Cycling is a weak sport

b. 1998
b. 1998 Posts: 88
edited January 2017 in Road general
When you compare cycling to boxing, mma or swimming, its truely a joke of a sport. Toddlers learn to ride a tricycle almost instinctively long before they perform anything sub-pratical which is ironic. Just to put it in context, pro cyclists typically ride 80 races a year. Pro boxers fights 1-5 times a years while pro swimmers do about 20 races annually. This implies that cycling is less fatiguing both mentally and physically than boxing and swimming as the body will allow them to do it more before giving up. I'm not gifted in cycling and rarely train hard though i have good genetics, i could easily hook at the back of a peleton for hours doing 230Wish average (of course riding in the breakaway is something else but only the top pros look to do this). I couldnt professionally box a professional boxer and same for swimming even if i trained very hard.

Professional cycling is very weak of a sport, very little or no reflexes, strength and agility etc is required. Of course im referring to road cycling, track cycling is more respectable.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oh seriously - you haven't the faintest.

"i could easily hook at the back of a peloton for hours"

You're a kid who doesn't even do long rides on the bike.
    You can't put a bottle cage on the right way up.
    You can't even work out how to take one off.

You know nothing. Bugger off.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    FFS... haven't you got another forum to troll :evil:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    b. 1998 wrote:
    When you compare cycling to boxing, mma or swimming, its truely a joke of a sport. Toddlers learn to ride a tricycle almost instinctively long before they perform anything sub-pratical which is ironic. .

wow, everytime you open your mouth you advertise just how young and naïve you really are.

children learn to hit a long time before they can ride a bike .. in fact teaching them NOT to hit people is the hard bit
    throw a baby in a swimming pool ... it swims, throw a baby on a pinarello it doesn't win the Tour de France

so I see your trolling and I raise you Expert level trolling .... you sir are wrong, Boxing, MMA and swimming are weak ass sports because babies and toddlers can do them
  • I think you could fight a professional boxer. I think you should give it a go.

I'd buy a ticket
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • You really are bored, aren't you?
  • b. 1998
    Fenix wrote:
    Oh seriously - you haven't the faintest.

"i could easily hook at the back of a peloton for hours"

You're a kid who doesn't even do long rides on the bike.
    You can't put a bottle cage on the right way up.
    You can't even work out how to take one off.

You know nothing. Bugger off.
    Do you acknowledge that cycling is a weak sport? On the front of a peloton, they typically do 380W swapping off. In a peloton of 40, the last one receiving all the drafting benefits will be doing minimal wattage. Watch the Tour of Britain 2016 and see how much pedalling Bradley Wiggins actually does. In a sport where all you have to focus on is endurance and solely endurance, what professional cyclists do is nothing impressive.
  • Mate of mine who is an ex world champion boxer is now a competetive cyclist and actually reckons the two are comparable for toughness. Me I don't box and I don't really care.
  • b. 1998
    fat daddy wrote:
    b. 1998 wrote:
    When you compare cycling to boxing, mma or swimming, its truely a joke of a sport. Toddlers learn to ride a tricycle almost instinctively long before they perform anything sub-pratical which is ironic. .

wow, everytime you open your mouth you advertise just how young and naïve you really are.

children learn to hit a long time before they can ride a bike .. in fact teaching them NOT to hit people is the hard bit
    throw a baby in a swimming pool ... it swims, throw a baby on a pinarello it doesn't win the Tour de France

so I see your trolling and I raise you Expert level trolling .... you sir are wrong, Boxing, MMA and swimming are weak ass sports because babies and toddlers can do them
    Inject a baby with severe amounts of melodonium and he'll become the under 3 cycling champion.
  • b. 1998 wrote:
    Inject a baby with severe amounts of melodonium and he'll become the under 3 cycling champion.

That's tennis, isn't it?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    You really are boring, aren't you?
    FTFY
  • fat daddy
    not if all the other under 3's are also doping .. then it just levels the field
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    Someone's had too much haribo
  • b. 1998
    b. 1998 wrote:

That's tennis, isn't it?
    Melodonium increases your body's ability to efficiently use glycogen. All sports can technically benefit from it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Can I recommend you take up boxing then?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    And you're all taking the bait.
  • Can everyone just stop responding to this guys pointless trolling threads.
  • b. 1998
    Veronese68 wrote:
    As much as I love cycling - it's great for body conditioning, it's very unpractical. Sure I can use my fitness to cycle to the shops 3mph quicker or cycle to the shops at the same pace without getting tired but I don't feel like an athlete. I'll probably take up athletics such as sprinting and maybe boxing if I'm good at it. If not, I'll come back to cycle and pursue a professional career in it.
  • b. 1998
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Mate of mine who is an ex world champion boxer is now a competetive cyclist and actually reckons the two are comparable for toughness. Me I don't box and I don't really care.
    Compare a boxer, a cyclist and a swimmer. Who looks least an athlete?
  • LukeTC
    b. 1998 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    As much as I love cycling - it's great for body conditioning, it's very unpractical. Sure I can use my fitness to cycle to the shops 3mph quicker or cycle to the shops at the same pace without getting tired but I don't feel like an athlete. I'll probably take up athletics such as sprinting and maybe boxing if I'm good at it. If not, I'll come back to cycle and pursue a professional career in it.
    Clown-Waving-Hand-And-Says-Goodbye-Animated-Gif.gif
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    All your waffle about watts. You haven't actually raced though have you ?

Go and try some racing and then tell us how easy it is. The watts might make it look easy - but you'd be out of the back with the first surge of the day. Sure sitting on wheels saves you energy - but have you the skill or b*lls to do that ?

Ex clubmate of mine is a pro - it's years of dedication. By the time he was your age he'd already beaten senior fields, and clocked up untold 1000's of miles. What are you doing ? Riding bikes that don't fit you with bottle cages that don't work.

If cycling is so easy - go on - give it a go.....

You're so full of BS - and over the hill to be an athlete in any sport. Apart from keyboard warrioring.
  • fat daddy
    Fenix wrote:
    You're so full of BS - and over the hill to be an athlete in any sport. Apart from keyboard warrioring.

there is golf and darts ?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    You really are boring, aren't you?
    FTFY

That actually annoys me more than the bored child trying to get a reaction. If quoting, leave as a quote. If you want to say that he's boring, say it yourself.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    b. 1998 wrote:
    When you compare cycling to boxing, mma or swimming, its truely a joke of a sport. Toddlers learn to ride a tricycle almost instinctively long before they perform anything sub-pratical which is ironic. Just to put it in context, pro cyclists typically ride 80 races a year. Pro boxers fights 1-5 times a years while pro swimmers do about 20 races annually. This implies that cycling is less fatiguing both mentally and physically than boxing and swimming as the body will allow them to do it more before giving up. I'm not gifted in cycling and rarely train hard though i have good genetics, i could easily hook at the back of a peloton for hours doing 230Wish average (of course riding in the breakaway is something else but only the top pros look to do this). I couldnt professionally box a professional boxer and same for swimming even if i trained very hard.

Professional cycling is very weak of a sport, very little or no reflexes, strength and agility etc is required. Of course im referring to road cycling, track cycling is more respectable.

WTF?! Are you having a laugh?

Have a word with your local newsagent. Ask him quietly for a copy of 'Razzle'. I am sure it will help.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Mods please do us all a favour, ban the tw@t.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    We have another Manc33, but without the maturity or the intellect.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    We have another Manc33, but without the maturity or the intellect.

I think he's Manc33's protege.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    As they say, try to argue or reason with an idiot and you will lose as they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

School starts back soon so I dare say he will go quiet again.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • b. 1998
    I have had enough of this joke of a sport. Like chess, it should be considered a game not a sport. It insults the likes of tennis and boxing. Now that I am physically fit enough to cycle to shops and back, I'll have to call it a day for cycling.
  • Whilst i hate replying to trolls i feel I'd like to address the others posting in reply in case one of you intelligent or regular posters might know. Don't boxers have to take an enforced break between matches due to health reasons? They take such a punishment that even the governing bodies are too scared of litigation if they allowed more matches per year for each boxer. Probably the same for MMA.

Swimmers probably do less because of the events on offer or the time of the week they're put on. Just an idea. Road cyclist pro's do 80 races a year, do they? I mean do they at the top flight?

I ask this of everyone but the troll, i mean original poster. I doubt he knows much about sports (in plural, he might know a little about boxing).

One thing, boxing is a sport for entertainment only. Put a pro boxer against a martial artist with equivalent experience such as ju-jitsu, certain styles of kung fu, escrima, krav maga, shorinji kempo, ninjistu, systeme, etc. Boxers would be weak both martially and mentally i reckon! Boxing is just wwe with only punching allowed. Entertainment only. Evidence of this is the pre-match weigh-ins which farcically end up a slanging match or faked punch up. :twisted:
  • LukeTC
    b. 1998 wrote:
    I have had enough of this joke of a sport. Like chess, it should be considered a game not a sport. It insults the likes of tennis and boxing. Now that I am physically fit enough to cycle to shops and back, I'll have to call it a day for cycling.
    How tubby were you before if you weren't physically fit enough to cycle to the shops? Could you truffle shuffle? (That's a reference from a movie called The Goonies, it's a film from 1985, pretty good man, you'd probably like it, there's pirates.)