La primavera - Milan San Remo 2016 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    If he did it.

If it was just a sticky bottle or tows through the team cars it's a total non-event.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    My guess is that Demare's bottle a bit stickier that the regular sticky bottles and he got back to the bunch a bit fresher than he would have done without it. I doubt it was a full on Nibali effort. Sure he went up the Cipressa fast, but it's never done that quickly these days. The temporary removal of his Strava file demonstrates that the reaction to an alleged crime is often seen as more damning than the crime itself.

If he'd come in 50th alongside Matthews no-one would have batted an eyelid, but because he won riders said something. It's like in hockey, umpires make mistakes, but you tend to let them go unless they result in a goal.

We will never know. Demare will always be the winner, and the controversy will fade.

I just hope the French remember this episode next time one of their over-hyped darlings fails. Just because France don't win it doesn't mean others are cheating.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Chill your boots everyone. If he did it, you'll find out in a day or two. If he didn't, you won't.

Honestly, why get all crazy about something that's a pretty binary did/didn't? Life's too short.

££££

Apart from a couple of quid on a bet, does anyone here really have any stake in this?

Well yeah sponsors, prize money, bonuses etc.
  • Chill your boots everyone. If he did it, you'll find out in a day or two. If he didn't, you won't.

Honestly, why get all crazy about something that's a pretty binary did/didn't? Life's too short.

££££

Apart from a couple of quid on a bet, does anyone here really have any stake in this?

Well yeah sponsors, prize money, bonuses etc.

I meant people on here getting on their high horse about strava files and what have you.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    There once was a rider called Démare
    Who may (or may not) have held onto a car

etc
  • gweeds
    He grabbed on a bottle
    Went up on full throttle
    And now he may well quit Strav-a
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Gweeds wrote:
    He grabbed on a bottle
    Went up on full throttle
    And now he may well quit Strav-a
    People have won literary prizes for worse that than.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    I can feel a revival of an old thread coming on...
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    Much like FDJ's fortunes
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Joelsim wrote:
    This isn't about Sky.

It's only a matter of time....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Chill your boots everyone. If he did it, you'll find out in a day or two. If he didn't, you won't.

££££

Are you serious? You're on a cycling forum and surprised that people want to find out if the winner of Milan San Remo is disqualified?
  • Milton50 wrote:

££££

Are you serious? You're on a cycling forum and surprised that people want to find out if the winner of Milan San Remo is disqualified?

But you're going to find out, aren't you? It isn't going to be hushed up so you have to dig around to find out if he got disqualified or not. It's just manufactured outrage.

Edit: And if we're really at the stage of using sodding Strava as evidence in a World Tour race, taking it's quirks above the eyes of the commissaires and anybody on the climb in question then lets just give up and use Sector times instead of running a race.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • does not look stressed about to go on TV

9173_1160464893987448_7185022639858426504_n.jpg?oh=c68efd715b9c3c60353123cfc173f680&oe=57897E3A
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Just to make us all feel old, Demare is the first Monument winner born in the 1990s

:cry::cry::cry:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    Jesus - born the year I started Uni.....

*walks outside, considers career best 3rd place in regional MTB race 1992, kills himself*
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Gweeds wrote:

*walks outside, considers career best 3rd place in regional MTB race 1992, kills himself*

Pffft. I was sitting in class last week as a classmate pondered buying some vintage games on eBay. Another classmate listed what games were included in the bundle and misread FIFA 98 as FIFA 96. I pointed out their wasn't a world cup in 96. Her reply?

"How should I know? I wasn't even born."
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Is this you??

simpsons-season-2-1-bart-gets-an-f-repeats-4th-grade-old-review-episode-guide-list.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    The_Boy wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Pffft. I was sitting in class last week as a classmate pondered buying some vintage games on eBay. Another classmate listed what games were included in the bundle and misread FIFA 98 as FIFA 96. I pointed out their wasn't a world cup in 96. Her reply?

"How should I know? I wasn't even born."

:D:D:D
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:
    Is this you??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHBd6oLIFZdy_AeEZqh7FU9lAJ4kUAWv6dcPwx7HYwnyqmHlY1G-Ejqw

I switched course after first semester. I'm no longer the oldest by half a decade. Think I'm now about the median for the class.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross wrote:
    Once again the big favourites marked each other out of the race!
    On that point, I’d love to see a statistical analysis of the best ways to behave in the final kilometres of a race like this.

Gerald Ciolek in 2013 behaved the best of recent years, as demonstrated by Sagan not doing it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M38N0l0rMF0&list=PLryl7KYZ5kA5jj98uW-PfJ-luChsADt6D&index=62
  • ddraver wrote:
    Just to make us all feel old, Demare is the first Monument winner born in the 1990s

:cry::cry::cry:

Born the year before Davide Rebellin turned pro!

Also Rebellin was 4th at Milan San Remo in 1995, the last time a Frenchman won and was 21st this year!

Wonder how old he feels? :D
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    But you're going to find out, aren't you? It isn't going to be hushed up so you have to dig around to find out if he got disqualified or not. It's just manufactured outrage.

Edit: And if we're really at the stage of using sodding Strava as evidence in a World Tour race, taking it's quirks above the eyes of the commissaires and anybody on the climb in question then lets just give up and use Sector times instead of running a race.

Ok, I don't really get what's making you so angry but I don't particularly want to get into an argument about it so we'll leave it there.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Well Demare's King of the Mountain on Strava for the Cipressa. Read into that what you will.

Looking at the stats, I think Visconti was hanging on to the other door.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Timoid. wrote:
    Well Demare's King of the Mountain on Strava for the Cipressa.

Probably a greater prize than Milan San Remo.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,562
    I assume all those complaining about a tow have reported that KOM segment... :roll:
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Photo on a friends Facebook page
    9A05DB7A-700A-48EC-8890-35E203C3D87A.png_zpsjfad5ylk.jpeg
  • gweeds
    moonshine wrote:
    Photo on a friends Facebook page
    9A05DB7A-700A-48EC-8890-35E203C3D87A.png_zpsjfad5ylk.jpeg

Already covered.

Not taken at MSR - wrong road, wrong bike and wrong helmet.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Ah, my bad! Move along! Nothing to see here! ;)
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    That this photo keeps resurfacing shows how desperate people are to stick something on Démare and FDJ. I suppose it’s just our natural appetite for scandal rather than anything more sinister, but it’s weird.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002