TdF 2016 Stage 14 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    MrB123 wrote:
    Hard to see Cav dropping out the Tour now. One more win this year and the record is really on the cards.

I would suggest that another win on the Champs Elysees ranks higher in his mind than the overall stage record.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    hqdefault.jpg

Miguel Indurain 52 today.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    MrB123 wrote:
    Hard to see Cav dropping out the Tour now. One more win this year and the record is really on the cards.

I would suggest that another win on the Champs Elysees ranks higher in his mind than the overall stage record.

Yeah he has to believe the Champs is well within reach.
  • FocusZing
    ^Ha!
  • FocusZing
    Double post.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I
    tonyf34 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    First bit of this year I ve been able to watch, Blimey have all Cav's wins been that good???
    That was the most dominant one I think.
    As Robbie McEwen said earlier in discussion with B&M in which he half cheekily called Cav for the win, he's not the dominant Cav of old as he's not winning by several lengths but he's that good that he's still winning.

I was thinking during that discussion with McEwen whether Cav was that dominant 2009-2012 because he was just amazin or because everyone else was a bit rubbish, he didn't have a challenger. That isn't to criticise Cav but Greipel was not racing the Tour then, Kittel wasn't around, Kristoff hadn't appeared. Who did Cav have as competition back then? Hushovd?

Tyler Ferrar and an aging Petachi were his erm.. Rivals.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I love losing in PTP when Cav wins.

Good man. Not that I'm playing PTP this year but whenever I picked him he lost. So it seems it works for others. I also turn my TV off because if I don't watch the sprint, he wins.

Every time I pick Kittel, Cav wins. I'm going to continue picking Kittel :D
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    JSCL wrote:
    I'm not really sure why Kittel feels the need to take it from the front every time.
    Cav mentioned this after one of his earlier wins (second one maybe) - he's relying on Kittel and Greipel being nervous and desperate for a win - Kittel's going early almost out of panic - Cav said himself it's the trap he's fallen into in the last few Tours.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Graeme_S wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    I'm not really sure why Kittel feels the need to take it from the front every time.
    Cav mentioned this after one of his earlier wins (second one maybe) - he's relying on Kittel and Greipel being nervous and desperate for a win - Kittel's going early almost out of panic - Cav said himself it's the trap he's fallen into in the last few Tours.
    Indeed.

I do believe Kittel is still a great sprinter, he's only 28. It seems to be a common thing at EQS that riders lack confidence in themselves. He may be the big guy, but that doesn't mean he can't get the benefit from following the wheels behind someone else.

You can see whenever Cav is sat in his wheel in to the sprint, you just know he's going to take it without fail (at the moment anyway). I think we'll see much more and better racing from Kittel, just not this tour.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Diplomatic language from Kittel post stage "move influenced the result'". Agreed, he might have got 3rd or 4th.

The way Cav analyses the last couple of hundred metres suggests his confidence (in himself and his team-mates) is sky high. Clearly looking for more stage wins.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The lack of Giant-Alpecin train is having a big effect I think.

Ettix get the timing wrong - The whole Giant thing of leaving it late and really winding it up seemed to work well for Kittel.

But Cavendish just bette than he has been the last few years. I thought / hoped he was suffering the usual decline sprinters get as they get older but nae such luck.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Glad I didn't watch today's stage, never want Cavendish to win.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    mfin wrote:

Thanks for sharing.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • FocusZing
    mfin wrote:

What did you think about the other three stages he has won?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    FocusZing wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Or the other 26 before that...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Cav currently chatting on "Vive le Velo", the Belgian Avondetappe.
    Robbie McEwan is the guest.
    Seems as if the whole hour is about Cav. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    FocusZing wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Haven't got a problem with his performances, it's him, I just find him boring and he's definitely a sore loser which doesn't help. I do understand how so many people will like him purely because he wins and he's british though.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    tonyf34 wrote:
    tonyf34 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    First bit of this year I ve been able to watch, Blimey have all Cav's wins been that good???
    That was the most dominant one I think.
    As Robbie McEwen said earlier in discussion with B&M in which he half cheekily called Cav for the win, he's not the dominant Cav of old as he's not winning by several lengths but he's that good that he's still winning.

I was thinking during that discussion with McEwen whether Cav was that dominant 2009-2012 because he was just amazing or because everyone else was a bit rubbish, he didn't have a challenger. That isn't to criticise Cav but Greipel was not racing the Tour then, Kittel wasn't around, Kristoff hadn't appeared. Who did Cav have as competition back then? Hushovd?
    Well Hushovd won the first stage in '08 and won the Green in 09, Oscar Freire nicked his last grand tour victory in '08 in the 2nd stage though was at the back end of his career but still won Green that year, Steegmans won the final stage that year.

I think there were still plenty for Cav to worry about before Griepel et al Hush was bigger than AG at his peak. Maybe teams are more organised now than when Cav first came to the fore?

Hushovd was quite handy, especially given an uphill finish, and Petacchi was good enough still to win green in 2010. One R McEwen was still about, even if he was having to snipe the odd win. Ciolek wasn't terrible, either. Cavendish's winning margins were ridiculous during that period though - I doubt anyone could have lived with that speed, to be honest.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    mfin wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Haven't got a problem with his performances, it's him, I just find him boring and he's definitely a sore loser which doesn't help. I do understand how so many people will like him purely because he wins and he's british though.
    Yeah, he can be a bit brash (to put it mildly).

But he is very fast, great to watch and if he's lost I'll just avoid the interviews where he acts like a teat...

I think people like that he "wears his heart on his sleeve".
  • mfin
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    mfin wrote:

But he is very fast, great to watch and if he's lost I'll just avoid the interviews where he acts like a teat...

He wears his sore loser heart on his sleeve when he loses, when he wins the team thanking and so on seems so insincere and always sounds the same too. Always like listening to other great sporting talkers like Wayne Rooney too.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I imagine DS folks out there want their sprinters to be sore losers to a degree, or at least angry about losing.

Being gracious in defeat is one thing, but I imagine that at times this could be interpreted as accepting defeat, which managers and sports pscychos whould have an issue with (to put it mildly).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Cng1_LIW8AEl-jY?format=jpg&name=large
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    mfin wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I love the fact he hates losing and wears his heart on his sleeve rather than being media trained drone
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    mfin wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    mfin wrote:

He wears his sore loser heart on his sleeve when he loses, when he wins the team thanking and so on seems so insincere and always sounds the same too. Always like listening to other great sporting talkers like Wayne Rooney too.

Even assuming this is true, 95% of riders would save the insincerity for when they lose (Kittel: "my team were perfect today" despite dropping him off far enough out that he could lose the sprint, sit up, throw his toys out the pram and still not have rolled in). Why not appreciate a rider for sharing his actual thoughts when he's pissed off, rather than refusing to speak at all - he's not under any obligation.

And for what it's worth, I've heard lots of sprinters praise their team. I can't remember hearing any of the others explain precisely what each individual contributed over the 10km prior to a victory.

I understand you don't like Cavendish, and that's fine - we all have our inexplicable prejudices and favourites - but it sounds to me as if you're inventing things to justify it. Perhaps you're too busy grinding your teeth (or pointedly not watching a stage that you feel qualified to comment on) to actually listen to what he says?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Boring he ain't
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • FocusZing

Great shot, S5 looks good. He get's so low and aero.

I like the way he is talking about seeing the tour to Paris. Hope he still manages to get a gold in Rio.
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Even assuming this is true, 95% of riders would save the insincerity for when they lose (Kittel: "my team were perfect today" despite dropping him off far enough out that he could lose the sprint, sit up, throw his toys out the pram and still not have rolled in). Why not appreciate a rider for sharing his actual thoughts when he's pissed off, rather than refusing to speak at all - he's not under any obligation.

And for what it's worth, I've heard lots of sprinters praise their team. I can't remember hearing any of the others explain precisely what each individual contributed over the 10km prior to a victory.

I understand you don't like Cavendish, and that's fine - we all have our inexplicable prejudices and favourites - but it sounds to me as if you're inventing things to justify it. Perhaps you're too busy grinding your teeth (or pointedly not watching a stage that you feel qualified to comment on) to actually listen to what he says?

No, I've witnessed stacks of Cavendish's wins, and plenty of his interviews and to me he comes across just like I've said. Simple.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Was just daydreaming seeing Cav V Cipolini V The Tashkent Terror in their prime.... Now that would have been a match up
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I like Cav. I think he's genuine and honest. When his team has cocked up he'll say it, when he's cocked up he'll admit it (barring some cases of argy bargy in disputed sprints). I think he's genuine when he praises his teammates, and have heard him talk about how much pressure he feels to deliver when his team have worked their arses off for him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format