2017 Flat Classics thread - will probs have spoilers

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Oh man, it's Carlton commentating. FFS.

Was hoping to just have the commentary on in the background while I cook.

Now I have to actually look at the screen to see wtf is going on.

"[whilst commentating on DDDP] This is the race that introduces us to Flanders"

Christ.
  • rick_chasey
    " a couple of years ago he won a year ago".

Right you are Carlton.
  • rick_chasey
    Oooof Gilbert went fast up the Muur!!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Decent result for Keukelaire then.
    Yep, worked really well with GVA and I thought he'd played it well in the last Km, eased upto GVA's wheel after GVA started his sprint but then didn't have the legs when he pulled out of the wheel.
    Just watched g-w on the turbo, fun finale that. Very enjoyable.

Slightly surprised Sagan didn't bridge across, he made the earlier bridges really easily.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Then rides away from Durbridge on the flat. He's flying.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:

Then rides away from Durbridge on the flat. He's flying.

Yup yup.

Christ, that's got me all excited now for De Ronde.

All this build up, DDV, E3, GW, DDP - it's all just foreplay to get one revved up isn't it?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Anyone spotted some interesting bets for Flanders or Roubaix?

Weirdly betfair have got Rowe at shorter odds for Flanders than PR. So I've had an e/w bet on him for PR at 33/1
  • rick_chasey
    Milton50 wrote:

Weirdly betfair have got Rowe at shorter odds for Flanders than PR. So I've had an e/w bet on him for PR at 33/1

Not great odds for Flanders, but the best I can see is Degenkolb at 20/1, which you can go EW with.

Seen Stuyven at 66/1 which is too long, but i still think you're chucking your money away.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    It's hard to see past GVA and Sagan. Sep would have a chance if he was fit. Otherwise, I suppose there could be a chance a break could stay away, but that could be anyone.
  • Milton50 wrote:

I'd agree Rowe is better suited to PR than Flanders, but presume Betfair just go on past results, and his best in RvV is 5th, vs an 8th in PR.

EDIT - Due to the factual info shown above, you'll realise this is Rob Hatch nipping in on CK's login.... ;-)
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Boonen currently at 25/1 with Betfair for Flanders for the romantics out there!
  • milton50
    SPaM02 wrote:

Haha, if he's there in a reduced bunch then you never know but I think we'll see a similar situation to last year when he put all his eggs in the Paris Roubaix basket.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    media_xl_890884.jpg

I'm starting to get excited.
    Great to have Kapelmuur back.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Milton50 wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:

Haha, if he's there in a reduced bunch then you never know but I think we'll see a similar situation to last year when he put all his eggs in the Paris Roubaix basket.

:D I know. Shame though. Would love to see an 'it's all about PR' bluff and then go for a sneaky one in RVV instead.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:

:D I know. Shame though. Would love to see an 'it's all about PR' bluff and then go for a sneaky one in RVV instead.

Along with Degenkolb he's the only 'realistic chance' past winner lining up at PR (assuming QS are all in for Tom over Niki T, and Hayman really can't do it again) - his experience & knowledge of how to ride the race seem to bring him something extra, even if he's not at the peak of his powers. Plus he probably really wants that 5th win to shut De Vlaeminck up.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Plus he probably really wants that 5th win to shut De Vlaeminck up.
    It won't though. RDV will still bang on about how it was so much harder back in his day.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    RichN95 wrote:
    Plus he probably really wants that 5th win to shut De Vlaeminck up.
    It won't though. RDV will still bang on about how it was so much harder back in his day.

Fair point. But Tom will know the truth...
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Good to see the UCI coming down hard on yesterday's pavement riders with 200 CHF fines.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    The echelon alert just went up.
    Durbridge caught out in group 2.
    Cue turbo Kirby.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    Spectacular echelon shots. A least 6 of them across the road.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Watching it on Sporza, and even understanding maybe 20% of what Michel Wuyts says still makes more sense than Carlton.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • blim wrote:
    Watching it on Sporza, and even understanding maybe 20% of what Michel Wuyts says still makes more sense than Carlton.

Wuyts. And why not? he's an option.
  • Oooh good finish
  • blazing_saddles
    blim wrote:
    This.
    Heavyweight sprint finish, given the size of the front group.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Finally, my man Kristoff...
  • milton50
    Ooooh, Kristoff finds his form just in time maybe?
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BSPEqGWAvhd/

Gilbert's great value on instagram at the moment.
  • rick_chasey
    http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/pr ... =1.2936970

Sagan being naughty in the peloton.
  • rick_chasey
    Wout van der Pole putting the blame on Sagan for his GW blunder, not Terpstra.
  • rick_chasey
    Well worth watching the in car clip during GW when Peters & Steels see Terpstra let the gap grow, and then later when they get to speak with him...

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/pr ... st=7.39499

at 30:40.