Paris-Nice 2016 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    Hmmmm.

Think that might be one that got away from Sky/Geraint.
    Looked like there were a couple of places where they could have put the knife in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    smithy21 wrote:
    Yep, too early. The one time he didn't have to worry about getting himself boxed in as well :D

:lol::lol::lol:
    Think that might be one that got away from Sky/Geraint.
    Looked like there were a couple of places where they could have put the knife in.

Agreed.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,828
    So, the dangerous course had no crashes, which is unusual for stage 1 of Paris-Nice.
    Better viewing than your average first stage.

Good that Demare is back to winning races.

Contador has brown teeth after that. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Any GC riders lose time today?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    So, the dangerous course had no crashes, which is unusual for stage 1 of Paris-Nice.
    Better viewing than your average first stage.

Good that Demare is back to winning races.

Contador has brown teeth after that. :)

Think they managed to fill the potholes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The_Boy wrote:

Frank Schleck was at 2:42 sadly.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    The_Boy wrote:
    Spilak, Talansky and Meintjes all at 3.37
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    Mechanism wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Frank Schleck was at 2:42 sadly.

Sorry, I said GC riders...

Boom, boom.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    [cheers for replies though - website wasn't updating too quick]
  • Balls. Also Bum.

Swifty :(
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Costa is leading Lampre in this race so Meintjes is probably going for a stage later on.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Talansky you say? Colour me stunned
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Boy done good - he needed that A sprinter without a win is just another rouleur
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    In previous years, Chav looked a bit pasty and soft: this year, I'd say he's looking a bit brownerer and leanerer...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Porte in better shape than people were expecting.
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    Now I understand :oops:
    Turned out nice again!
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Why was Gee looking round so much 1-2 k out? looked like he was more concerned to cover Contador than go for it himself? Did the plan change that Swift would go for it rather than Gee?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Why was Gee looking round so much 1-2 k out? looked like he was more concerned to cover Contador than go for it himself? Did the plan change that Swift would go for it rather than Gee?
    Maybe to see if some gaps had opened up, in which case he might have gone himself to try and claim some extra seconds.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Maybe to see if some gaps had opened up, in which case he might have gone himself to try and claim some extra seconds.

Checking to see if Roche had recovered from his 20m turn on the final hillock.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Why use Roche when you have Stannard and Rowe? Better to save his legs for the hillier days.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Standings after yestrday
    1. MATTHEWS M. OGE 04h 37' 30''
    2. DUMOULIN T. TGA 00' 03''
    3. BEVIN P. CPT 00' 04''
    4. IZAGUIRRE I. MOV 00' 08''
    5. THOMAS G. SKY 00' 08''

After a potentially brutal day - and with history dictating withdrawals - it is nice to note that as of 1000z there are no withdrawals from the race; hopefully all will make it to the sign-in and roll out at 11:55/12:05 local time

Stage 2 - Mardi 8 mars - 213,5 km (flat)
    Contres > Commentry

25314191360_5e1c9801cf_b.jpg

24979305854_32d752b23c_b.jpg

Looks almost nailed on for the sprinters - there is a 45 degree right hand turn about 500m from the line that has the potential to disrupt but even so
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Looks like a slight incline on the finish judging by that profile. Day for Kristoff maybe?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    looked pretty brutal for an opening stage of an early season race

172011_20160307PNC0005.jpg
  • imatfaal
    DL1987 wrote:
    Looks like a slight incline on the finish judging by that profile. Day for Kristoff maybe?

Not sure it is enough of a rise to make a difference

25517340641_d0408ccc19.jpg

13m in the last km
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Fair point, when you zoom in it doesn't look all that much.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Does that mean Commentry doesnt start until the stage has finished??
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • imatfaal
    inseine wrote:
    looked pretty brutal for an opening stage of an early season race

Yeah - jumping in at the deep end! I thought it was a great day's racing; looked as if sky might have tried to completely bust the race all open but slackened the pace slightly. If Richie P a/o Contador had missed that front group I think there would have been a longer effort over those last 25km to keep hammer down
  • Sky could have done more damage in the last 25K if they wanted, they had the number up there.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    But given who was in the front group, they would have chiefly damaged their own muscles for the rest of the race.

For a while it was doubtful whether Porte had made the front group. A helicopter shot eventually found him in the right group but seemingly abandoned by BMC.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    Sky could have done more damage in the last 25K if they wanted, they had the number up there.

I was only half watching but it very much looked like they tried with Rowe etc and it didn't work.