Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    dish_dash wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Poor gaviria... in tears...
    What happened? I thought he looked back and caught a wheel or something but wasn't sure. He took Sagan and one or two others out of it anyway even though they managed to dodge him.
    Took himself out on GVAs back wheel.

Débutante lost his concentration... that boy is going to be a force to reckon with in the future...

He's a force to be reckoned with already. £120 down the drain in a split second for me too. :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited March 2016
    Oooof, Ben swift called an "obscure Sprinter " by Sporza, ouch!

I'm getting nervous about the omens for French Victories this weekend :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605
    Where the hell did Swifty come from? He was hanging on the back at the top of the Poggio. Was hoping EBH could hang on, it's good to see him back with the best. Great ride by Matthews and a shame Gavaria crashed at the end, didn't think he had the distance in him yet. Once again the big favourites marked each other out of the race!
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    ddraver wrote:
    The usual Sky-baiting, probably.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Don't think you can say Bouhanni would have had it. From the overhead Demare was moving up on Bouhanni just before he had the problem. Reckon he would still have taken it.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Pross wrote:
    Once again the big favourites marked each other out of the race!
    On that point, I’d love to see a statistical analysis of the best ways to behave in the final kilometres of a race like this.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    dish_dash wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Poor gaviria... in tears...
    What happened? I thought he looked back and caught a wheel or something but wasn't sure. He took Sagan and one or two others out of it anyway even though they managed to dodge him.
    Took himself out on GVAs back wheel.
    Débutante lost his concentration... that boy is going to be a force to reckon with in the future...
    Yeah, Boasson Hagen and van Avermaet were easing off and drifting towards the inside of the corner and Gaviria just kept on going straight. Crossed over his wheel and down he went, easily done after over 290km in your first monument I'm sure. Sagan and Cancellara won't be thanking him though.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Must admit, I thought Bouhanni had it before his gears slipped. Something will be punched later.

Assuming he didn't break his hand punching the bars like that.

Needs to take lessons from the Russian coach at the recent track WCs.
  • 9554_1159617434072194_4764525919497773677_n.png?oh=eff9ac2811ad37f5ce71ff04fc95c4d1&oe=5797D993
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    smithy21 wrote:
    Don't think you can say Bouhanni would have had it. From the overhead Demare was moving up on Bouhanni just before he had the problem. Reckon he would still have taken it.
    I haven't seen it but 100 percent. Demare always beats Bouhani when it really counts.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Joelsim wrote:
    I'm totally gutted.

Did you lose a £1?

edit: Ouchee! Just saw it was £120

Crazy man
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Ben Swift was off the back on the descent of the Poggio after Mühlberger messed up on the bend where Ciolek, Gilbert, Stybar & Kwiatowski crashed last year. Roux actually ran into the back of Swift and went down.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    Ben Swift was off the back on the descent of the Poggio after Mühlberger messed up on the bend where Ciolek, Gilbert, Stybar & Kwiatowski crashed last year. Roux actually ran into the back of Swift and went down.
    thats why i was shocked to see him contest the sprint
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,820
    Just caught up after the rugby. I should have skipped at least the first hour.
    I suppose folks will say that the less than stellar top ten points to the greatness of the race.
    Traffic crash issues and a distinct lack of attacking on the Poggio, never mind the Cipressa,
    leaves me scratching my head as to why.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    I'm totally gutted.

Did you lose a £1?

edit: Ouchee! Just saw it was £120

Crazy man

I lost £5 in total, but £120 potential winnings and the opportunity for a further £2090 more
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Tg9LPfO.gif
    Great job staying upright there by Sagan and Canc.
  • ddraver
    Sagan looks like a scared cat! insane relfex...
    - @ddraver
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    ddraver wrote:
    Flipping heck, Heinrich Haussler was riding...
    I out an E/W on Haussler, eddy the boss and swift, was that defy swift in that little crash after poggio? if so would have been very close for the win had that not happened but then Demare has crashed earlier too
  • you have to look at Demarres positioning from a long way back - I wasn't sure if it was him or Vichot ( or Roux) but whoever it was it was textbook on the first bit of the decent of the P and shows some depths in numbers. Demarre rode it like a real contender (who has a sprint) rather than a pure sprinter

For some reason I was thinking don't let Kristoff win but I have no idea why - some sub concious rumblings based on an unknown dissatisfaction with predictability >??
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Just realised I put an ante-post patent at the start of the year which included Alaphillipe to win L-B-L, Demare to win Roubaix and Bouhanni for today.

I've backed Demare a fair bit over the years and he only goes and wins the wrong race for me.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Woah. Doing that for MSR? Dangerous game.

The tradition for watching MSR is as follows.

Fall asleep and wake up when they hit the cipressa. Watch the sprinters carefully on the overhead and see how far they fall back.

When they hit the Poggio you're up on your feet, inches from your big flatscreen HD TV shouting all the names who are falling off the back, making lots of "ooooo" sounds as you see riders begin to creak and crack.

The inevitable attack happens and you start cheering or shouting, and usually fairly quickly they hit the descent.

At that point your nose is almost on the screen as you try to pick out who's doing what on the descent.

By the time they reach the bottom you're jumping around/ hands on the back of your head, and you watch the sprint by shouting the name of the first to commit, followed by repeating the name of the guy coming up fastest, rising louder with each repeat.

They cross the line, you shout their name to your bemused and possibly irritated other half and go "right, dinner" and toddle off to the kitchen.

Can't do that in the pub mate.

It was actually really fun watching it with other people who were also shouting at the screen - definitely recommended.
  • ddraver
    For some reason I was thinking don't let Kristoff win but I have no idea why - some sub concious rumblings based on an unknown dissatisfaction with predictability >??

Anyone but Bouhanni (or Valverde but he wasnt going to win).

You have to give it to FdJ, instead of whining about how unfair the world is they ve stepped up this year and it's working
    - @ddraver
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I suppose folks will say that the less than stellar top ten points to the greatness of the race.
    Traffic crash issues and a distinct lack of attacking on the Poggio, never mind the Cipressa,

Yep. Can't work out why Nibs left his move so late.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    ddraver wrote:

Don't you dare speak ill of Michel Wuyts.
  • joelsim
    RonB wrote:

Yep. Can't work out why Nibs left his move so late.

Because he's nowhere near the rider he was a couple of years ago (for whatever reason).
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    ddraver wrote:

The Sporza duo was completely lost today. It took them minutes to notice that Kwiatkowski was overtaken.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,820
    arnuf wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

The Sporza duo was completely lost today. It took them minutes to notice that Kwiatkowski was overtaken.

They were probably day dreaming about Wednesday, when the proper racing season starts.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    ddraver wrote:
    Flipping heck, Heinrich Haussler was riding...
    I out an E/W on Haussler, eddy the boss and swift, was that defy swift in that little crash after poggio? if so would have been very close for the win had that not happened but then Demare has crashed earlier too

It was Puccio. Still a terrific ride from Swift though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    ddraver wrote:
    Sagan looks like a scared cat! insane relfex...

Day in the life of a London commuter ;).
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Thank god for the panache of Team Sky eh? No one else wanted to make anything happen.

I always find this race odd. Kwiatkowski had a go, if a few others of the likes of Cancellara, Sagan, Stybar went with him, they'd have a great chance. Better than waiting for a sprint anyway.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago