2017 Flat Classics thread - will probs have spoilers

Comments

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Wonder what the odds are for Quickstep to come away from the Spring Classics season without a win?

Are you counting chippers like Scheldeprijs?

And where does their win at DDV last week count?

Chippers (or should that be frite-ers?) don't count.

Okay I'll might give you DDV, in my defence I have been proper poorly, too many Lemsips Max strength may have altered my perception.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Which races aren't chippers then? Obviously Flanders and Roubaix, is that it? Where's Iain's chart when you need it?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    As 'wang' seems to be my word of the day: what chance the management at BMC are wanging on to Van Avermaet to challenge Sagan for the green jersey properly this year? It'd been sound insurance against the inevitable TjVG/Porte capitulation, no?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Ja ja, did forget DDV when I made the challenge.

Was going to say they have no 5 star finishers (except for Kittell in Scheldeprijs),and their best is probably Alaphilippe who's a 4 star finisher in the 4 hilly races (Brabanse, Amstel, FW, LBL), though Valverde looks ominous for the final 3.

You'd say with the new finish Gilbert looks alright, but then you'd say GvA looks better.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    As 'wang' seems to be my word of the day: what chance the management at BMC are wanging on to Van Avermaet to challenge Sagan for the green jersey properly this year? It'd been sound insurance against the inevitable TjVG/Porte capitulation, no?
    Little chance unless they've changed the rules significantly. Van Avermaet isn't going to get top 5 placements in bunch sprints.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Ja ja, did forget DDV when I made the challenge.

Was going to say they have no 5 star finishers (except for Kittell in Scheldeprijs),and their best is probably Alaphilippe who's a 4 star finisher in the 4 hilly races (Brabanse, Amstel, FW, LBL), though Valverde looks ominous for the final 3.

You'd say with the new finish Gilbert looks alright, but then you'd say GvA looks better.

New finish for what? Amstel?
  • rick_chasey
    Ja.
  • rick_chasey
    And Sagan, obvs.
  • andyp
    Doesn't the new Amstel finish have Ben Swift written all over it?
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:

It's very hilly beforehand...!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    andyp wrote:

Yes I'd have thought it's too hard for him to be there at the finish but in any case I know he's had some good finishes in MSR but is Ben Swift good enough to say any finish at this level has his name written all over it?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp wrote:

Stretch your hopes on that front, chap
  • andyp
    I was expecting to get told to take it to the hilly classics thread.

If Olaf Ludwig can win Amstel, then so can Ben Swift.
  • You've piled everything into the word 'can'

His name being written all over the race, however....different story
  • andyp
    Do I have to resort to emojis? The only thing that has Ben Swift's name written all over it is his kit.
  • milton50
    I've decided never to discount Ben Swift after saying he had no chance of winning MSR about an hour before he came second.

Not sure Sagan will be riding.

Feels like Van Avermaet and Valverde are a class above everyone else in the pro ranks at the moment.
  • milton50
    Forgot about Kwia
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    andyp wrote:
    Do I have to resort to emojis? The only thing that has Ben Swift's name written all over it is his kit.

Only if his Mum's remembered to sew the tags in though.
  • andyp wrote:

Yes, can I haz emojiz

8)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Little chance unless they've changed the rules significantly. Van Avermaet isn't going to get top 5 placements in bunch sprints.
    Mmm, maybe - but perhaps that's because he hasn't tried?
    Now he's pulled his finger out... what, BMC are just going to let the Olympic Champion and biggest winner of the spring just waft around France in the hope of a stage?
    Admittedly, his team probably won't offer much support because of the distraction of the GC...
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Mmm, maybe - but perhaps that's because he hasn't tried?
    Now he's pulled his finger out... what, BMC are just going to let the Olympic Champion and biggest winner of the spring just waft around France in the hope of a stage?
    Admittedly, his team probably won't offer much support because of the distraction of the GC...

Successful Spring campaign and GVA's paid for his salary, right there
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    And one of the most desired riders for any team now
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    Gweeds wrote:
    And one of the most desired riders for any team now

And he's out of contract at the end of the year.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    And Boonen is retiring
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    Phil & Greg won't be riding on the same team together, save for the nationals, from hereon in.
  • andyp
    Gilbert's on a one year deal at QS.
  • rick_chasey
    I stand by my statement :P.
  • andyp
    Leferve needs to get a new sponsor first. He has talked of retiring too, so maybe someone else will take over the day to day running of the team.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes there is quite a chance that team will fold.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Surely it is time for Peeters to step up and lead a team...