Cycling & weight training

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
I'm interested to know if anyone on here combines their cycling with weight and conditioning training. I'm looking for a programme that might be effective for doing both.

I imagine that training with relatively heavy weights is not ideal for cyclists as you don't want to build up too much body mass - or not so that it impedes your power output. But, for the less serious cyclists out there, are any of you combining two wheels with lifting heavy things?

I've been doing kettlebells for a while now - quite happily swinging a 32kg and pressing a 24kg. I'm new to cycling and doing it for pleasure but would like some effective way to combine the training for both disciplines. Or are they perceived as mutually exclusive?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    weight training is widely used in pro teams, track etc., but i'm sure the program needs to be correct for the individual/objectives

fwiw...

i'm coming back from a bad injury, after a few months build up the physio has had me doing weights, i'm seeing a clear improvement in power since the weights began, both ftp and sprints, before starting the weights my performance had levelled out, now my weight is static, but power is going up, that works for me

the weights are heavy (for me at least), for instance sets of single-leg presses 95-100kg at the moment, still a long way to go to hit target, but i'm already c. 35kg up on what i could manage 3 months ago, aside from what the power meter says i can really feel the difference on the bike
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Eebijeebi
    Eebijeebi Posts: 91
    I think you have to split it. Anything above the core (in my non-professional opinion) is unlikely to bring any benefit to a road cyclist. Core and below cant hurt (see above bracket) and may help.
    Personally, from where I came from in sporting and younger life I just can't do pipe cleaner arms and no chest. Leg wise I also feel the need to work the muscles that peddling doesn't and in the end just do a complete leg workout anyway.
    So for me the gym stays and I live with some upper body muscle weight because I want to and because it helps with other aspects of life.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Best to give weights a try and see if there are any noticeable benefits. I generally stick to squats and lunges, some with weights and some without (Hindu squats). For me, my leg strength has improved and I can produce more power for longer. I don't have time to ride frequently or as much as I'd like to, so I can attribute the strength gains partly to weight training and focused turbo workouts. Upper body strength is important too, but I get by on core exercises for back, neck and shoulders and don't generally use weights.

If you search the internet thing, there are a number of weight training books and plans for cyclists.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thanks for the responses.
    Eebijeebi wrote:
    I think you have to split it...I live with some upper body muscle weight because I want to and because it helps with other aspects of life.

This was basically the conclusion I've been coming too as well.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I combine Rockclimbing and Cycling when I'm not broken and have done for a number of years. I find climbing has little impact on my cycling but if I do a long ride especially in winter the day before climbing my core is shot.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I do cycling and weights. I do a mix lower weight high rep and high weight low rep. I try not to do to much heavy stuff on the legs, but I don't find the extra few kg of upper body mass makes me that much slower.

I'm still managing 80% of the weight I did in my 20s when I was more seriously in to bodybuilding. Now I'm just trying not to look like a cyclist too much
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I do a lot of crossfit and some cycling. CF certainly helps with core work and do not get sore lower back when riding anymore and has helped for hills when trying to spin as CV fitness has gone up
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    If you're mostly focussing on strength buidling and conditioning - which kettlebells for example will do well - then personally I think that adds to an overall healthy body and see no reason to stop unless you are really looking to get every last second from your cycling.

Swinging a 2 pood and pressing a 1.5 is good work and great for overall strength without adding much bulk to most people. I do a bit of kettlebell work and also some sandbag training - squats, lunges, step ups, power cleans etc with a 35k sandbag. I've got a dodgy back so try to keep some flexibility and strength there without overdoing it.

Adding a significant amount of muscle bulk will have more of a negative impact on your cycling since you have to carry all the weight around.
  • diy
    60% of body building is diet, so even lifting heavy, you wont grow big unless your macros are right and you are fueling right.
  • diy
    I never really understood what kettle bells were about, they seem like a really easy way to injure your wrist. The only time I use them is when I'm doing parallel dips. its easier to hang a 20kg kettle bell off your belt than a 20kg plate.
  • Thigh_burn
    Singleton wrote:
    If you're mostly focussing on strength buidling and conditioning...then personally I think that adds to an overall healthy body and see no reason to stop unless you are really looking to get every last second from your cycling.

This is basically my thinking and approach to both KBs and cycling.
    diy wrote:
    I never really understood what kettle bells were about, they seem like a really easy way to injure your wrist.

For me they are about gaining strength and increasing mobility - I have no doubt there are many other ways to do the same. They're also brilliantly versatile: lots of different things you can do, they're mobile, don't need a gym etc etc.

Thankfully I've never been injured by one - beyond blisters on my hand. But I do see a highly qualified trainer, who I rate highly and I think has trained me well.

Edited for formatting
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Please stop posting links? Most of them are sh1t anyway...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    diy wrote:
    I never really understood what kettle bells were about, they seem like a really easy way to injure your wrist. The only time I use them is when I'm doing parallel dips. its easier to hang a 20kg kettle bell off your belt than a 20kg plate.

Have you tried doing something really straightforward like 3 x 50 swings with a decent sized kettlebell? There's no risk in damaging your wrist since it's a swinging motion.
    You start off wondering what all the fuss is about and then suddenly, you start to realize why they're so effective.

Just do it on a day when you don't need to do anything too strenuous for a few days afterwards.
  • relk
    relk Posts: 21
    Weight training is essential to get better at cycling. It depends on where you are in your season. There are periods when when you work at your legs 4x20 reps, periods for 4x5-6reps and periods with 2x50 reps.

Another things is core muscles. With a weak core, a lot of watts go missing into the weak body.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931
    relk wrote:
    Weight training is essential to get better at cycling. It depends on where you are in your season. There are periods when when you work at your legs 4x20 reps, periods for 4x5-6reps and periods with 2x50 reps.
    I see you're new round here.

I think you might find that rather more people will say that for most people riding a bike is rather more essential for getting better at cycling. There have been countless threads on this very subject over the years. Here's one, for instance: viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12969369&hilit=leg+strength

... and you'll see the same poster posting pointless links with no context.
  • imposter2.0
    relk wrote:

Another things is core muscles. With a weak core, a lot of watts go missing into the weak body.

Oh my goodness....
  • briantrumpet
    Imposter wrote:
    relk wrote:

Oh my goodness....
    Maybe there's some science here that no-one's ever heard...

And as regards climbing hills:
    relk wrote:
    The logic is that the older you get the more you need to work on muscle strength in the gym and less speedwork. Squats with weight ;)
  • imposter2.0
    I keep thinking about all those 'lost' watts, just wandering around in the core....it sounds terrible - something must be done for them....
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    relk wrote:

Except a skinny old bloke who struggles to lift a cup of tea will breeze past you after you've done your reps, stunned everyone with your POWER and run out of energy.

Weight training isn't essential for cycling, its useful for general life and preventing injury but even for a track sprinter cycling is a lot more essential for cycling.
  • gpgiant
    gpgiant Posts: 26
    One hour weight training session twice a week. Start off with 5 mins warm up on rower or cross-trainer, 20kg Kettlebell squats 15rep x 3 sets then straight into bodyweight (building up to 70kg) back-squats and deadlifts. Cool-down, job done, happy days :-)
  • briantrumpet
    For clarity: of course, if people enjoy doing weights and cycling, then that's all fine and dandy, and no-one's going to try to stop you doing that. What will bring robust argument are statements suggesting that for the average (non-pro) cyclist that doing weights will improve your cycling ability. Samples of 1 ("I do weights and my cycling is now awesome") aren't great evidence, compared with the many studies that suggest that the best way to get better on a bike is by riding a bike in a vaguely structured way.

In fairness to the OP, his question is not directly asking if doing weights will improve his cycling, but it wasn't going to be long before the "weights are essential for cycling" comments arrived. And right on cue....
  • briantrumpet
    From one of the countless previous threads:
    mmacavity wrote:
    Can you please stop random link posting without providing explanation(s) for the links. It's poor netiquette.

This I presume is the same Ed Burke (deceased) that was responsible for organising blood doping on the USA Olympic cycling team, and no doubt quotes Armstrong as an example of how one should strength train? :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    It's trolling Jim, but not as we know it....
  • diy
    I think some leg conditioning will help the avg. non pro-cyclist early on when there are still big gains to be had. Particularly the younger person <40 who's probably less bothered about bio indicator increases.
  • imposter2.0
    Almost any kind of fitness/conditioning work will be a benefit to someone in the early stages though...
  • diy
    Its more about the promotion of growth hormones.
  • briantrumpet
    Imposter wrote:
    Almost any kind of fitness/conditioning work will be a benefit to someone in the early stages though...
    Indeed, and the thing about doing it on a bike is that, of course, it is doing it in a bike-specific way. The trouble with all the "I did weights and it really helped" anecdotes is that the sample of 1 never compares the results with doing nothing at all, or doing it on a bike. For most people, who have limited amounts of time for training, efficient use of time is the key.

But I don't think I need to persuade you, somehow...