CMS hearings into the alleged culture of doping and bullying at British Cycling

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    xdoc wrote:
    I doubt Freeman is a 'proper' Doctor. No Richard Freemans on the GMC medical register seem a match, and according to the Cyclingweekly link he has a Diploma in Musculoskeletal Medicine which is not a medical degree. He has nothing to fear from the GMC :lol:

I think @RichN95 posted a link to his CV on another thread. He was definitely a medical doctor (which isn't a 'proper' Doctor as that requires a PhD, not a MBBS or equivalent).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    xdoc wrote:
    I doubt Freeman is a 'proper' Doctor. No Richard Freemans on the GMC medical register seem a match, and according to the Cyclingweekly link he has a Diploma in Musculoskeletal Medicine which is not a medical degree. He has nothing to fear from the GMC :lol:

I think @RichN95 posted a link to his CV on another thread. He was definitely a medical doctor (which isn't a 'proper' Doctor as that requires a PhD, not a MBBS or equivalent).
    It wasn't me
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp wrote:
    xdoc wrote:

Happy to stand corrected if that is the case, I haven't read through all the posts, if he is a medical doc that the GMC will be taking an interest.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    TheBigBean wrote:

The culture at the team was basically do what you are told or you get the sack. If Freeman wasn't in the role, there would have been someone else who would say yes.

That defence is a non-starter for a doctor. It's a non-starter in most lines of work, but particularly in medicine.

+1 if anybody has the power to walk away it is Dr

So despite all the evidence to the contrary Wiggins is still innocent?

For the rest of us do we believe in Hoy or do we have to go back to Boardman?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Michael Hutchinson‏Verified account @Doctor_Hutch · Mar 1

One of the things that WADA and teams/doctors/athletes need to do is get the ethics around doping and the rules around doping realigned.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Brailsford has admitted that he was a recipient of the trithingumajig. Keith Lambert too - I'm not sure where he fits into this (I'm not even sure who he is - I recognise the name)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    RichN95 wrote:
    Brailsford has admitted that he was a recipient of the trithingumajig. Keith Lambert too - I'm not sure where he fits into this (I'm not even sure who he is - I recognise the name)

Which would make in or out of competition irrelevant.
    Excuse me a moment while I top up my snake oil....

It's OK, my blood pressure is almost back to normal again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

They're all at it.

Let's hope that at least Jess Varnish will be given her place back as Britain's number one sprinter. She got the most points - it's a fact.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:

They're all at it.

Let's hope that at least Jess Varnish will be given her place back as Britain's number one sprinter. She got the most points - it's a fact.

Blood pressure rising again. :P
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I don't even know where to start with this.

So the riders are clean but the staff are on the juice. :roll:
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    It gets better and better. This would make a great In the Thick of It type series. Shane Sutton in th Malcolm Tucker role. It could go out on Sky One
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2017
    iainf72 wrote:
    I've often thought the jiffy bag contained something embarrassing, rather than dodgy.

STI treatment or something
    That would make it a typically British scandal. No real wrong-doing, but anything to avoid embarrassment.
  • SPaM02 wrote:
    It gets better and better. This would make a great In the Thick of It type series. Shane Sutton in th Malcolm Tucker role. It could go out on Sky One

12/10 would watch
  • smithy21
    SPaM02 wrote:

Great minds. I was going to stick a Malcolm Tucker gif on my post but I thought it might get pinged.
  • TheBigBean wrote:

The culture at the team was basically do what you are told or you get the sack. If Freeman wasn't in the role, there would have been someone else who would say yes.

That defence is a non-starter for a doctor. It's a non-starter in most lines of work, but particularly in medicine.

Thats true. Whistleblowers in the medical profession are treated worse than those in the cycling world!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Objectively - does Jenny Copnalls comments come from her time against the BC system? Which I assume is some time ago and MTB based, in which BC has little or no interest, so the treatment she received my be more linked to the sport rather than a sexist basis? In a similar vein that some of Nicole Cooks treatment would be a bias against road riding then.

Regarding Varnish's selection/non selection - track performance is so scientific and based on prefect peaking that results a year out dont mean so much do they? Regrettable, for Jess, the medal haul that BC acheived bear this out. Much the same as Wendy Housheval(sp)'s case in 2012.

Jess's contention on purely a performance selection criteria, was the coaches hadnt told her her performance wasnt up to scratch or looking like being on their targets, till they dumped her off the program,and she doesnt believe her performance was down or declining drastically in the way it has been presented, any variation over the 4 year period had been down to them constantly swapping her role in Team Sprint and her being told to bulk up for one role, then needing to shed down for the next, which affected all 3 of her sprint disciplines, which is why the data is key because then she could prove at the very least to herself that was the case, and theres no real reason for witholding it.

but you dont have to go back a year out, just take the London World Championship results months before Rio, I think there was some weird stat that no-one on the Womens sprint team had done a sub 19 second lap 1 in team sprint since the 2012 Olympics, and this was supposedly used as evidence that Jess wasnt up to it anymore, albeit the one who set that mark in the first place. and Jess went and did a 18.857, at which point it was ah but they were using the secret Olympic quicker stuff so it didnt count, so set one hoop up, jump through that, they set another barrier up. :roll:

obviously theres more to performance than just lap times,theres the power data,recovery, whats your max potential and all that, but as an outsider I saw nothing that said Jess's performances werent good enough for 2016, or even 2020, they were equal to other riders on the team, and could have got better with a more stable setup, she is only 26.

so you can only come back to it wasnt about performance, and then it becomes theif you annoy the guy giving the orders, dont do what you are told, push back occasionally, and that seems to be a running theme with the jiffybag deliveries, with Nicoles treatment and Im sure others who contributed to the review they carried out anon, youll find you wont have a job at the end of it.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:

Which would make in or out of competition irrelevant.

but would then make the point (as David Walsh reminded folk via twitter during this weeks evidence sessions) when this all kicked off months ago (has it been that long :( ) and Brailsford claimed not to have heard of kenalog before, very relevant.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    RichN95 wrote:

Not sure on Lambert's role these days but he used to manage domestic teams (Raleigh Banana when I first got into cycling) and I think he was a pro himself.
  • RichN95.
    awavey wrote:
    I saw nothing that said Jess's performances werent good enough for 2016,
    She didn't qualify for 2016. That's something for a start.
    awavey wrote:
    and Brailsford claimed not to have heard of kenalog before, very relevant.
    No, he didn't. He said he was unaware of it's use as a PED.
  • Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not sure on Lambert's role these days but he used to manage domestic teams (Raleigh Banana when I first got into cycling) and I think he was a pro himself.

He looks after the U23 team I think.

He was pro road champion I think and went on to manage Warertech - Dawes, PMS -Dawes, PMS-Falcon?, Banana - Falcon, Banana-Mat, Banana, Foremost Furnishing, Team Brite, Linda Mcartney and then after some time out went to BC.
  • awavey wrote:
    and Brailsford claimed not to have heard of kenalog before, very relevant.
    No, he didn't. He said he was unaware of it's use as a PED.[/quote]

Cant work this quote thing out - see above.

His lies are catching up with him as he's been around long enough to know about cortisone and acting dumb just isn't working
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    So if the doc was handing it out by the bucketful to everyone...

Is this Brailsford at the Sky Kenalog all-nighter?

ebccgr8p0aqv5sbr8rfg.gif
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    awavey wrote:

It's really worth going back one year, in case anybody is under the impression that the non renewal of Jess's contract was a spur of the moment reaction from Shane Sutton:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... ships.html

It's also worth looking at the Rio medal predictions, based upon those 2015 World champs. (bottom of the article)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... mpionships
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    RichN95 wrote:
    awavey wrote:

It's really worth going back one year, in case anybody is under the impression that the non renewal of Jess's contract was a spur of the moment reaction from Shane Sutton:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... ships.html

It's also worth looking at the Rio medal predictions, based upon those 2015 World champs. (bottom of the article)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... mpionships

What am I missing. I'm not sure the point trying to be made because the Telegraph article (2nd link) doesn't indicate a rider who had peaked and on the decline with Rio just over a year away.

On the contrary, they predicted a medal in the Women’s team sprint. What went so badly wrong that the women’s team sprint didn't even qualify for Rio? Perhaps the coaches should be looking at their own failings and stop deflecting criticism?
    Women’s sprint

This all hangs on whether Becky James can return to fitness unless Jess Varnish ups her game. James is back on her bike and Varnish improved here but the rest of the world will move on in the next 12 months.
    Women’s team sprint

Varnish teamed up well with Victoria Pendleton in London and would form a good partnership with James, as she did in Colombia last year, if the Welsh woman can return from injury.
  • Im FED UP OF IT ALL NOW!!
    I have some old Jiffy bags..and I'm going to the Alps this year....anyone want me to take owt.....some old batteries, bits of string, old receipts?
    Basically the story is done to death...we all draw our own conclusions..because the MPs committee won't be making any definitive evidence based claims , because they basically haven't heard any.
    We can go round and round and round and...you get it..ad infinitum....IN OTHER NEWS...Sky won the Strada Bianchi today, or is that not news!! To me it is...its better news, and hopefully they win one of the Monuments too, wearing a Jiffy bag of course!!!
  • RichN95.
    Im FED UP OF IT ALL NOW!!
    I have some old Jiffy bags..and I'm going to the Alps this year....anyone want me to take owt.....some old batteries, bits of string, old receipts?
    I will give you some Ibuprofen and some Night Nurse to take. I will state now that you are amazing and have an attention to detail beyond all others. So, regardless of whether or not that is true, if you can't remember what I gave you in 2022, I will call for your sacking for not living up to my hype.
  • Can't say I don't disagree

"In Brailsford’s position, for me it’s very unlikely that he can stay because of the things that have happened," De Jongh told Cyclingnews.

"If you can’t give an explanation for this [ed. - the contents of the package] and then if you twist the truth a few times… at the end he’s responsible. If you want to be clear about what’s going on in your team and you want to have that transparency then you need to fulfill on that. If not, then you’ve failed. They’re not transparent."

De Jongh worked for Team Sky until the end of the 2012 season. He was let go when Team Sky introduced a zero-tolerance policy to doping. De Jongh, who raced in the 1990s and 2000s, admitted to using banned substances during his career. He later joined Tinkoff and is now director at Trek-Segafredo.

De Jongh added that he was surprised that no paperwork existed with regards to the package from 2011. Team Sky doctors were supposed to follow a protocol that involved uploading medical notes to a shared Dropbox server. However, according to the team, Freeman rarely did this, despite reminders. UKAD revealed last week that Freeman’s laptop was stolen while on holiday in 2014. They are currently working with Interpol to confirm if a police report was made.

"I’m very surprised that they don’t have any documentation of the package and that nobody knows what was in the bag," De Jongh told Cyclingnews. "I’m highly surprised by that. That they can’t give a decent explanation. I’ve not heard one.

"If the computer was stolen, and so on and so on… I think that we can see the reactions everywhere and no one believes the explanations. I also don’t believe. I worked there and they had a system with Dropbox where everything was monitored. It must still be there."

De Jongh also expressed his doubts about the latest revelation concerning Brailsford's injection of triamcinolone in 2008 in order to treat a knee injury. On Friday, Team Sky admitted to Cyclingnews that Freeman had treated members of the staff at Sky and British Cycling with the drug.

"They could have explained this before, so to come with it now…no. Of course, the doctor is there to treat the whole team and I’ve been in teams where doctors give treatment to staff, and that’s normal because when you’re on the road it’s hard to find a good doctor if there’s a problem. But for me, it’s highly surprising that they still can’t give a good answer as to what was in the bag. And to let a guy travel with medicine that’s for sale everywhere for just a few Euros, that’s a bit complicated."

De Jongh questioned whether the sponsors would want to remain in the sport. Last week, James Murdoch stated that he was looking forward to the season, but the ongoing saga shows no sign of disappearing.

"I don’t see a reason for the team to stop, but I can see a point where Sky say, 'Hey this isn’t what we wanted', and they pull out," De Jongh said.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

When you can't remember which troll log in you're using.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

When you can't remember which troll log in you're using.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:D

'No puppet. YOU'RE the puppet' etc etc

Christ, what a way to get your kicks (not you, TWH)
  • smithy21
    edited March 2017
    In what way is what he wrote trolling. He has quoted an article which is on topic.