Tour of Yorkshire *spoiler*

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
edited May 2016 in Pro race
So I'm in Doncaster for the weekend; the finish town for stage 2.

Serious excitement around here for it.

I'd say every 20 houses has a yellow painted bike outside. Lots and lots of houses have bunting in Yorkshire blue and yellow. Lots of signs out, welcoming the riders and telling them to "get on your bike"

Finish like decorated to the 9s. Final straight has bunting criss crossing the road the whole way down.

It's crazy.

All the locals have been boning up on the favourite riders, including the women (which also goes past).

Overheard someone say "that show off Frenchie, wotisname, Voorklerr? They did a good job getting him in." " oo aye".

They're quite proud of the prize money for the women is so high too.

Local kids from the school in the village I'm in have arranged a big show for the helicopter too.

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    It sort of passed me but last year, but I am quite excited for it this time around.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    My parents town is also 'all-in' with Yellow bikes, bunting etc.
    The race is literally going past the end of their road, but probably at about 50kph so not sure they'll see much!

I'll be on Sutton Bank.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    looking good!

tdy_zpsvcewyilc.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Yup. Baltic up here.

Good luck to the sportive riders....
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Same view this morning.

ChHays6XEAAsMNi.jpg:large

So fingers crossed.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    what's the sportive like? fancy doing it one year.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Still some snow about though - could be a Tour of Catalunya ski station finish but with dry stone walls

CEaxPLL.jpg
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Sweet... Is it going to be on Eurosport? Or BBC?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Whole stage coverage of the entire race on ITV 4, plus the last couple of hours of the women's race.
    Eurosport have the last couple of hours of each stage, plus all of the women's race on Saturday, live.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    Great. Will make my colleagues watch it tomorrow then ;)
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Can't wait for this race again this year, just something about racing on British roads.

Who do we reckon is up for this? Who is leading Sky? I quite fancy Pete or Luke Rowe at 18-1 and 25-1 respectively.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Did you miss le grand depart up there Rick? Awesome atmosphere. Race starts in my home town tomorrow, shame its on a Friday as I don't have enough leave to get up there for it. Will be watching on TV over the weekend though, should be a good race. I know a few of the women racing as well so will be keeping an eye on that. Oh, and I won a signed Dimension Data bottle - fantastic!
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    I will be in Settle tomorrow (unless this weather takes a serious turn for the worst) and I am expecting a Caleb Ewan win. Not sure he will enjoy the cold that much though.

Kennaugh has been busy today but also said he is just hoping to finish the race and help out Nordhaug.

It will all be decided up on my home territory, the North York Moors, on Sunday. I am hoping to catch the race there and maybe get into Scarborough too.
  • It passes within 50 yards of my house and I'm offshore :(:(
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    It passes within 50 yards of my house and I'm offshore :(:(

Didn't you get your 50m badge at school?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    Plenty of snow in South Leeds today, not sure how much there is on the route on the other side of Leeds.

And it's still snowing.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Bright and clear in York at the moment. The wind isn't as strong as originally forecasted yet either
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Can't see the temperature staying low enough by race time for any snow to be an issue. It will effectively be just a cold and wet race at worst. It was a really good race last year from memory. Hopefully it will remain that way but there's a risk riders will be more conservative once they work out how tough the race is.
  • bobmcstuff
    The weather is utterly foul this morning! Should be good ;)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It was snowing round Beverley this morning at 7.00 then it was nice and sunny. It's now 4 degrees and pissing down. I might have to watch it from the bedroom window rather than walking to the end of the street to see it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Today's stage genuinely goes through villages called Bedlam, Burnt Yates and Glasshouses
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    outstanding irony.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Today's stage genuinely goes through villages called Bedlam, Burnt Yates and Glasshouses

:lol: Yorkshire is great!
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    I'll be between North Duffield and the A19 on a fast stretch of road just after the sprint.
    Bit nippy but the sun pops out now and again. Wind will be in their faces all day though.

It'll be reyt ;)