CMS hearings into the alleged culture of doping and bullying at British Cycling

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    One point to remember when asking about kenalog injections for riders is that St. Nicole the Immaculate of Bridgend had two injections of it. It's a legitimate way of treating injuries.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    One point to remember when asking about kenalog injections for riders is that St. Nicole the Immaculate of Bridgend had two injections of it. It's a legitimate way of treating injuries.

On the Radio 5 podcast thingy last night (with Freddie Flintoff, Robbie Savage and Matthew Syed), Flintoff described how he was held together by cortisone injections for the latter stages of his career.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2017
    RichN95 wrote:

On the Radio 5 podcast thingy last night (with Freddie Flintoff, Robbie Savage and Matthew Syed), Flintoff described how he was held together by cortisone injections for the latter stages of his career.
    He's called himself the Cortisone King in the past.

I've been very much enjoying that podcast so far - haven't listen to last night yet.
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:
    Amongst other things, finding out if a recepient of tens of millions of pounds of public funding has been using the money to cheat using drugs to gain unfair advantage is exactly what our MPs should be doing. Even if the loose thread is a drop box account.
    Sky don't get any public funding.

The public funding bit intrigues me.
    If Sky used British Cycling medical supplies, where are the records which supported the invoices recharging the British Cycling medical supplies to Sky?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    The way I see this is that UKAD have yet to charge Team Sky with any wrong doing. Sky shouldn't have to prove they are innocent, that can be near impossible at times
  • RichN95.
    If you look down the bottom of this page you will see some sponsored links. They will have headlines like "You'll be amazed at what this child star looks like now", or "Bikers found an abandoned bag - you'll never believe what happened next"

Well the Mail's story is much like one of those.

HoNHbjF.png

And just like those clickbait links, after endless clicks, we are still none the wiser.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Yes, I for one wasn't amazed by what Elisabeth Shue looks like now.
  • RichN95.
    smithy21 wrote:
    Yes, I for one wasn't amazed by what Elisabeth Shue looks like now.
    Currently down there is "You'll never believe what Trump has done now"

Unless it's converting to Islam, I pretty sure I'll believe it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I'm being told how to protect my fine hair. At least this means it's not targeted.
  • But has anyone read up on the PPI checks?
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    But has anyone read up on the PPI checks?

Some of us aren't in the 1942-72 birth range.... ;-)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:
    Amongst other things, finding out if a recepient of tens of millions of pounds of public funding has been using the money to cheat using drugs to gain unfair advantage is exactly what our MPs should be doing. Even if the loose thread is a drop box account.

If Sky used British Cycling medical supplies, where are the records which supported the invoices recharging the British Cycling medical supplies to Sky?
    Well this is why I was saying they should all be sacked for atrocious record keeping and apparently terrible processes.... But I got shot down for sounding like a management consultant...
  • tailwindhome
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Well this is why I was saying they should all be sacked for atrocious record keeping and apparently terrible processes.... But I got shot down for sounding like a management consultant...

#FollowTheMoney
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    I'm thinking about sticking a bet on GB finishing bottom of the Tokyo medal table:-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... are_btn_tw
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    One question. Why did they say fewer than 10 instances of riders taking triamcinolone? Couldn't they just say 8, or 7 or whatever?
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    One question. Why did they say fewer than 10 instances of riders taking triamcinolone? Couldn't they just say 8, or 7 or whatever?
    Gives them room to make a mistake? Deters efforts to itemise them?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Gives them room to make a mistake?

I just find it strange. It's what politicians do, and you'd imagine a team under pressure, with a history of bad PR would just start being exact rather than SDB waffling on for ever and no one being any the wiser. Don't get me wrong, I have loads of respect for him but he is an ars* at times.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

I've just listened to that. He reckons he had 90 cortisone injections in his career - and they extended his career by four years. Imagine if a cyclist said that.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Good news this morning.

It seems funding for British cycling is in doubt or at least being reconsidered unless the brand new chairman (who was only appointed recently but sat on the board that sanitised the jess Varnish report) is changed along with the rest of the rotten bullying apologists.

You cant cure a cancer if you leave it in place.

heres a link to the article.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cycling-faces-funding-threat-w83db5f9t?shareToken=a3128c57570c65fe2f229ed1a141fa56
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2017
    Good news this morning.

It seems funding for British cycling is in doubt or at least being reconsidered unless the brand new chairman (who was only appointed recently but sat on the board that sanitised the jess Varnish report) is changed along with the rest of the rotten bullying apologists.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cycling-faces-funding-threat-w83db5f9t?shareToken=a3128c57570c65fe2f229ed1a141fa56

So, the way to get rid of this perceived culture of fear among riders, is to threaten to not pay the those riders?
    A brilliant move I must say.
    Glad Becky's got a rich bloke.

There are a whole lot of "mights", "mays" and "ifs" in that article.
    British Cycling disputes some of the findings of the draft report

Ain't that the truth. :wink:
    Aren't those demanding changes on BC using a leaked document and therefore unofficial, guilty of jumping the gun?
    Strange, don't you think?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Good news this morning.

Can't read the Times.
    But what an utterly perverse comment to make.
    You clearly have no love for the sport, in any of it disciplines, in this Country.
    If funding gets cut, the first thing to go will be the supply to the medal factory of it's raw material.
    i.e. The UK's young talent.

Its because i love the sport and the future of children entering it that we must make a break from the past, from the practices which damage. The response that you mustn't use the threat of funding withdrawal to force change when seemingly everything else has failed is precisely what provides succour for those responsible for the problems.

If those people responsible loved the sport they would find a way out to protect those that they're "responsible " for.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Good news this morning.

Can't read the Times.
    But what an utterly perverse comment to make.
    You clearly have no love for the sport, in any of it disciplines, in this Country.
    If funding gets cut, the first thing to go will be the supply to the medal factory of it's raw material.
    i.e. The UK's young talent.

Its because i love the sport and the future of children entering it that we must make a break from the past, from the practices which damage. The response that you mustn't use the threat of funding withdrawal to force change when seemingly everything else has failed is precisely what provides succour for those responsible for the problems.

If those people responsible loved the sport they would find a way out to protect those that they're "responsible " for.

But don't you undestand that funding being withdrawn will affect the sport you love and opportunities for the children entering it? In fact it will impact upon attracting children into the sport in the first place. Why do you think that funding being taken away would be a good thing?
    Do you remember BC in the dark ages before lottery funding? Cycling was a tiny minority sport back then. Not something that I would like to go back too. By all means reform how the sport is run, but removing funding is not the way to go about it!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Cycling was a tiny minority sport back then. Not something that I would like to go back too.
    Not implying that Vino is necessarily guilty of this (he's guilty of enough as it is) but I rather suspect that a lot of old-school cycling fans would like to go back to the good old days - they resent the popularity of cycling these days, they've lost out on a bit of outsider cool, and the hordes of Sky jersey-wearing mamils are the visible sign of this loss. A significant reason, perhaps, why Sky & BC, as johnny-come-latelies who are perceived to be upsetting the old ways, get a hugely disproportionate amount of flak.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    To the question about funding and participation.

It seems obvious from my experience that the success of BC/Sky has led to a massive uptake of cycling in the UK.

However statistics also seem to bear out that overall participation in sport hasn't really risen.

This suggests to me that a lot of the newcomers to cycling would have been participating in some other sport, had cycling not come along.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    SPaM02 wrote:
    But don't you undestand that funding being withdrawn will affect the sport you love and opportunities for the children entering it? In fact it will impact upon attracting children into the sport in the first place. Why do you think that funding being taken away would be a good thing?
    Do you remember BC in the dark ages before lottery funding? Cycling was a tiny minority sport back then. Not something that I would like to go back too. By all means reform how the sport is run, but removing funding is not the way to go about it!

Yes funding velodromes etc has helped boost opportunities for youth but on the whole the cycling boom has not been fuelled by lottery funding. Cyclocross is a bit of a forgotten discipline in terms of BC but is probably the best entry to the sport for young people. Loss of funding would have an impact, depending on where it was targeted, but it wouldn't destroy the gains made in terms of numbers.

The other thing is of course the funding would be diverted to other sports. I like the idea that kids play sport, if they want to take up cycling great but I would just as rather they played basketball, netball, football, cricket etc - in fact in many ways I think the team sports are a better grounding for kids in terms of athleticism and social interaction. Especially as far as track cycling goes it's a minority sport that is expensive if you want to take it seriously.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2017
    SPaM02 wrote:

Yes funding velodromes etc has helped boost opportunities for youth but on the whole the cycling boom has not been fuelled by lottery funding. Cyclocross is a bit of a forgotten discipline in terms of BC but is probably the best entry to the sport for young people. Loss of funding would have an impact, depending on where it was targeted, but it wouldn't destroy the gains made in terms of numbers.
    I would agree with this. 4 out of 5 members of our "clan" started there, along with MTB.
    I'd say that cross's profile is definitely in the ascendancy, but I've no idea how much lottery money filters down, or what any potential impact might be.
    The other thing is of course the funding would be diverted to other sports. I like the idea that kids play sport, if they want to take up cycling great but I would just as rather they played basketball, netball, football, cricket etc - in fact in many ways I think the team sports are a better grounding for kids in terms of athleticism and social interaction. Especially as far as track cycling goes it's a minority sport that is expensive if you want to take it seriously.

This is the rational I find perverse, given the investigation was supposed to look at whether or not BC were meeting their duty of care etc, to riders and staff.
    Diverting funding away from the track, as punishment for perceived failings, might well mean ironically, that some contracts could not be renewed or, worst case scenario, terminated.
    Placing personnel under job threat simply replaces one culture of fear with another.
    Only this time it wouldn't just effect one disgruntled, ex-employee.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    bompington wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Cycling was a tiny minority sport back then. Not something that I would like to go back too.
    Not implying that Vino is necessarily guilty of this (he's guilty of enough as it is) but I rather suspect that a lot of old-school cycling fans would like to go back to the good old days - they resent the popularity of cycling these days, they've lost out on a bit of outsider cool, and the hordes of Sky jersey-wearing mamils are the visible sign of this loss. A significant reason, perhaps, why Sky & BC, as johnny-come-latelies who are perceived to be upsetting the old ways, get a hugely disproportionate amount of flak.

Fair.

That brigade want other stuff from cycling.

Heart rates and wattages.

Not sordid stories of politics and intrigue played out on wheels and in the hotel room afterwards.
  • blazing_saddles
    Oh the irony.
    Today's big story and it's all about Damian Collin's lot:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39289195
    The Metropolitan Police is now looking at the evidence to see if the reporting omissions were deliberate.

The party broke spending rules by moving campaigners and staff from its national headquarters to boost local party efforts and not properly declaring their hotel bills and expenses.

The investigation, which followed Channel 4 News' investigation, found:

The Conservative Party's 2015 UK Parliamentary general election spending return was missing payments worth at least £104,765
    Separately, payments worth up to £118,124 were either not reported to the commission or were incorrectly reported by the party
    The party did not include the required invoices or receipts for 81 payments to the value of £52,924
    The party failed to maintain records explaining the amounts it invoiced to candidates in three 2014 by-elections, for work on their campaigns.

The party insists its failure to report six figure sums it spent on trying to win three by-elections and the general election was an "administrative error".

What that you say?
    Hypocrisy much.
    Some of the comments underneath are choice.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    SPaM02 wrote:

But a large part of the growth in participation is due to seeing the Olympic success. Cyclocross and MTB are the disciplines with the highest participation at my club by a long way at all age groups but particularly among the kids and the focus point of virtually all the coaching sessions we provide (despite being called a road club). However, as I said earlier, we had massive upsurges in new members after both the London and Rio Olympics which account for most of those participating in Cross and MTB now. So although the funding is mainly focussed towards the track programme at an elite level I would argue it affects participation levels in all disciplines. Funding cuts would hit the whole sport and Vino's glee at the possibility to me demonstrates that his true colours are seeing British Cycling (and possibly Sky by proxy) being damaged.

I can't see it happening personally, I can't imagine the public being particularly happy to see a vast drop in medal success due to such a decision. Those who are stirring the sh1t on the subject will be the same flag waving, rabble rousers that demand we beat Jonny foreigner at the Olympics and will be shouting how questions must be answered if things go downhill in 2020.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I suggest abolishing UK Sport and sending the money to Sport England/Wales/Scotland/NI.

I'm not sure I'd be handing out the money to Sport Wales!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39267950
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-38968716