Liege Bastogne Liege 2016 ***SPOILERS***

14567810»

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    The last couple of climbs look pretty nasty. So just make it 300km and use the extra for a crit loop round them a few times.

they are 100-200 vertical meters climbs, more for Sagan than for Quintana

Well to be honest, I can't think of many one-dayers with an HC finish climb, and even fewer in Belgium!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,262
    The last couple of climbs look pretty nasty. So just make it 300km and use the extra for a crit loop round them a few times.

they are 100-200 vertical meters climbs, more for Sagan than for Quintana

Well to be honest, I can't think of many one-dayers with an HC finish climb, and even fewer in Belgium!

If you look at the Tour of Lombardy, there are climbs with 500-600 vertical meters, which are proper climbers stuff... if you want a climbers classic you nee the geography and maybe the Ardennes were good for the 1970s, but these days they are no longer a threat to anyone in the peloton... it's down to who is in form and focussed on the day, rather than the best climber
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Has it not ever been thus?

Plus Woot Poels is hardly a bad climber...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    I think DDRaver's point 2 on the previous page is one of the key problems with World Tour races in general. With regards to L-B-L maybe the solution is fewer hills together with a longer flat run in to the finish so that anyone who wants to avoid a bunch sprint of some sort has to break it up earlier.