La primavera - Milan San Remo 2016 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    The_Boy wrote:
    Demare making a statement at 1730 this afternoon apparently. I gather too that the commissaires have investigated and will be taking no further action due to lack of evidence.

Fwiw, I've had a quick scootch at the part of the race in question and Demare appears to get away from the crash ahead of Kenyuck and then make it back to the peloton ahead of him by a similar sort of margin. Quite prepared to believe that he took a cheeky tow , mind, but the 80km/h touted by the renowned champion for truth Gazetta dello Sport seems a little far fetched.

It appears that immediately after the finish, a number of riders reported that Demare had got a row at warp speed up the Cipressa. Capecchi and Tosatto were just two who've been quoted, but there were plenty others, apparently

Apparently?

Well that confirms it then! Let's hang draw and quarter the scoundrel!!!
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    ademort wrote:
    I think its in the winners best interest and the interest of the team and sponsors that Demare makes all his computer information available for inspection in a similar way that SKY have done for Froome in the past.
    Demare uploads his races to Strava. He got the KOM for the last mile segment of the Cipressa (seven seconds faster than Visconti who also posts to Strava). But now he's deleted the files.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    If he uploaded it then any claim that he lost his computer will seem odd....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    I think its in the winners best interest and the interest of the team and sponsors that Demare makes all his computer information available for inspection in a similar way that SKY have done for Froome in the past.
    Demare uploads his races to Strava. He got the KOM for the last mile segment of the Cipressa (seven seconds faster than Visconti who also posts to Strava). But now he's deleted the files.
    So Visconti only lost 7 seconds over the course of a mile to someone traveling at 80 kph? That's some impressive riding from Visconti.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    DeadCalm wrote:
    So Visconti only lost 7 seconds over the course of a mile to someone traveling at 80 kph? That's some impressive riding from Visconti.
    Six riders swear he got into the Mavic car.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    ademort wrote:

Oooh. The 'towgate' saga just got more interesting.

Personally I find it amazing that considering all of the cameras focusing on the race that there is no footage of the incident at all.
  • DeadCalm
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ademort wrote:

Oooh. The 'towgate' saga just got more interesting.

Personally I find it amazing that considering all of the cameras focusing on the race that there is no footage of the incident at all.
    Indeed. But that's no reason to call off a witch hunt.
    Team My Man 2022:

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    What we need is his time up the Cipressa, not a portion of it.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Milton50 wrote:

If you mean TV cameras then it's not at all amazing. Why would TV cameras be hanging back to film Demare on the deck when the race is up front?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • DeadCalm
    phil s wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

If you mean TV cameras then it's not at all amazing. Why would TV cameras be hanging back to film Demare on the deck when the race is up front?
    Anyone who has been to any major race over the last few years knows that there will have been people filming on camera phones virtually all the way up the Cipressa. Where is the footage?
    Team My Man 2022:

• RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Even that would be inconclusive. What you need is the data file with the speeds. Either there is an unnatural spike in speed for a few seconds or there isn't.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    phil s wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

It's Milan San Remo. There are cameras constantly at the back on the Cipressa and Poggio to see which sprinters are off the back.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    If he got towed for more than a micro-second, there will assuredly be footage somewhere (at least of the grainy mobile-phone variety). Now that this story has hit the news, I’m sure it will come out.
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Even that would be inconclusive. What you need is the data file with the speeds. Either there is an unnatural spike in speed for a few seconds or there isn't.
    According to my Garmin, my maximum speed was 130 kph for a few seconds.

It wasn't.
    Team My Man 2022:

• LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Tbh I don't really give a monkeys about the tow.

What I do find amazing is the French on twitter going bezerk on how there's no proof we can't go around accusing and judging without the proof.

197% this sentiment will be forgotten about half way up the the first mountain in the tour.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • joelsim
    What I've ascertained so far:

He was with Matthews and a couple of Boras about 1 minute behind before the Cipressa after his crash.

He was 17" quicker than the peloton up a 1.7km section of the Cipressa.

Where did he make up the other 43" or so?

I'm tempted to put a tenner on him winning the Tour given FDJ's new TTT ability, chances of bonus points in the sprint and his stunning JaJa-like transformation in his climbing ability.
  • joelsim
    LeePaton wrote:

What I do find amazing is the French on twitter going bezerk on how there's no proof we can't go around accusing and judging without the proof.

197% this sentiment will be forgotten about half way up the the first mountain in the tour.

So true!
  • DeadCalm
    Joelsim wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:

So true!

Lots of hypocrisy over this. Not you. You are consistent in your willingness to believe the worst. How different the reaction on this forum would be if it was a Brit accused of the same though.
    Team My Man 2022:

• I honestly don't care all that much, especially if he was caught out by a crash
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2016
    Joelsim wrote:
    Here you go (no idea about the validity of this)

Edit: He's restored his file to Strava. There's nothing alarming about it that I can see.

CeAEnn7WIAE0u54.jpg
  • DeadCalm
    But he was doing 80 kph? We know this for a fact. Apparently.
    Team My Man 2022:

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,953
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Lots of hypocrisy over this. .

Who from?
    Seems that the forum is pretty much talking it's customary line with regard to avoid accusation without evidence.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,836
    I honestly don't care all that much, especially if he was caught out by a crash

I do, I had Bouhani each way...!
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Edit: He's restored his file to Strava. There's nothing alarming about it that I can see.

CeAEnn7WIAE0u54.jpg

To be strict about this, strava is very easily to fix/change, so I wouldn't count it as admissible evidence....
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

CeAEnn7WIAE0u54.jpg

Can you check his top speed compared to the others? 52kph I gather but I'm not on Strava. How long for this burst? Again compared to others. (52kph is about as fast as I can go downhill)

Is there something in this that for 30 seconds his speed increased substantially? Can this be found out?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:

Who from?
    Seems that the forum is pretty much talking it's customary line with regard to avoid accusation without evidence.
    Absolutely not. There hasn't been one single post sceptical about the suggestion that he took a tow that I have seen. Maybe I have missed the odd one but I don't think so. In any event, the general consensus seems to have been that he must be guilty.
    Team My Man 2022:

• RichN95.
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Who from?
    Absolutely not. There hasn't been one single post sceptical about the suggestion that he took a tow that I have seen. Maybe I have missed the odd one but I don't think so. In any event, the general consensus seems to have been that he must be guilty.
    No-one has said he must be guilty. But likewise, if several independent eye-witnesses from within the peloton say he did something wrong, I'm not going to dismiss them either.
  • DeadCalm
    So, without looking back, I seem to recall that there were respected posters on here complaining about how slowly the bunch were riding up the cipressa. Demare, who was desperately chasing back on managed to ride it a couple of seconds faster. And?
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Who from?
    No-one has said he must be guilty. But likewise, if several independent eye-witnesses from within the peloton say he did something wrong, I'm not going to dismiss them either.
    You would if it was Geraint (can't stay upright on a bike) Thomas though.
    Team My Man 2022:

• rick_chasey
    200_s.gif