the shadows. Solves this PR mess and sexism in cycling in one hit :D
    No, I think she genuinely needs to be in charge. Brailsford can be an advisor. Like when Michael took over the family in The Godfather and Vito was still there to advise him (it's just been on Sky Movies)
  • To be honest, Brailsford needs to be out of the picture altogether. Not an advisor, not a lower profile role. But gone.

This mess is derived from his arrogance.
  • RichN95.
    To be honest, Brailsford needs to be out of the picture altogether. Not an advisor, not a lower profile role. But gone.
    That would be better, but with it comes an implicit admission of guilt rather than incompetence.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Excess kenalog:
    Sources have told the Sunday times that as many as 60 to 70 40mg vials of triamcinolone were bought by British cycling in 2011. Each of Wiggins's TUEs accounted for only one vial.

Otherwise known as widespread cortisone abuse. So much for kenalog not being performance enhancing.

Robert Millar writing in Rouleur 17.2

"At the start of the Kenalog revelation I thought, just like all the other old pros, no doubt, that it was a bit of a coincidence that such a medication was involved, given that back in the days of analogue racing it was the weapon of choice for those who could handle it to go faster for longer and in less pain."

... fair bit about the downsides of using it... followed by:

"It used to be a proper 'don't do it' banned substance."
  • TheBigBean
    Why is Sir Dave to blame? A few stories that don't add up, but he is not linked directly is he?
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    RichN95 wrote:

Why do you think Fran Millar is the obvious pick? She seemed to be a bit of a disaster when running the team PR a few years ago.

I would be surprised if SDB stayed on if he wasn't the boss. I don't know him, but imagine he has a rather large ego...
  • bobmcstuff
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Why is Sir Dave to blame? A few stories that don't add up, but he is not linked directly is he?

His storytelling has been rather erratic, but mainly as the boss the buck stops with him.

Getting rid of him could be used as a symbolic clearout.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    TheBigBean wrote:
    IMV, he was the head of an organisation that had poor controls and checkpoints on vital activities. Boring though it may be, BC and Sky have conventional organisational aspects to manage (including dodgy expense claims!) just like any other business and it the top person's job to ensure that these things are controlled, audited and reported on with failures and exceptions being highlighted and addressed.
  • rick_chasey
    Hang on. So British cycling took delivery of a bunch of testosterone?
  • RichN95.
    Yes. That has to be explained. It's possible that Paralympians need it legitimately. If it's not legit, why are they buying it on the record and not on the black market like organised dopers. And why would they deliver it to the team bus at a race they've just won and not away from prying eyes.
  • bobmcstuff

Yes. But it was a mistake and was sent straight back, apparently.
  • TheBigBean
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Yes. But it was a mistake and was sent straight back, apparently.

And the mistake was discovered by someone who shouldn't have opened the box.
  • rick_chasey
    Ok, now that IS something that rings proper alarm bells.

No instances to take that legally.
  • cq20
    It has been reported as received a quantity of testosterone which was a supplier error and was returned immediately with the appropriate paper work being raised and confirmed by the supplier
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    cq20 wrote:
    It has been reported as received a quantity of testosterone which was a supplier error and was returned immediately with the appropriate paper work being raised and confirmed by the supplier

Is the paperwork is available, or has it been stolen?
  • cq20
    joe2008 wrote:
    cq20 wrote:

Is the paperwork is available, or has it been stolen?

Find a Sunday Times and see for yourself
  • bobmcstuff

Yeah.

Would be a bit weird to buy illegal doping products in such an obviously open way, I suppose.
  • TheBigBean
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Yeah.

Would be a bit weird to buy illegal doping products in such an obviously open way, I suppose.

Two choices: (i) Buy illegal doping products in an illegal way, but when rumbled create paperwork to send it back (ii) Ocado does actually mistakenly deliver alcohol to recovering alcoholics.
  • TheBigBean

Doesn't pass your test of police involvement though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    To me the testosterone thing looks more like a genuine mistake than some of the other issues that have arisen. Who knows, it could even be someone of the mindset of WCF working in the dispatch department of a pharma company getting their kicks ;)