Future proofing? Best to go discs?

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If you are going to have just one road bike, I would get one with discs - or go one step further, get a cross bike, then you can fit 35mm tyres, so giving you even better braking performance, you can even fit studded tyres for snow & ice. If you find you can mix it with the fast boys, then you have an extra excuse for buying a rim braked race bike...

A disc brake cross bike is likely to be a bit of a beast unless you were spending a fortune on it and even then 35mm tyres will be a bit draggy.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    [quote="TimothyWThat's all well and good, but does rather ignore the demonstrable fact (eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHFSSXOSnxs)

Carbon rim vs. discs isn't really conclusive is it. Had they done this on an alloy rim or even better an Exalith 2 rim...[/quote]

The challenge rim brakes have compared to decent hydraulic disc brakes are they use cables which stretch in use making braking less controlled / predictable, the rims can be covered in all kinds of muck, there is a significant lack of power leading to less control and more effort to use. Most people can't afford expensive brakes and wheels which partially mitigate the problem. The great control, power and predictability of braking with hydraulic discs means you brake harder without locking up the wheels.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    decent aluminium brake track and something like Swisstop Flashpro or Koolstop Salmon.

That's EXACTLY what is used to have on my Focus Cayo - RS80 wheels and Koolstop Salmons. Whenever I jumped on that bike after an extended spell on the Volagi (mechanical discs) I'd nearly crack the saddle in two the first time I braked in the wet because so little happens during the first revolution of the wheel. I'm not a disc convert for no reason - I have PLENTY of experience on conventional rim brakes and make direct comparisons between the two. And I never went for crappy rim brake set-ups either.

The truth is that there are very few people who have tried disc brakes who think that they are in any way worse than rim brakes. Some people don't feel that they need them all the time (I'm one of those when I was riding in N Holland). Many people though say they wouldn't go back to rim brakes.

We've been having these debates for 5 years to my certain knowledge. And I also know that these days there's FAR more people who are arguing the same points as me. I confidently predict that discs will become the de facto brake for road bikes in the next 5 years. Rim brakes won't disappear - based on need but also because ROAD cycling is ultra-conservative. The pace of change in the MTB world is many many times faster because it's all about function: tubeless (yes), 1x (yes), lefties (yes), 26, 650, 29 (yes) - it goes on and on.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Fair enough MRS, I am not arguing against your experience (there are many disk converts in my club and I certainly respect their opinion) but my point was more about that GCN 'factual' test where they took some carbon rims and did some pseudo-scientific tests against a disk bike and concluded that disks were better than rims in the wet...well I reckon a decent alu rim and rim brake combo would be better as well so I am not sure what they think they proved, apart from 5 mins of entertainment.
  • meanredspider
    I always take GCN with a smile. I loved the one where they tried to cut the sausage on the hot disc - failed, then chopped it up in the spokes :shock: :D Proper Science :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Future proofing?
    Are you never buying another bike!!!

With an £800 budget you should avoid disk brakes like the plague.
    Spend £750 on a heavily discounted 2015 bike (not Tiagra though) and use the other £50 for 5800 calipers.

You cannot really 'future proof' anyway.
    Even if you got Hydraulic the bike would not have thru axles 8)
  • meanredspider
    Future proofing?
    Are you never buying another bike!!!

With an £800 budget you should avoid disk brakes like the plague.
    Spend £750 on a heavily discounted 2015 bike (not Tiagra though) and use the other £50 for 5800 calipers.

You cannot really 'future proof' anyway.
    Even if you got Hydraulic the bike would not have thru axles 8)

Yeah because the Boardman CX has no following at all. I started the "Owners" thread in Commuting Chat 5 years ago when I bought one to test the idea of disc brakes. That thread is still going strong (nearly 2600 posts later). BB7s are perfectly good mechanical disc brakes (I still use one on the back of my Volagi - not because I can't afford to replace it but because it's perfectly good). And there were some stupidly cheap 685 Shimano hydraulics on offer before Xmas - simple upgrade but ONLY if you have a disc frame. And I so wish my Jamis DIDN'T have TA.
  • Anonymous
    Following? The ZX Spectrum has one of those doesn't it?

I don't buy a bike to upgrade it. I buy a bike to ride it.

Upgrading is something you think about later, but its a different thought then to what it would be now.
  • meanredspider

Upgrading is something you think about later, but its a different thought then to what it would be now.

PMSL - this thread remind me of the threads also going 5-6 years ago that said iPads were a gimmick and would never catch on. Where are those people now? :wink:

As for upgrading, half the bikes sold come with wheels that people expect to upgrade. Same with saddles. Too funny. Half the threads on here would disappear (at a conservative estimate) if people didn't upgrade.

And what was your advice? Oh yeah - buy a bike and immediately upgrade the brakes..... Or did you forget you wrote that? :lol::lol::lol:
  • I have never got 10k out of a set of rims. I chew through brake pads weekly in the winter, I have done a rear Fulcrums 3 in 3000 winter miles. I hate getting covered in shit day in day out in the winter.

I am a bit crap at cycling so when I forget I have to clear the water off my rims before I slam in to the back of that car going downhill I never remember not to pull harder and thus end up locking the back and shitting my longs!

So I bought a fugly disc brake bike that takes guards and big tyres, its is great to ride in the winter. I like the hydro's so much I might cash in my chips and get this for the summer, a slightly less fugly disc bike.

I love the look of caliper rim braked race bikes, I love the practicality (for me) of hydro discs

Winter

GT-2015-10.jpg

Summer = Sorted :lol:

Focus-Izalco-Max-Disc-Red-2.jpg
  • Anonymous

PMSL - this thread remind me of the threads also going 5-6 years ago that said iPads were a gimmick and would never catch on. Where are those people now? :wink:

As for upgrading, half the bikes sold come with wheels that people expect to upgrade. Same with saddles. Too funny. Half the threads on here would disappear (at a conservative estimate) if people didn't upgrade.

And what was your advice? Oh yeah - buy a bike and immediately upgrade the brakes..... Or did you forget you wrote that? :lol::lol::lol:

None of those points are valid.

I am not anti iPads, disk brakes or tech generally. You know from my posts that I am not a hater.

You don't need to go back that far.
    Look at all the Garmin 1000 haters that have now bought one :lol:

Changing something from new is not upgrading, its changing spec :wink:
    Am all for changing wheels, tires, brake pads/calipers, saddles, stems, bars etc.

Groupsets and mechanical to Hydro means you should have just bought that in the first place rather than planned from new IMO.
  • meanredspider

None of those points are valid.

I am not anti iPads, disk brakes or tech generally. You know from my posts that I am not a hater.

You don't need to go back that far.
    Look at all the Garmin 1000 haters that have now bought one :lol:

Changing something from new is not upgrading, its changing spec :wink:
    Am all for changing wheels, tires, brake pads, saddles, stems, bars etc.

You've lost me altogether :D:wink:

Ha Garmin 1000. I bought one of the first ones - it was rubbish - sent it back and bought another one a year and a bit later (when Garmin had almost finished it) :wink:

The point, though, is unless you buy a disc frame, you're stuck with last century's tech. That's OK if you like the old stuff.
  • Anonymous
    You just buy another frame (bike) at the point you would upgrade.

Buy mech disc if its what you want it now, but no point in having it for 'future proofing' reasons only.
    It will not have thru axles, so maybe massively increasing stoping power on one side would not be that wise anyway.

Not sure DA 9010 direct mount is 'last century tech', but pretty sure that disc brakes that are out now will be defunct in a few years :wink:

The OP's last bike was a firkin hybrid if we are going to stick to the point.
  • meanredspider
    Ah yes but DA direct mount is still rubber blocks rubbing on your wheel - lipstick on a pig :wink:

Well, not everybody can afford to swap bikes regularly. And upgrading disc brakes is very easy. BB7s have been around for many many many years. TRP are making plenty of calipers. There will be plenty of adaptors as there have been in the MTB world. I've had my Volagi nearly 5 years - I'm still spoiled for choice for brakes - more now than when I bought it. I've only upgraded the front brake to HyRd. I could easily put hydro on it but I don't feel the need.
  • Anonymous
    I would love to know how many people who buy a bike saying "I can upgrade the groupset (or mech to hydraulic) later", actually do.

My money would be on very few, way less than half.

The OP's last bike was a heavy hybrid.
    He is a newbie to road bikes.
    Is he really going to love his Giant in X years time so much that he would fully Hydro it (without thru axles) rather than just buy a new bike?
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2016
    Ah yes but DA direct mount is still rubber blocks rubbing on your wheel - lipstick on a pig :wink:

Not heard that term before.
    Why are the rims/wheels pigs?

So you have tried them then?

Dissing state of the art road bike braking in favour of sh1tty mech discs :shock:
  • meanredspider
    Sure - but I'm confident enough that I'd rather have discs than rim brakes and these days there's very little to lose out by buying a cheaper disc frame versus the equivalent rim frame.
  • Anonymous
    edited January 2016
    Any disc? Even mechanical?

I would rather have 5800 than mechanical discs.
  • meanredspider

Not heard that term before.

So you have tried them then?

Dissing state of the art road bike braking in favour of sh1tty mech discs :shock:

I bet DA direct mount brakes aren't the same price as "sh1tty mech discs"

My point is that the principle of rubber blocks onto a wheel rim is a poor concept. You can design it as much as you like but a poor concept is a poor concept. I don't want to re-run all the reasons that mean that discs are the de facto braking system for just about every vehicle on the planet - but there's obviously something right about the concept. You can put lipstick on a pig but it will still be a pig.
  • meanredspider
    edited January 2016
    Any disc? Even mechanical?

I would rather have 5800 than mechanical discs.

I have mechanical discs on my Volagi. It's a high-quality carbon framed road bike. If I had any doubts about mech discs, I'd have upgraded it. I simply don't understand the dislike of mech discs. They are sooo much better than rim brakes. The big difference with hydro is that they are beautifully smooth and light. But the pads and the discs are identical. And there's absolutely no way that I'd choose rim brakes over discs - any discs.

I should add that the Volagi COULD take rim brakes. And that's the proof of the pudding - I could swap to rims in 20 minutes if I ever though for any reason in the last 5 years that they were better.
  • Anonymous
    The OP has £800. I am just advising him how that would be most wisely spent and trying to show him how silly his 'future proofing' concept is.

A lot of people just want discs at any cost though, and will not listen to reason.
  • meanredspider
    The OP has £800. I am just advising him how that would be most wisely spent and trying to show him how silly his 'future proofing' concept is.

A lot of people just want discs at any cost though, and will not listen to reason.

But we do go back to my first post. Forget future-proofing - buy discs anyway (not at ANY cost - but there doesn't need to be any cost)
  • Anonymous
    Mmmm let me think. DA rim or mech disc :lol:

Hydro disc for winter bike maybe.
  • meanredspider
    Mmmm let me think. DA rim or mech disc :lol:

Yup - but nobody is going to be making that choice. I expect you can buy a 685 set-up for the cost of DA direct mount - I'll go and look :wink:
  • Anonymous
    On an entry level frame (that was not designed for, at the very least, quadruple the stopping power) with no thru axles.
    Talk about lipstick on a pig :wink:

Disc brakes are the future of road bikes, but not now, and not for £800.
  • meanredspider
    On an entry level frame with no thru axles.

Disc brakes are the future of road bikes, but not now, and not for £800.

DA direct mount are about £200 for both ends (without brifters). Shimano 685 is £275 for brifters, hoses, oil and calipers.

Of course you won't get either on an £800 bike but you will get BB7 and they are very good. The same brakes that came with my Volagi (and I didn't pay £800 for that).

And I absolutely WOULDN'T put TA on ANY road bike.
  • Anonymous
    Well if the OP can suffer mech disc then maybe he should get the Giant.

He will never upgrade the brakes (you don't think he needs to anyway), but it would make a decent winter bike (far more likely an outcome) perhaps
  • Anonymous

And I absolutely WOULDN'T put DA on ANY road bike.

Nor would I, it would come with it as stock :wink:
  • meanredspider

And I absolutely WOULDN'T put DA on ANY road bike.

Nor would I, it would come with it as stock :wink:

I know - my Jamis has TA. Complete waste of time and a PITA. But at least I speak from proper first-hand experience and not from marketing blurb.
  • Anonymous
    Whats TA?