Lizzie

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Germcevoy wrote:
    At least Lizzie's fella is keeping a cool head...

JPEG_20160802_220743_zpsf63hlvgd.jpg

That'll help the PR battle :roll:

I can imagine Sky have asked him to take that one down tout suite
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,450
    edited August 2016
    Oh yeah the clinic is already back onto Sky thanks to that...

Have to say its turned it into a cycling version of Kimye vs TayTay and i'm hooked.

(thought pfp was single again so im also slightly heart broken)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,721
    ddraver wrote:
    Oh yeah the clinic is already back onto Sky thanks to that...

The STD clinic?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I'm slightly baffled by the hand-wringing over Armitstead not originally appealing the first missed test. She clearly had a legit, arguable excuse, and one I would imagine a doper would have used to their benefit. I don't get what is suspicious about not appealing it at the time.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,721
    JSCL wrote:
    This is a non-debate. Tin hat brigade. There's only a handful of athletes I reckon I could confidently say have and would not ever dope... Lizzie is one of them.

This.

I only hope that she doesn't have a permanent shadow as a result of this and that it does not affect her preparation for Rio.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    JSCL wrote:

This is a non-debate. Tin hat brigade. There's only a handful of athletes I reckon I could confidently say have and would not ever dope... Lizzie is one of them.

Why? What gives you this confidence?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • I for one am glad overall that she will be on the start line on Sunday, however , she deserves a MAJOR bollockng from someone! If it's forgetfulness then she needs to employ some kind of safety bet system, like a PA (family member) who she can trust.
    If it's not forgetfulness it smacks of pure stupidity, possibly even arrogance on both her part and that of BC that they were so confident that test 1 was flawed that hey simply waited until a 3rd miss and only then challenged test 1s administrative balls up, that begs the question, to me anyway..why not contest test 1 straight away, and remove it completely, but instead they have waited until all 3 bring about a ban before any such action, to me it doesn't make sense at all.
    I for one don't think LA (female!!) is a doper, but if she wins gold then the sh it storm that descends on her is entirely of her own doing...no sympathy really.
    And on the subject of podium expectations... It's been reported from a non podium athlete that whilst they were all in zoo class to fly to Rio, the " medal candidates" we're all in 1st class!! Can anyone confirm if that is true, because if so then the Team UK Management need to hang their heads!!!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pinno wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

This.

I only hope that she doesn't have a permanent shadow as a result of this and that it does not affect her preparation for Rio.

Id agree totally, but...and thats the problem theres now always going to be a 'but' added on to any discussion about Lizzie, it will always be something the doubters will chuck back at her, its not a permanent shadow so much as a permanent question, as you can guarantee it will be question number 1 in any interviewers mind for the forseeable future, remember that time you almost didnt make it to Rio because...and will undoubtedly be something dragged up again during her book promotion if its not tackled directly in it.

and thats assuming between now and October, another out of comp test isnt missed for whatever reason,which isnt guaranteed is it, as thats kind of been the problem.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    And on the subject of podium expectations... It's been reported from a non podium athlete that whilst they were all in zoo class to fly to Rio, the " medal candidates" we're all in 1st class!! Can anyone confirm if that is true, because if so then the Team UK Management need to hang their heads!!!

well on the cycling side they are all medal candidates arent they ? wasnt that the criteria BC told Jess V team selection was based on ;)
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    awavey wrote:

well on the cycling side they are all medal candidates arent they ? wasnt that the criteria BC told Jess V team selection was based on ;)
    Someone I know is a UK solicitor on the CAS panel and he was sat next to Froomey up the front end of the plane flying to Rio.

I know it to be that some athletes were back in the normal seats too.

Co2Czk-WEAAtCiI.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • On the plus side, at least tonight we've discovered that PFP and Absalon have been building bridges between women's and men's cycling, which in anyone's book is surely a good thing
  • JSCL wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Someone I know is a UK solicitor on the CAS panel and he was sat next to Froomey up the front end of the plane flying to Rio.

Co2Czk-WEAAtCiI.jpg

Heaven FORFEND that I should be a pedant but in the interest of accuracy, that's BA Club, not First
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    JSCL wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Heaven FORFEND that I should be a pedant but in the interest of accuracy, that's BA Club, not First

Sorry, I'm not a seasoned BA traveler :) In fact, I try to avoid BA at all costs, but that's another discussion! We already have too many going on in this thread!

I knew they weren't going economy though!
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,450

...do they tho?

some dude thatll be knocked out in the first round of the table tennis and spend the rest of them time chatting up nubile young athletes should have the same seat as multi gold winning, tour winning, Paris-Roubaix 8th place finisher SBW?

Sport is the ultimate meritocracy
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    On the plus side, at least tonight we've discovered that PFP and Absalon have been building bridges between women's and men's cycling, which in anyone's book is surely a good thing

It's half six and I've been up all night winding young Peter Sagan so can't be bothered finding out for myself.

Is this a back handed reference to some sort of twitter spat/other scandal or something actually interesting?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    OK, googled again after a coffee. Meh.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,240
    Timoid. wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

I think he actually knows a lot of these people (look at his twitter).
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

Well that's alright then. JSCL says everything is fine so nothing to see here.
  • Still utterly gob-smacked at how unprofessionally and casually she has treated this part of her job. Incredible.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,240
    smithy21 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    JSCL wrote:

Well that's alright then. JSCL says everything is fine so nothing to see here.

That's not what I meant!
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,477
    Still utterly gob-smacked at how unprofessionally and casually she has treated this part of her job. Incredible.
    That'd be fair comment if the family emergency incident hadn't been the third strike. With hindsight of course there are things she should and could have done even whilst a family emergency was taking place but it's entirely understandable that family might have come first at that time.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    larkim wrote:
    Still utterly gob-smacked at how unprofessionally and casually she has treated this part of her job. Incredible.
    That'd be fair comment if the family emergency incident hadn't been the third strike. With hindsight of course there are things she should and could have done even whilst a family emergency was taking place but it's entirely understandable that family might have come first at that time.

Indeed, but if she'd dealt with things properly that would have only been the first missed test against her.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,058
    The_Boy wrote:
    On the plus side, at least tonight we've discovered that PFP and Absalon have been building bridges between women's and men's cycling

Is this a back handed reference to some sort of twitter spat/other scandal or something actually interesting?

They've been an official item since earlier in the year.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,477
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Indeed, but if she'd dealt with things properly that would have only been the first missed test against her.
    Yes, agreed. But if the first incident wasn't actually a missed test on her behalf (which CAS accepts) then only the second incident can be argued to be "unprofessionally and casually" handled. And even then we don't know what stars aligned which could well have meant it was the one day in the whole year where her ADAMS whereabouts records were poor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be some over-zealous defender of someone who I have faith in as being clean. Just trying to dial down some of the rhetoric which makes judgements that most of us aren't in a position to make, supportive or otherwise.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    larkim wrote:

First missed test or last one - quite frankly if it was a family emergency then stuff anything else. I'm sure that UKAD could've confirmed it was a real emergency and not a "I've stubbed my toe" or "I've locked myself out" sort of one. Having had a family emergency in the last 12 months I can assure you that everything else pretty much goes out of the window.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    The problem is that you can make excuses for any one of the tests. That's why you get 3 strikes.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    JSCL wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Sorry, I'm not a seasoned BA traveler :) In fact, I try to avoid BA at all costs, but that's another discussion! We already have too many going on in this thread!

I knew they weren't going economy though!

Some are, some aren't - depending on the sport - in T&F a few were put into Business by UK Athletics, either because they are medal hopes or because they're 6ft6 like Martyn Rooney - this may or may not have caused a few moans within the team, depending on if you believe what is written in the press.

It's up to the different Sports Feds in which bit of the plane their team travel.

In Froome's case - BC may have upgraded him, or upon receiving his flight details and economy seating his wife may well have unleashed the Froome Family Credit Card and paid for an upgrade. His €3m a year salary can probably stretch to it. Or even the fee he got for riding a few laps round a Dutch town centre last Monday evening likely covered it off.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Given the sport and it's history why would she expect the benefit of the doubt?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,595
    Presumably won't ever know, but would be interesting to know if any other riders at that hotel in Sweden were tested the same day and had no issue being contacted, whether UKAD or some other country.

Seems more than doubtful that the UKAD test reps would go all the way to Sweden for 1 test of 1 athlete on 1 day. Or is that usual?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,190
    Presumably won't ever know, but would be interesting to know if any other riders at that hotel in Sweden were tested the same day and had no issue being contacted, whether UKAD or some other country.

Seems more than doubtful that the UKAD test reps would go all the way to Sweden for 1 test of 1 athlete on 1 day. Or is that usual?
    I would think UKAD would get accredited Swedish testers to do the tests for them. I maybe entirely wrong about that though.
    Twitter: @RichN95