Giro 16 - Stage 20 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Chaves loses about a minute and a half? Scarponi helpfully rubbing it in over the line.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    About 50 secs lead for Nibs ... That last 0.5Km took an age for Chavez ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ddraver wrote:
    Nibs wins

Well, you have to give him that. Great ride!

Yep, fair play. Brilliant effort from Nibali and Astana. I'm gutted for Chaves and still for Kruijswijk.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Aw, Nibali goes to console Chaves’s mum.
    That was a nice gesture.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    adr82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Well I suspected this would happen but I didn't want to believe it.

Poor Esteban :(
    He should have plenty more chances, he's only 26.

Yeah one for the future for sure. Can't be happy about this though, clearly it's been a great ride by Nibali so you've got to credit him that but the last couple of days has been painful watching.

Kruijswijk hasn't done all that bad given the fractured rib...
  • salsiccia1
    Aw, Nibali goes to console Chaves’s mum.

I think they came to seek him out. Lovely moment, all the same.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    Great job by Astana... proper teamwork on the final climb... chapeau to Vino's French too
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Nibs wins

Well, you have to give him that. Great ride!

Yep, fair play. Brilliant effort from Nibali and Astana. I'm gutted for Chaves and still for Kruijswijk.

Yep, that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well, that was quite an end to a Giro that wasn't promising much!!
  • salsiccia1

The Giro always delivers 8)
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Gutted
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Chaves was ultimately found wanting, but Kruijswijk would have walked to GC victory if he hadn’t crashed yesterday. What a way to lose a grand tour. The poor man.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

The Giro always delivers 8)

I wish the same could be said about the other GT... :lol:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Gutted for Chaves, and Kruijswijk; a champion ride from Nibali but I take no pleasure from seeing Astana win another GT and seeing Vino wheeled out for an interview.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ugo.santalucia
    Chaves was ultimately found wanting, but Kruijswijk would have walked to GC victory if he hadn’t crashed yesterday. What a way to lose a grand tour. The poor man.

If, but... what if Nibali didn't break a rear derailleur in the TT? It's impossible to make a GC out of if and but...
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    ddraver wrote:
    Superman theme plays as Uran arrives...

yes especially whan he cracked his mate - could have gone top 5 himself and should have done more for Dumbo
  • bobmcstuff

Last Saturday was a good stage as well.
  • specialgueststar
    Taaramae - good lad
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    That was not good viewing. I am feeling really depressed by what I have seen over the last two days.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • specialgueststar
    classic
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    chapeau to Vino's French too
    He's lived in either France or Monaco for twenty years. It would a disgrace if it wasn't good.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509

If, but... what if Nibali didn't break a rear derailleur in the TT? It's impossible to make a GC out of if and but...
    Sure. It’s no-one’s fault but his own that Kruijswijk ran off the road. But his penalty for that was harsh. Of course the main reason he crashed was that he was cross-eyed from the climb and Nibali was racing the descent.

Likewise, it’s no-one’s fault but Nibali’s that he forced a front shift while pumping 400 watts into the drivetrain. It’s hilarious how often pros drop their chain. This literally never happens to me on cheap Shimano Claris stuff because I’m not a numpty.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    fair play to chaves, 26 and just come 2nd in Giro, lots of guys hyped up to be grand tour contenders haven't gone near that!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Nibali almost Landis-like in his improvement over two days there.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ugo.santalucia
    fair play to chaves, 26 and just come 2nd in Giro, lots of guys hyped up to be grand tour contenders haven't gone near that!

Others have done better... Schleck was 21 or so when he did 2nd at the Giro and Quintana won at 23 or 24... Cunego won at 23, Gimondi won the Tour at 23 and the Giro at 25... Contador won the Tour at 25, Merckx won the Giro at 23 and the Tour at 24.

Grand Tours are not just for old glories
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Likewise, it’s no-one’s fault but Nibali’s that he forced a front shift while pumping 400 watts into the drivetrain. It’s hilarious how often pros drop their chain. This literally never happens to me on cheap Shimano Claris stuff because I’m not a numpty.

Not because you're not pumping 400 watts? :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Gweeds wrote:
    Nibali almost Landis-like in his improvement over two days there.

Maybe that's a bit too far, Landis did a solo stage, Nibali did a 4-5 Km ascent on his own... there is an analogy with Aru last year, that is quite clear. The Astana team did a great job, before he caught Kangaert they were about to catch him
  • salsiccia1

Not because you're not pumping 400 watts? :lol:

Burn
  • bobmcstuff

Others have done better... Schleck was 21 or so when he did 2nd at the Giro and Quintana won at 23 or 24... Cunego won at 23, Gimondi won the Tour at 23 and the Giro at 25... Contador won the Tour at 25, Merckx won the Giro at 23 and the Tour at 24.

Grand Tours are not just for old glories

Such a naysayer...

As ozzy said plenty of very hyped GC guys (for some reason mainly French...) never manage that. It's been a really good ride by Chaves and I hope he goes on to great things.

I don't think anyone would deny Nibali has put in a great performance here.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    AndyRAC wrote:
    Gutted for Chaves, and Kruijswijk; a champion ride from Nibali but I take no pleasure from seeing Astana win another GT and seeing Vino wheeled out for an interview.

Yea, sickened to see Vino and Astana winning this. Hopefully Nibs is clean (Rob Hatch was saying what many are thinking! Fair play.) It would be so much better for cycling if Kruijswijk or Chaves had won the race. The old guard still influence cycling today and that's not good.

Good rides today from Nieve, Rigoberto, Joe D, Atapuma and Taaramae. A good Giro overall for Joe D too. He is progressing nicely.

DD.