TdF 2016 Stage 12 *Contains spoilers*

Comments

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    So, The Arrow does a complete U turn on what he said, yesterday and thinks the Commies descion was great after all.....

His humbleness made me titter
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Has anyone posted this yet?

Quintana cheating. Clearly holding wheels on a moto

https://twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015

Check back a page or two. Yes :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    JSCL wrote:

Check back a page or two. Yes :)

Haha :lol::lol:

Thanks, I was coming back to delete it when I saw your comment.
  • SaddleBags
    SaddleBags Posts: 12
    Was anyone else surprised to see the long-haired guy in the green jersey sitting on Froome's wheel half way up Ventoux yesterday?
  • SaddleBags
    SaddleBags Posts: 12
    Well ok, a green jersey at a bit of a stretch ...but it might explain why he tried escaping on foot after the crash :)

29IdHTp
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    2p worth. With fans last year showing the depths they will plumb (urine, punches etc.) I think the UCI commissioners took a decision with at least a bit of a mind to preventing fans from deliberately blocking riders in the future.

Consider following situation - your man has been attacked and has been gapped, then in order to allow him to close back up you "fall over" in front of the moto leading the attack group (hope the moto's driver stops in time) and hold up the leaders for those vital seconds to allow your man to catch. The jury's decision tends to show that delays due to crowd action will be reversed - and that should hopefully prevent "fans" from trying to change the result
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,658
    Fans have always been bad. Were saying the same in the '70s after Merckx got punched.

Isn't the first, won't be the last.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    smithy21 wrote:
    It's more when bad external sh!t happens my understanding is that they said 'yeah, it's bad luck'. It's part of the circus.

Merckx didn't get his time back when he got punched by a fan.

Neither did Flecha, neither did Giuseppe Gerini on the Alp.

Look, like I said, I don't mind the decision, but I get the other side.

Sheesh, you lot are defensive of your Froomedog!

I would be more upset if I was GVA. He would have won San Sebastián. There was no doubt there.

There's plenty of doubt - Yates was only a couple of seconds behind him as you can see on the footage and was, if anything, being hampered by the motos in front, one of which ran into the back of GVA.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Fans have always been bad. Were saying the same in the '70s after Merckx got punched.

Isn't the first, won't be the last.
    Which of course does not mean no effort should be made to improve the current situation.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure, but this whole 'well things will change now because it's unprecedented' isn't the right comment to make. There is precedent, and they don't have a history of doing much about it.
  • rick_chasey
    Watching the Dutch reactions to this.

They're livid that Quintana got the same time as Mollema. Livid.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Which is fair enough, really.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Which is fair enough, really.

did he? i thought he got the same time as yates?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Same here!
  • rick_chasey
    Is a shame for Mollema particularly.

Without being condescending, riders like Mollema don't get these kinds of days that often. These few days it all lines up can really define their career. Porte & Froome will have and have already bigger and better fish.
  • bobmcstuff
    Is a shame for Mollema particularly.

Without being condescending, riders like Mollema don't get these kinds of days that often. These few days it all lines up can really define their career. Porte & Froome will have and have already bigger and better fish.
    No for sure, and Froome was always going to make it back today anyway.

Was still the only thing to do though.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    RonB wrote:
    Same here!

he did, i ws right. just checked on letour.fr
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    One of my favourite journos Wilfred de Jong.

To paraphrase "what is this, some kind of jury sport? Is this some kind of dressage bulls!t. I've watched cycling since the '70s and when bad stuff happens yeah, it happens. Tough sh!t."

I tend to agree.

Dutchies feel Froome ought to get thrown out for making progress up the road without a bike. They feel. "you NEVER leave your bike and make progress without it". But yeah, it's bad circumstances, so they feel AT LEAST, he shouldn't be the man who profits more than any other. Maybe given him 3 minutes penalty or something for leaving his bike.

• rick_chasey
    Yeah, they've articulated what I felt at the time.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, the running isn't unprecedented. Can't find the picture, but has happened a few times.

Riders were DQs for running without a bike.
  • bobmcstuff
    Also, the running isn't unprecedented. Can't find the picture, but has happened a few times.

And that would also be BS if it happened tomorrow.

What do these dutchies think, Mollema has been robbed of yellow? If the times had stood Froome would still be 7s ahead today.

I don't see how it's different to Yates getting awarded the time gap the other day - which nobody seemed to care about.
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:

What do these dutchies think, Mollema has been robbed of yellow? If the times had stood Froome would still be 7s ahead today.

I don't see how it's different to Yates getting awarded the time gap the other day - which nobody seemed to care about.

He got the same time as Yates as Quintana despite being ahead of them before AND after the incident - and Quintana was even off the back of the group of Yates.

That's the difference.
  • RonB
    I thought his time stood & it was Porte and Froome who were given his time.
  • rick_chasey
    They're a bit more about the Tour and less about the 'fairness' of the sport, which I tend to agree with.

Sh!t happens, it's the Tour. You ride your luck, figuratively and literally.
  • rick_chasey
    Basically everyone gets compensated apart from Mollema, and he was one of the ones on the ground! Quintana gets the same time and he was way off the entire way!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

He got the same time as Yates as Quintana despite being ahead of them before AND after the incident - and Quintana was even off the back of the group of Yates.

That's the difference.

Yeah I agree that's unfair.

I don't agree that means Froome and Porte should have been penalised for ASO screwing it up though.
  • rick_chasey
    But ja, is what it is.
  • RonB
    Which is +05'05" for Mollema, Froome and Porte and +05'24" for Quintana etc.
  • bobmcstuff
    They just need to be clear about why they're doing things and do them consistently IMO. Specially for outside influences like that, it's the inconsistency that gets people's backs up in the end - if everyone knew what was going to happen I don't think it would be so bad. Obviously people would be able to argue but they'd be able to point to the rules and there wouldn't be loads of opposing precedents.

That was the problem with Porte's wheel change the other year, they penalised him (which was fine as that's what the rules say) but other times they just ignored it instead.