Poo tin... Put@in...

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

They'd drop nukes on some ukranian towns if they crossed the border meaningfully.

No - they would not. In as much as it means anything, they have already said several times that they would only use nuclear weapons in the face of an existential threat. That's going to need more than a few Ukrainian border incursions.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245

They'd drop nukes on some ukranian towns if they crossed the border meaningfully.

No - they would not. In as much as it means anything, they have already said several times that they would only use nuclear weapons in the face of an existential threat. That's going to need more than a few Ukrainian border incursions.

Mmmmm entirely depends how you define that.

If Putin's idea of Russia's existence includes certain places and borders...

As a general rule, if you invade a nuclear country, expect to be nuked.
  • imposter2.0

Mmmmm entirely depends how you define that.

If Putin's idea of Russia's existence includes certain places and borders...

As a general rule, if you invade a nuclear country, expect to be nuked.
    I thought the use of 'existential' was clear enough. If Russia's survival and existence as an 'sovereign' nation was on the line, then they have said they would consider the nuclear option. It's absurd to think that they would nuke a couple of Ukrainian villages just because Ukraine decided to roll into Belgorod or something.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    I have no idea about the liklihood of Russia using nukes but given that they don't define the current situation as a war, we probably should clarify definitions before assuming anything.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Exactly as Imp says and we've tried telling Rick this over and over again but he's seems intent on giving everyone a headache about it.

I suppose its much like his musings above, the suburban pseudo intelligentsia love a bit of far reaching geo politics ftom the bottom of glass of Prosecco.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    I was surprised how much Finland have prepared themselves over the years with underground infrastructure in the advent of silliness.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It's perhaps tempting to assume that Russia would re route all troops to defending Russian Villages leaving the Ukrainian Fronts easy picking, followed by a rapid Ukrainians withdrawal to the original borders.

Russian Military History does not suggest this is true though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

I was surprised how much Finland have prepared themselves over the years with underground infrastructure in the advent of silliness.

They still have military service (compulsory for men, sexism etc.). They have always worried about Russian.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    🤣🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    He misunderehearsed.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193

MattFalle said:

Even if it stopped one nukeynooist, surely it's worth it?

an mri won't pick up anynukeynookists as you do "comedicslly" put it.
    How about a questionnaire then and a brain scanning thing, to check they aren't potential nukeynooists?

For example if my mind was scanned and I had to say whether I wanted to destroy humanity. I would say "No, Not Good, let's have a nice game of chess." and the brain scanning machine would reaffirm my belief.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    I like that he makes the excuse he's 75, given the ages of Trump and Biden.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    21 yo Russian soldier pleaded guilty yesterday to the war crime of murdering a 62 yo unarmed civilian:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61496428

He looks younger than 21 to my old eyes.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    I thought the same - looks like a schoolkid!
  • First.Aspect
    I'm not completely sure it was a fair trial, seeing as it lasted about 30 seconds and he confessed immediately. What do we all think?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878

I'm not completely sure it was a fair trial, seeing as it lasted about 30 seconds and he confessed immediately. What do we all think?

It would be better if it was an international court for sure, but i think there was possibly video evidence of the crime.
  • MattFalle

They asked him

He said yes he did it

They'll know what unit was there, who was doing what and have eye witness accounts.

All being done in front of the whole world.

I'd be pretty sure they've got the right bloke.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    21 year old leading a tank division sounds unlikely. Suspect that's a reporting error.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

21 year old leading a tank division sounds unlikely. Suspect that's a reporting error.

I know I was just following orders doesn't cut it, but let's be honest, he's not exactly the Godfather is he?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    Pross said:

from new york times report...

A Russian soldier pleaded guilty in a Kyiv court on Wednesday to having fatally shot a civilian, in the first trial Ukraine has conducted for an act that could be considered a war crime since Russia launched its full-scale invasion.

The soldier, Sgt. Vadim Shyshimarin, pleaded guilty to shooting a 62-year-old man on a bicycle in the village of Chupakhivka in the Sumy region, about 200 miles east of Kyiv, four days after Russia’s full-scale invasion began on Feb. 24. He faces 10 years to life in prison.

Asked by the presiding judge whether he accepted his guilt, Sergeant Shyshimarin, 21, said, “Yes.”

“Fully?” the judge asked. “Yes,” the sergeant replied.

The sergeant had admitted to Ukrainian investigators that he had pulled trigger of the Kalashnikov rifle that killed the man, Oleksandar Shelipov, prosecutors said. He told investigators in a videotaped statement that he and four other servicemen had stolen a car at gunpoint and were fleeing from Ukrainian forces when they spotted Mr. Shelipov on a bicycle, talking on a phone. He said he was ordered to kill the man so he would not report them.

“I was ordered to shoot, I fired an automatic burst at him, he fell. We drove on,” Sergeant Shyshimarin told the Ukrainian Intelligence Services.

The sergeant had been charged under a Ukrainian statute with violating “the laws and customs of war, combined with premeditated murder,” Ukrainian prosecutors said. He had not been charged with a war crime under international law.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

He's a 21 y.o. tank commander, not a tank division commander.

Poor reporting.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

Poor reporting.
    That makes a bit more sense although having 21 year olds in charge might explain some of the Russian 'tactics'.
  • imposter2.0
    Pross said:

Let's hope so. In western military terms, you'd normally see a division commanded by a Maj Gen or Lt Gen - I know the Russian command structure is down the toilet right now, but still....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438

Pross said:

Let's hope so. In western military terms, you'd normally see a division commanded by a Maj Gen or Lt Gen - I know the Russian command structure is down the toilet right now, but still....
    well, it's been reported that putin has been making battlefield decisions, and he's just an ex-minicab driver
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

Poor reporting.
    That makes a bit more sense although having 21 year olds in charge might explain some of the Russian 'tactics'.
    Their tactics seem to something ftom Sonic thr Hedgehog, tbh

'Becca, Chloe and the rest of the Bellas could do better I reckon.
  • MattFalle
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I understand why the Ukrainians will want to be holding cases against suspected war criminals in their courts, but in the long term they’d be better off it happening in The Hague. The Russians will just point to cases held in Ukraine being sham trials which will undermine credibility.