Liege Bastogne Liege 2016 ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    For all the talk of Sky being poor at the Monuments, they've come 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The_Boy wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    Well that was a shoot race

FTFY

Meh, I quite like attritional races, but the last 7km or so was rubbish. As was the winner.

Hey what's wrong with Wout?

Really not a Sky fan, though I likely wouldn't have cheered for any of the front 4.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

FTFY

Meh, I quite like attritional races, but the last 7km or so was rubbish. As was the winner.

Really not a Sky fan, though I likely wouldn't have cheered for any of the front 4.

Fair dos. Out of that front 4 he was the one who had the most 'underdog' status so I was cheering for him.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    For all the talk of Sky being poor at the Monuments, they've come 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year

Don't they now have the same amount of Monuments as Etixx have in the last 4 years?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Movistar, what was that?!?!?

Valverde on a rare off day? Rest of team seemed at a loss, apart from Betancur who defied the pisstakers and rode like a boss

Yeah I thought people were being a little unfair to the guy.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,705
    This.........er monument seems to get poorer and poorer with each passing year.
    Instead of squashing in a last 5km climb, they should be packing the mid section and taking a couple of later ones out.
    If any bunch should realise this, it should be the Belgians.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I know it's all about "tradition", but over the past few years Strade Bianchi and even the Omloop in February seem to be ahead, in terms of quality of the race and spectacle.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

FTFY

Fair dos. Out of that front 4 he was the one who had the most 'underdog' status so I was cheering for him.

I admit I like Orica even less, but seem to have a soft spot for Albasini.

So it was a pretty awkward sprint for me to watch really.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    This.........er monument seems to get poorer and poorer with each passing year.
    Instead of squashing in a last 5km climb, they should be packing the mid section and taking a couple of later ones out.
    If any bunch should realise this, it should be the Belgians.

Yeah, I like the finish on the Mur in FW, but we only really need one uphill sprint. The new climb was nice, and I guess it did spark the race up, but this a race that (to me) should have the difficulty squeezed into the middle rather than the end. And i say this as someone who rates it higher than most.
  • The_Boy
    All the monuments this year have been won by first timers though, right?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The_Boy wrote:

We calling a world champ a first timer?
  • blazing_saddles
    The Clinic's favourite troll is pleased to announce the grand opening of his latest Sky thread.
  • bobmcstuff
    The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

FTFY

I admit I like Orica even less, but seem to have a soft spot for Albasini.

So it was a pretty awkward sprint for me to watch really.

What's wrong with Orica?

I quite wanted Albasini to win just because of the work he's done in some of the other races. He put in a hell of a ride last week.
  • rick_chasey
    The Clinic's favourite troll is pleased to announce the grand opening of his latest Sky thread.

Is that how it works? Sky win a big race, start a new thread?
  • rick_chasey
    In more interesting news, my tactics as the virtual DS were snubbed universally.

Seems the right strategy was to make sure you've got a decent #2 rider who can commit fully to the brutal penultimate climb.

The favourites will be too busy shadowing each other to chase it down.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:

We calling a world champ a first timer?

Unless he had won a monument before, yes.
  • The_Boy

I *think* if someone who doesn't have a thread wins a race, then you start a new thread.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Or if they don't win, open one in pro racing saying how rubbish they are.
  • The_Boy
    bobmcstuff wrote:

What's wrong with Orica?

Meh. If they were a person, they would be a barman called Damian who insists that everyone calls them by the nickname they have chosen for themselves. And it would be a shit nickname like The Damolition.

Plus they would drink lager tops, but annoy the hell out of everyone by insisting it be a lager bottoms.
  • bobmcstuff
    The_Boy wrote:

I *think* if someone who doesn't have a thread wins a race, then you start a new thread.

"[Rider] has never won [race/stage/race this big/race this long] before. The only explanation is that they must be doping".
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The_Boy wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

What's wrong with Orica?

Meh. If they were a person, they would be a barman called Damian who insists that everyone calls them by the nickname they have chosen for themselves. And it would be a shoot nickname like The Damolition.

Plus they would drink lager tops, but annoy the hell out of everyone by insisting it be a lager bottoms.

:lol::lol:

So at what point do I need to start watching, didn't plan the day well....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:

10km from the end at the most.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

10km from the end at the most.

This. You can enjoy the scenery when they hit Liege*, see the new climb then drift off at the end cos you know what happens.

*I appreciate I may be in a minority here.
  • blazing_saddles
    Awful conditions, yet 154 riders make it to the finish.
    Something is not right.
  • RichN95.
    I saw someone on twitter mention that of the final four Poels was the only one to take his gloves off which makes it easier to sprint.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Marginal gains dahnt make nah difference brew [/tucker]
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    I saw someone on twitter mention that of the final four Poels was the only one to take his gloves off which makes it easier to sprint.

Never heard that before. I've never had any probs sprinting in gloves.

Makes you feel faster, definitely. Nothing worse than hot hands on a bike.
  • rick_chasey
    Something is not right.

Whaddya mean?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Something is not right.

Whaddya mean?

That it's to easy I assume? It's just a six hour procession.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Someone check on RR. She's been on the wine already.

Rude!!