Rio Olympic Track events *Spoilers*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    RichN95 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    He doesn't help himself sometimes, that's for sure!

ouha3tit
    That journalist is just looking for a reaction though. If the commissaires don't think he should be penalised, why would Cavendish.
    Thijs has more than enough history of being anti Sky/GB

Same league as Rasmussen and Twatty Cutler
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    edited August 2016
    RichN95 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    That journalist is just looking for a reaction though. If the commissaires don't think he should be penalised, why would Cavendish.

I 100% know the Journo was fishing, but there are better ways to handle such situations. Sometimes, you have to put emotions behind you in those moments.

Fully agree that it was nothing more than a racing accident. I mentioned earlier, those helmets have real blind spot directly beside you, it's likely he just didn't even see what he was about to do.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I know she hasn't won it yet, but Laura Trott - what a magnificent cyclist.

I think everyone loves her. She comes across as an excited, enthusiastic cycling fan then just goes out and ruthlessly rips everyone apart. She must have an incredible engine.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    Gutted for Cav but also really pleased for Elia

Trott is just......

A force of nature?

Its stupid thing to wonder but you cant help wonder what she'd have been like if she rode the road.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

ouha3tit

Oh THAT guy. Yeah, he's got a truckload of previous
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Alex Rasmussen (NOT The Chicken) on DK TV - that's racig, stuff happens.
    Lasse Norman: Shit happens
    Viviani: He has nothing to apologize for

Numerous people on Twitter that really, really don't like Cav: He did it on purpose! Disqualify him!

It was shit riding, and I said so at the time. But there are some nutters out there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Trott is just......

A force of nature?

Its stupid thing to wonder but you cant help wonder what she'd have been like if she rode the road.

Well, she's only 24. Not like it isn't a possibility.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Trott is just......

A force of nature?

She does ride the road though, don't forget. Former national champ at that.

The only thing she'd get from focussing on the road is less money and less satisfaction.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Trott is just......

A force of nature?

True enough...

Its silly but because most big talents ride the road its the only way to allow some comparison.
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I'm confused, what was Wiggle Honda and Matrix now?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Trott is just......

A force of nature?

but she does :? a former national road race champion remember, rides for Matrix Fitness when track duties allow,but she doesnt like the road & much prefers the track.
  • ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Trott is just......

A force of nature?

True enough...

Its silly but because most big talents ride the road its the only way to allow some comparison.

Her heart is with track

Might change in the future, but she loves track a hundred times more than road
  • ddraver
    awavey wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Trott is just......

A force of nature?

but she does :? a former national road race champion remember, rides for Matrix Fitness when track duties allow,but she doesnt like the road & much prefers the track.

Yeah bit, you know, proper job like...
    - @ddraver
  • mfin wrote:

Road teams. Wiggle Honda now Wiggle High5. She and Barker moved from Wiggle to Matrix to enable them both the scale back on the road racing they were doing with Wiggle as Rio got a bit closer. Ditto Jo Rowsell who moved from Wiggle to Sarah and Barney Storey's team
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:

Road teams. Wiggle Honda now Wiggle High5. She and Barker moved from Wiggle to Matrix to enable them both the scale back on the road racing they were doing with Wiggle as Rio got a bit closer. Ditto Jo Rowsell who moved from Wiggle to Sarah and Barney Storey's team

Sorry, I know... I put it wrong, I thought it odd people weren't aware of her road career or what they were on about specifically with Trott and road racing.
  • ddraver
    I think it odd people aren't aware that her road career is naught but preparation for the track
    - @ddraver
  • I just think people are odd :o
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Dmitriev not odd. Dmitriev SMASH.
  • mark-cavendish-rio-2016-olympic-games_3765726.jpg?20160815233254

Does this mean Cavendish is finished or not?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    inseine wrote:
    Thanks BBC for all this channel switching nonsense, missed the last half of the race. Fair result in the end
    You could have watched the red button cycling channel for no interruptions. SD only though.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    So anyone know how Park is? Looked bad being stretchered off...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited August 2016
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

ouha3tit

Yes this. When I saw that I was like :roll:

Even Cav calls him up on it with the 'He wasn't Dutch was he?'
    Correlation is not causation.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

ouha3tit

I also am amazed by the fact that people on here are implicitly believeing that what this chap attributes Cav to have said, is of course what he has said - it's on the internet, and it has "Cav:" beside it, so it must be 100% true right.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Pross wrote:
    When did Alastair McGowan start cycling for Italy?

:D:D:D:D
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Germcevoy wrote:
    To say it was intentional by Cav is madness. He's just as likely to go down himself. If Viviani stayed down then Cav went and won gold then I think the earth would have stopped spinning,

Doesn't have to be rational to be intentional.

"It was my fault, I should have been looking more," silver medalist Cavendish told reporters. "I hope he's all right. I apologized to Elia after he went down."

Watching the video back, it's hard to think that he didn't have Park in his peripheral vision. Just happens to be Viviani down the track... maybe I've just got my tin foil hat on today.
  • prb007 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    When did Alastair McGowan start cycling for Italy?

:D:D:D:D

Before he took his helmet off I thought he looked like Everton footballer Leighton Baines
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    To my mind it was Cav having another red mist moment.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/hyo2.mp4

If Bouhanni had done that...
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Bit of a chopper move by Cavendish and if he did that to me i'd be wanting words afterwards! Perhaps a little harsh but Park could have protected his wheel better - he had double switched, had his front below Cavs rear while looking back and drifting up. Doesn't mean he is to blame but it was a lapse in concentration that cost him. You see it later on in the race when Viviani went across Boudat, Boudat was in a position to respond and avoid crashing.

Not sure if accurate but few tweets suggest that Colombia will be lodging an appeal today? Not sure how that works though considering Gaviria wasnt involved in the crash.
    Daniel B wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

ouha3tit

I also am amazed by the fact that people on here are implicitly believeing that what this chap attributes Cav to have said, is of course what he has said - it's on the internet, and it has "Cav:" beside it, so it must be 100% true right.

He looks to have been sitting in the media area in the stands at the start of the points race, after the race and watching the feed i didnt see Cavendish speaking to anyone there other than his family - the interviews were in the media zone in track centre. After that the womens devil was on, so hard to see when this discussion might have happened based on the time when his tweets were posted.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited August 2016
    This from the winner of the Omnium, who was one of the people taken out - assuming it is actually what he said of course!
    “It’s not his fault,” Viviani said. “The Korean guy was halfway on his wheel to the right, normally you stay on the wheel. Cav was in the front and changed direction, so it’s all normal. It’s a normal crash on the track. For sure it was a bad moment in the race.”
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Not sure if accurate but few tweets suggest that Colombia will be lodging an appeal today? Not sure how that works though considering Gaviria wasnt involved in the crash.
    Gaviria was in the process of trying to take a lap when the crash happened. He made contact after the crash when the pack had eased up but (I think) before the race was neutralised. I think he was credited with 20 points to begin with, but this was later removed (still during the race). Wouldn't surprise me if this is what the appeal relates to.