Liege Bastogne Liege 2016 ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    If i was the DS I'd be subtly mentioning to a few other DSs that what we need to do is rip it up from the start. Teams that really only have 1 option so I'd be sidling up to Sky (??), EQS (Martin), BMC (Porte) and perhaps Cannondale (just because they re good at this stuff) and suggesting that we send a few riders off on suicide attacks from early on, thereby forcing Movistar to chase but keeping 1 or 2 riders each to help our men in the finale.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    TheBigBean wrote:
    But if you can get three riders into the break you're pretty well set unless two are Schlecks. No team will want to let that go.

Fair. I guess you need to throw caution to the wind early on and commit hard to an early break to try and unsettle Movistar.

I do think throwing your marshals and generals (to use a Stratego term) in the mix much earlier in the race is your best bet if you want victory.

You've lost if you take Valverde to the line anyway, so roll the dice.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I'll put on my DS hat, as opposed to "What as a fan I'd like to see" (Long range attacks on la Redoute just don't happen)
    In itself it's not a winning move, but if you have the right second string rider you can break the race up a lot. I'm thinking particularly of someone like Froome.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I'll put on my DS hat, as opposed to "What as a fan I'd like to see" (Long range attacks on la Redoute just don't happen)
    In itself it's not a winning move, but if you have the right second string rider you can break the race up a lot. I'm thinking particularly of someone like Froome.

contador did a good job of that back in, I think, 2012
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    tumblr_o617dg4dCj1ropreyo1_1280.png
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    I know I'm a bit of a fan boy, but I've got a feeling Qhubeka could make something of this. Wouldn't go as far as putting money on any of them, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't have someone in the break and if they didn't liven the race up near the end. They've got a decent range of cards to play without any of them being marked out of the race. They'll try and fly under the radar, and if the big boys are watching each other...

Oh come on, let a man dream.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    RichN95 wrote:

contador did a good job of that back in, I think, 2012

if I was Sky's DS I'd be telling Froome his job is to make a massive nuisance of himself all the way back from Bastogne....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    Alaphilippe's got this.

In what scenario?

Since coming with Valverde to the line won't work.

He's easily capable of getting the better of Valverde in a small group sprint on the flat. Valverde has him covered on a steep finish but it's pretty even on the flat.

But the main scenario is where a group of favourites are within the last km and attack and counter attack each other. They'll obviously all be looking at Valverde and we know that he's willing to lose the race rather than pull others to the line.

Just think it might be Alaphilppe's year.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Milton50 wrote:

But the main scenario is where a group of favourites are within the last km and attack and counter attack each other. They'll obviously all be looking at Valverde and we know that he's willing to lose the race rather than pull others to the line.

Yes Valverde has a huge amount of podiums in Monuments, worlds and other classics, the only one he tends to win if he is there at the finish is Fleche Wallone where there isn't the same issue of people clipping off and others looking at eachother.

That said his record in LBL is far better than the other big one day races aside from FW but even there if you include void results he has 4 non winning podiums so it's not a case of if he makes the selection he wins.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Milton50 wrote:

Yes Valverde has a huge amount of podiums in Monuments, worlds and other classics, the only one he tends to win if he is there at the finish is Fleche Wallone where there isn't the same issue of people clipping off and others looking at eachother.

That said his record in LBL is far better than the other big one day races aside from FW but even there if you include void results he has 4 non winning podiums so it's not a case of if he makes the selection he wins.

It was last year.

It likely will be this year.

If I was the non-Movistar DS playing for victory or nothing, I wouldn't be waiting for a sprint.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    If I were a DS my instructions would be "Put him in the gutter".

This is probably why I'm not a DS, tbh.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    If I were a DS my instructions would be "Put him in the gutter".

This is probably why I'm not a DS, tbh.

If I were a DS my instructions would be "Put him in the morgue".

This is probably why I'm serving a prison sentence, tbh.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    No other suggestions?

If you're orica DS do you just stick Gerrans on Valverde's wheel like a shadow?

What does JRod try?

And Dan Martin?

How would you lot use Thomas & Froome?

Come on guys - this is the only Ardenne race that plays out tactically and it doesn't rely on luck to decide a rider's fate.
  • rick_chasey
    Am I the only one who plays procycling manager?
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Orica - Try to keep Gerrans in for the sprint
    Katusha / JRod - Attack about 1k out. Almost worked for Moreno last year...
    Sky - Froome on (or before) la Redoute, aiming to have 1-2 others with him a la Vino
    EQS - Martin on the new climb 3k out, Alaphilippe to go 1-2-1 with Valverde at the end
  • rick_chasey
    Sun Dodger wrote:
    Katusha / JRod - Attack about 1k out. Almost worked for Moreno last year...

You wonder if Moreno will do that on behalf of Valverde on Sunday!!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The new climb looks a bit of a beast, tbh.

If you want to beat Valverde you need two puncheurs, at least. One to go early and make him chase, one to sit on him and go once he pulls the first back. Of course, this assumes he has to do the work himself, which is unlikely.

DData will put Tekkers or Kudus in the break, with the other + Cummings to sit on Valverde.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No other suggestions?

What does JRod try?

And Dan Martin?

Come on guys - this is the only Ardenne race that plays out tactically and it doesn't rely on luck to decide a rider's fate.

Thomas just for control. Froome to go early. Poels for the real attack.
  • rick_chasey

If you want to beat Valverde you need two puncheurs, at least. One to go early and make him chase, one to sit on him and go once he pulls the first back. Of course, this assumes he has to do the work himself, which is unlikely.

DData will put Tekkers or Kudus in the break, with the other + Cummings to sit on Valverde.

Cummings is too big for this race, surely?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    EQS to do the same as FW. Martin to attack, Alaphillipe to mark Valverde.

It's the right move tactically, and both riders have more chance on this parcours (weather permitting) than at Fleche.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Cummings is too big for this race, surely?

Probably, but he's their best bet for a last minute attack - decent uphill and a quick finisher with it. If Gerrans is a contender...
  • RichN95.
    No other suggestions?

What does JRod try?

And Dan Martin?

I'd have Thomas and Kwiatowski wait for the finale. If they both get there Thomas does the suicide sprint, Kwiatkowski the money sprint.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    No other suggestions?

What does JRod try?

And Dan Martin?

I'd have Thomas and Kwiatowski wait for the finale. If they both get there Thomas does the suicide sprint, Kwiatkowski the money sprint.

Kwiatkowski didn't look like he enjoyed Amstel Gold much though.

Froome is probably the real dark horse, nobody has seen him on a bike for ages. No idea what his form is like.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    No other suggestions?

What does JRod try?

And Dan Martin?

Kwiatkowski didn't look like he enjoyed Amstel Gold much though.

Froome is probably the real dark horse, nobody has seen him on a bike for ages. No idea what his form is like.
    Of course these are ideal scenarios assuming all on good form. They'll probably all end up in a heap like Paris-Roubaix
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Er... Is Thomas even riding?
    Even without him, Sky are throwing a strong team at this - as in, would they be putting Froome in unless he was putting out the numbers? I remember the excitement - and then massive disappointment - when Jan Ullrich rode LBL and was rubbish. It's unbecoming for a Tour winner to look second rate in a race like this.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    So, in conclusion Rick: Sky need to line it out into the foot of St Nicholas where Froome needs to go early in the big ring like Frank Vandenbrouke. Job done.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I assumed it was a prerequisite for anyone posting in pro race.
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    So, in conclusion Rick: Sky need to line it out into the foot of St Nicholas where Froome needs to go early in the big ring like Frank Vandenbrouke. Job done.

Haha, too much to ask for him to have the same grace on the bike too?
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I assumed it was a prerequisite for anyone posting in pro race.

I must admit to have lapsed for a few years, am I suspended?
  • rick_chasey
    I suspect Kiwa will be plenty better than his outing in Maastricht would suggest...