Tour of Yorkshire *spoiler*

Comments

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    neonriver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Nicole Cooke is currently writing a rant about how the Wright Brothers destroyed her career.

Not that far from truth some weird ranting on Twitter about how unprofessional it was not to have a back up plane on standby. Think some of these people have no clue how to organise races and the costs involved

and some people have no clue that sponsors sign up to these events and provide such large pots of prize fund money, and sponsors sign up to teams on the basis of the promised coverage theyll get, which should have been several hours of live coverage, not well there might be 10mins of highlights of the finish line because thats basically all we can get.

sometimes weird things happen outside of your control, and you have to deal with them as best you can and safety has to be paramount, but you still have a back up plan, an alternate solution, especially around something as fundamental to providing coverage of the race.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    FCE2007 wrote:
    They made a hash of the rolling road closures there. Got a bit hairy at one stage as there was solo, peloton, and two small groups split over 5 minutes. Cars and weekend warriors back on the road before the broom wagon came through :(

Reports from my wife's old team of riders being held up at traffic lights. Dangerous.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    awavey wrote:
    neonriver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Nicole Cooke is currently writing a rant about how the Wright Brothers destroyed her career.

Not that far from truth some weird ranting on Twitter about how unprofessional it was not to have a back up plane on standby. Think some of these people have no clue how to organise races and the costs involved

and some people have no clue that sponsors sign up to these events and provide such large pots of prize fund money, and sponsors sign up to teams on the basis of the promised coverage theyll get, which should have been several hours of live coverage, not well there might be 10mins of highlights of the finish line because thats basically all we can get.

sometimes weird things happen outside of your control, and you have to deal with them as best you can and safety has to be paramount, but you still have a back up plan, an alternate solution, especially around something as fundamental to providing coverage of the race.

Fine what should the back up plan be? The only way to transmit the feed over that large an area is via a relay plane and there not likely to just have one sitting around in case of an emergency. Sometimes shit happens.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    My man Tankink showing Yorkshire how it's done.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Come to Britain to see cycle racing at it's best. Shit weather and we couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Great advert for the country and the professionalism of our sport.
  • rick_chasey
    So plane going back. Unlikely for pictures to be up before the finish.

Everyone here is gutted. Massive village bbq with a big screen :(
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Definitely time to blame the french!
  • cneifion
    cneifion Posts: 53
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Come to Britain to see cycle racing at it's best. shoot weather and we couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Great advert for the country and the professionalism of our sport.

The organisation of this event, including the broadcasting, is down to ASO, a French outfit. And I thought the weather added to the interest of yesterday's stage.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited April 2016
    Shame for the sponsors but I hope the roadside fans have a good day. They make all the difference and turn these events into the spectacle that we all want to see. Scenery etc will always be there next time.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Come to Britain to see cycle racing at it's best. shoot weather and we couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. Great advert for the country and the professionalism of our sport.

It's an ASO race with TV coverage organised by them with a French broadcaster, then relayed. There is no UK host broadcaster.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    RonB wrote:
    Shame for the sponsors but I hope the roadside fans have a good day. It's they make all the difference and turn these events into the spectacle that we all want to see. Scenery etc will always be there next time.

The problem is, many of the TV audience will see that this was such a farce and won't bother tuning in again next time. They'll just remember what a waste of time it was watching the waffle and will have been turned off.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I've just got up off nights to watch end of today's stage to realise it's yesterday's? What's happened? Has TV coverage been down all day then?
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Definitely time to blame the french!

Personally I'd blame the Yorkies!!
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    I can appreciate legitimate technical or safety concerns with this plane. But, a bit like Wimbledon does with rain delays, surely ITV4 should re-run some cycling content whilst they have a captive audience? To not show the women's race, but revert to a fishing show seems silly, and dismissive of women's cycling. Surely plan B could have been to show a recent women's race or highlights.
  • rick_chasey
    Crestfallen here.

Gave my men a decent shout on the way down when they passed.

Time gap with 50km to go was 1:10 with lotto continuing the work.
  • rick_chasey
    25km to go, lotto still lead the bunch, break @35 secs
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ed-tron wrote:
    I can appreciate legitimate technical or safety concerns with this plane. But, a bit like Wimbledon does with rain delays, surely ITV4 should re-run some cycling content whilst they have a captive audience? To not show the women's race, but revert to a fishing show seems silly, and dismissive of women's cycling. Surely plan B could have been to show a recent women's race or highlights.
    They probably don't have the rights to any of them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Ed-tron wrote:

Ed, at least with the women's race they stuck with sport. They've replaced the men's race with The Minder, which seems to include a young Inspector Wexford dressed as an 80s casual.
  • cneifion
    cneifion Posts: 53
    Ed-tron wrote:

To give Eurosport some credit they did put on the highlights of the first two rounds of the British Cycling Spring Cup when it became apparent they weren't getting any pictures. Thought they might have put on the Tour of the Reservoirs highlights as well though.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    The weather was nice where we were and the brief televised part I caught back home did coincide with Birkin so my daughter got to see a small dot on the screen that was her. Got a couple of pics

The break
    13076948_10209559488450617_7166633607456420243_n.jpg?oh=a98a40ef37b5a42da8402624db057d7b&oe=57B050D7

And the bunch

13124450_10209559488490618_332703410890470147_n.jpg?oh=17455d4a46ca26261e6a3dec6324d73d&oe=57E851A3
  • RichN95.
    Van Poppel wins followed by Groenwegen, Arndt and Opie.
  • rick_chasey
    Dutch keep their grip on all the wins with van Poppel winning the sprint
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    José Been ‏@TourDeJose · 3m3 minutes ago
    View translation

Use of ‘van’ beween NL and BEL names >>

It’s Danny van Poppel (lower case v)
    but Greg Van Avermaet (upper case v)

Every days a school day.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Well yeah I wasn't gonna get it wrong was I?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited April 2016
    RichN95 wrote:

Well its only the biggest womens race to date, with the most prize money. So you'd think the organisers would put some effort in to promote female cycling.
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... armitstead
    neonriver wrote:
    Fine what should the back up plan be? The only way to transmit the feed over that large an area is via a relay plane and there not likely to just have one sitting around in case of an emergency. Sometimes shoot happens.

Well yes, they should have contingency plans for when plan A doesnt work. Having a spare aircraft on standby for when the primary aircraft goes tits up is pretty basic. Even the RAF does this.
    Blaming one unserviceable aircraft as an excuse for no coverage seems a bit too much of a basic mistake to be true? I wonder if theres another reason.
    HF-Complex-Long-Distance-System.jpg
    Im surprised they used WW2 Jap Mitsubishi Zero fighters as relay aircraft :lol:

http://cyclingtips.com/2013/07/eyes-in- ... the-world/

"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Well yeah I wasn't gonna get it wrong was I?

It's not all about you.
    :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    ben@31 wrote:
    Well its only the biggest womens race to date
    It's not even the biggest women's race being held today. Vos, Johansson, van der Breggen etc are all doing the Luxembourg Festival, which is higher ranked race.
    ben@31 wrote:
    Well yes, they should have contingency plans for when plan A doesnt work. Having a spare aircraft on standby for when the primary aircraft goes tits up is pretty basic.
    Getting another aircraft isn't the problem. It's all the TV relay equipment installed in it that is the problem (and expensive).
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    ben@31 wrote:

Well its only the biggest womens race to date, with the most prize money. So you'd think the organisers would put some effort in to promote female cycling.

We are all disappointed by the outcome in both races, but shoehorning the issue into a sexist agenda is a bit of a stretch.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    ben@31 wrote:
    Well yes, they should have contingency plans for when plan A doesnt work. Having a spare aircraft on standby for when the primary aircraft goes tits up is pretty basic. Even the RAF does this.
    Blaming one unserviceable aircraft as an excuse for no coverage seems a bit too much of a basic mistake to be true? I

I realise there have been defence cut backs but I would hope the RAF still have a little more air resources to call upon than a 2.1 race!
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    RichN95 wrote:
    Getting another aircraft isn't the problem. It's all the TV relay equipment installed in it that is the problem (and expensive).

The point I'm getting at is I'm surprised if theres only one aircraft with this equipment fit and they relying on such a weak link with no other available. As somebody mentioned above, because its a "lower race " the organisers might not invest in resources as much as they do with Spring Classics or Grand Tours ? But money saving bites them in the bum if it goes wrong, like it has this weekend.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby