2016 Worlds *spoilers*

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    "I find it sad to finish such a long season with just ten people applauding at the finish," she told Directvelo.com. "If they wanted heat [for the Worlds], they could have gone to Africa, for example. There would have been real interest there."

re: spectators (not sure if this was posted before, a comment from the CN article)

Beside the fact that no local people are interested in this sport, there is also no way for the travelling fans to be at the circuit, as the circuit is in an island with only one bridge which the race itself enters from. Spectators must be at the finish line at least 3 hrs before the finish which is very hard in this heat. Even the travelling fans will watch it from the TV unless their hotel is in the island.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-roa ... qus_thread
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ryan Mullen on course and doing well. I'm following here as even bbc feeds are blocked at work

http://live.cyclingnews.com/
  • Dabber wrote:
    Great atmosphere, really buzzing.

That's because only flies are watching. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • 'Pale of skin but black of demeanour' (Kirby)
    I mean, really, wtf?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • 'Pale of skin but black of demeanour' (Kirby)
    I mean, really, wtf?

It's like running Estonian through google translate & trying to understand the results. Utter garbage.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tom D having a moan.

I swear that's all he does, this season has driven me to not like him.

What's he been saying?
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited October 2016
    TomDum just getting on with it in the TT this year's ToBimage_zpsxvnswfho.jpeg
  • (Soz, now I've FINALLY worked out how to upload pics, it's all a bit cray)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I'd like to see the worlds on a classic British 10 course. Why should it always be a long tt?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    coriordan wrote:
    Moolman-Pasio does not subscribe to the view, however, that the conditions in Qatar this week have placed competitors at undue risk, noting instead that adjusting to the sweltering heat was simply part of the particular challenge posed by the first World Championships in the Gulf.

"It is what it is. That's part of the game, being able to adapt and handle the conditions. Cycling is that kind of sport," Moolman-Pasio said. "I think it's important to come here and acclimatise to the heat, and take all measures possible to be able to adapt. People who can adapt better are going to have an advantage. Of course it's important to take precautionary measures, but we can't just be wussies and pull out of everything because it's too cold, or too hot, or too wet.

"Obviously it's important to have the correct medical people here to treat those who take strain, and I think it's also about knowing yourself, or for management to be able to recognise when riders are going too far and stop them before any real danger happens. But I'm not particularly against having the World Championships here at this time of the year. I think that's part of the challenge."

You missed this bit. That's a real shame, I would expect a car to be allowed to pull along side in such conditions.

Still, someone told me upthread that you don't need to drink in TTs in this heat. I do wonder whether any pros hold similar views, because it is quite foolish.
    "Unfortunately, it's very hot and when I took out my bottle to drink, I lost it, so I had no liquid on the route and I think that really cost me towards the end," said Moolman-Pasio, who had already competed in Sunday's team time trial for Cervélo-Bigla. "I think it's just the heat takes its toll day after day, and then not having any liquids took its toll on me today. It's just a shame that I dropped my bottle."
  • gsk82 wrote:
    I'd like to see the worlds on a classic British 10 course. Why should it always be a long tt?

Which dual carriageway do you have in mind? :P
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 wrote:

'cos it's an endurance sport who's currency is enormous amounts of suffering for the athletes.

20 mins of suffering is something I can imagine dong.

80 mins less so.
  • rick_chasey
    UCI ought to tell the director not to do so many wide angle shots - shows the lack of crowds.

Zoom in!
  • TheBigBean
    Pokerface wrote:

The power riders should do well (obviously) today but my nod goes to whoever can handle the heat. So maybe a certain Spanish rider....

I backed Castroviejo on this basis. Although I suspect Dennis is no mug in the heat.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

The power riders should do well (obviously) today but my nod goes to whoever can handle the heat. So maybe a certain Spanish rider....

I backed Castroviejo on this basis. Although I suspect Dennis is no mug in the heat.

It was chuffing hot in Holland when he won. I mean, 36-37 degrees.
  • rick_chasey
    The 2016 men's TT starter has clearly not read the UCI regulation "how to count back from 5 for a bike race".

5 - all 5
    4 - thumb in
    3 - thumb back out, ring & pinky in
    2 -thumb, ring, pinky in
    1 - only forefinger left
    Go.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    3 - thumb back out, ring & pinky in
    2 -thumb, ring, pinky in
    Surely that's just a European thing (see Inglourious Basterds)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

I backed Castroviejo on this basis..

3rd so far at the split.
  • rick_chasey
    Tony Martin fastest by 16 seconds after first split.

Using bottles, not camelbacks.
  • TheBigBean
    Oh, the proper riders have started.
  • rick_chasey
    Dennis 10 seconds down on Martin at 1st split.
  • TheBigBean
    Tony Martin fastest by 16 seconds after first split.

Using bottles, not camelbacks.

Some riders had both yesterday.
  • rick_chasey
    Man this is a bleak course.
  • rick_chasey
    Dumolin is not doing well. 20secs down on first checkpoint.
  • rick_chasey
    kiryienka 2 secs behind tony on first split
  • rick_chasey
    Martin miles ahead at split 2.

Dennis not - 3rd at split 2.
  • TheBigBean
    22s behind for Kiriyenka.
  • rick_chasey
    kiryienka 2nd @ split 2 20 seconds down.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Do people actually go to Qatar for pleasure? Looks awful.
  • rick_chasey
    I think we've reached peak cycling short length.