Show us your Supersix Evo's

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited February 2016
    Bristol Pete , what size are you fella ? I'm still tempted.... Wonder how long the deal will go on.

5'9 on a good day, but classic european body which is shorter in the leg, so height in long body, which could be a 54, but I am 56cm all day long. I learnt to disregard size charts after spending mucho £ over the years. 56 cm top tube, 160 head tube, 25mm conical - ideal, inline post on 73.5 seat tube and 73.0 head tube, 165 cranks will match my bike requirements over reckless size charts sure to give a rider back and neck ache. Will post images when built. Ordered some 3T Rotundo bars yesterday, going classic D shape on this baby.....
  • Nice butt !! Can just see it now :P
  • Iowned a Propel. The quickest 'free speed' bike I have ridden yet, but alas, I found the head tube and over front end stiffness other wordly and anything over 40 miles was hard going. But put it onto decent tarmac akin to French roads and that bike moves up, down and across. It was worth two cogs on the back when climbing compared to my Defy SL due to its stiffness and hence thinking the EVO a good investment.

Really? two cogs or two teeth.

Seems somewhat exaggerated?
  • bristolpete
    Iowned a Propel. The quickest 'free speed' bike I have ridden yet, but alas, I found the head tube and over front end stiffness other wordly and anything over 40 miles was hard going. But put it onto decent tarmac akin to French roads and that bike moves up, down and across. It was worth two cogs on the back when climbing compared to my Defy SL due to its stiffness and hence thinking the EVO a good investment.

Really? two cogs or two teeth.

Seems somewhat exaggerated?

Yeah that's a fact jack. When I built my propel I used the chain from my Defy and lost links as the stays so much shorter, thus stiffer. The BB on the propel is super stiff, as is the whole bike. I liked it but not really for me and I only paid £350 for the frame so was a worthwhile try out. Slightly too slack for my liking. Since 2008 after moving my alloy Merida on, I have bought and ridden some decent stuff. Some sort of order here -

1. Pinarello Dogma 65.1 - best 120 mile bike I have ridden, no idea why I sold it, but hey ho. Least fatiguing bike I have ridden.

2. Cervelo S3 2010 - stiffest, fastest, most brutal bike I have owned. Partner with carbon rails its a bike that made your bum talk. Responded to monster effort.

3. Specialized S-Works Tarmacs - best all round bike money can buy. Brilliant at everything. SL3 good, SL4 top bobbin, not tried an SL5. Ride it like Alberto to get it swinging on the climbs. Lighter than the Dogma overall too.

5. Briefly owned an Supersix evo hi-mod, but went small and hated it from the off. But, a very very very good bike and akin to the Tarmac, but seemed to respond to seated effort very well, hence looking forward to my new build which will wrap up unfinished business.

4. Giant Propel - huge BB area and stiffest head tube I have used yet, considering an 'aero bike'. The fastest free speed bike I have ever used and can see how this thing works in a group or a good Saturday morning run, saving energy.

5. Currently riding a Giant Defy ADV sl and a very very good bike, just lacks the snap I have seen before, though very capable and good on rough roads as very planted where as propel could skip about - hard to convey in words.

6. Most used bike in data terms and rapaid itself tenfold - Specialized Langster, hand built wheels, single speed 13 mile each way commute. Best. training. ever.

Others came and went but these are the bikes that spring to mind. Other stuff was winter bikes and so on. Worst bike ? Eddy Merckx emx3 - noodly BB and just did not deliver the goods. A real let down, but then rebranded average frame I would imagine.

I am however super excited about the new EVO build and not 'wanted' to build as bike as badly as this in a couple of years. Using my Ksyrium elites for now, ordered, 2 x mechs, shifters, stem, bars, seat post and praxis BB conversion kit. At the moment, saddle and brake calipers pending but an evo hi-mod on the road for £1150 all in and buyer lined up cash for my Defy so that'll recoup most of it. Speculate to accumulate eh ? :lol:
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Still setting the position. Down to a single 5mm spacer with a 110mm stem. I'll try it again without the spacer then go to a 120mm stem if I fancy a little more stretch.

So far so good.

20160123_150128_zpssyiss4cl.jpg
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I am however super excited about the new EVO build and not 'wanted' to build as bike as badly as this in a couple of years. Using my Ksyrium elites for now, ordered, 2 x mechs, shifters, stem, bars, seat post and praxis BB conversion kit. At the moment, saddle and brake calipers pending but an evo hi-mod on the road for £1150 all in and buyer lined up cash for my Defy so that'll recoup most of it. Speculate to accumulate eh ? :lol:

Sacrilege ! Why get rid of the best power transfer BB platform out there for a puny 24mm axle supporting Heath Robinson ad on.....
  • MikeBrew
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Still setting the position. Down to a single 5mm spacer with a 110mm stem. I'll try it again without the spacer then go to a 120mm stem if I fancy a little more stretch.

So far so good.

An old rule of thumb I remember being told, was that when riding on the hoods the top of the bar should visually line up with the front axle, sighted down through from the riders perspective. I rode a 54cm (not a Dale) for a while with a 130 stem. Using the above method the bars appeared ahead of the axle. With a shorter stem the position felt too cramped.
    Looking back(wonderful thing hindsight), the bike was way to small.
    The rear wheel would hop under big efforts out of the saddle , and I had to be uber precise with placing the front through tight corners taken at any speed, as it was so quick to slide out from under . It just wasn't as stable as the right size bike, I always felt that I had too much weight too far forward.
    Obviously, riding along staring down at your bars/front axle for any length of time is not recommended ! Best done on a turbo trainer with the front leveled by a wheel riser of some descript ,,,
  • bristolpete
    MikeBrew wrote:

Sacrilege ! Why get rid of the best power transfer BB platform out there for a puny 24mm axle supporting Heath Robinson ad on.....

Not really, never noticed a difference TBH and I like DA chainsets, despite the 24mm axle. Not a fan of other BB30 options aside from Rotor, which are too expensive at the minute.
  • bristolpete
    And both showing our age citing Heath Robinson, but don't forget despite doing a to b via d, his 'experiments/ideas/solutions' worked...!!!!! ;-)
  • MikeBrew
    Well everyone has their own preferred components. I guess I just find it slightly illogical (Captain) to take the lightest frameset out there and add an adapter, and a chainset that's heavier and less stiff than what you could get for the same money. Sram Red BB30 or FSA Slk-Light are the lightest sensible money options.
    I like the added heel clearance and minimalist look on short axle BB30 too. Still haven't succumbed to buying said bargain frameset, though I did get as far as adding it to basket, before chickening out at the check-out :roll:

Yeah you got me bang-to-rights on the showing my age thing ! :D
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Well everyone has their own preferred components. I guess I just find it slightly illogical (Captain) to take the lightest frameset out there and add an adapter, and a chainset that's heavier and less stiff than what you could get for the same money. Sram Red BB30 or FSA Slk-Light are the lightest sensible money options.
    I like the added heel clearance and minimalist look on short axle BB30 too. Still haven't succumbed to buying said bargain frameset, though I did get as far as adding it to basket, before chickening out at the check-out :roll:

Yeah you got me bang-to-rights on the showing my age thing ! :D

All of the pro's on 24mm Dura Ace cranks seem to do ok on them and a Praxis Works adapter isn't going to flex one iota and will be a lot less hassle, maintenance wise. As for the added weight, meh.
  • MikeBrew
    Well, as I said, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to components. Having ridden 'Dales with PF and BB 30, I'm a definite fan. And to be frank, the Pro's would do pretty well on whatever they rode, and mostly ride what they're paid to ride, rather than their personal preference... I'm not aware of any Pro's running Shimano cranks on Cannondales, but maybe there are.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I am sure, the pf30 and bb30 standards are brilliant if the frame bottom bracket have been machined to appropriate tolerances.My himod evo will need a new bottom bracket soon (second replacement) - another of my bikes with BB86, has three times the mileage in comparison to the evo and is on its original bottom bracket.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I don't thnk any of them do, as Cannondale manufacture their own cranks. But, I'd bet that nobody short of a 100kg, 2000W track monster is going to notice any appreciable stiffness difference between a BB30 set-up and 24mm Dura Ace cranks with a Praxis Works BB. Also, I repeat that the latter is much more likely to be less hassle in the long run.
  • MikeBrew
    letap73 wrote:
    I am sure, the pf30 and bb30 standards are brilliant if the frame bottom bracket have been machined to appropriate tolerances.My himod evo will need a new bottom bracket soon (second replacement) - another of my bikes with BB86, has three times the mileage in comparison to the evo and is on its original bottom bracket.

That's interesting, and I'm not sure why it should be so as the two standards use essentially the same mechanism to mount the bearings. Are the BB's in both bikes from the same manufacturer ?
  • Germcevoy wrote:

So far so good.

I hope you have a looooong expander bung in there.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The pf30 was introduced to address some of the issues with bb30, although it appears that it does not have it quite right, see as a typical example:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cannon ... 17533.html
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Germcevoy wrote:

So far so good.

I hope you have a looooong expander bung in there.

There plenty of length in it. I'll be chopping a few cm off quite soon once I'm sure as for is dialled in.
  • MikeBrew
    letap73 wrote:
    The pf30 was introduced to address some of the issues with bb30, although it appears that it does not have it quite right, see as a typical example:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cannon ... 17533.html

So, when you are having to replace your Evo BB is that due to the cups creaking in the frame, or are the bearings themselves wearing prematurely ? BTW, what year is your hi mod frame ?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Hi..

I have had a number of bikes now with BB30/PF30 and yes I have experienced issues with BB creaking across multiple bikes. The only bike with BB30 hasn't had an issue at all, was one that was fitted by local LBS (rather than a factory fit)

I also have a SuperSix Evo HM (2015) and have head creaking on that... although seems to have gone away after tightening up the BB.. fingers crossed.

All bikes with the original standard threaded BBs have never had any issues, especially if you fit (and forget) one of the Hope Tech BBs.

My SuperSix Evo HM (Racing Red 2015) has the fancy lightweight Cannondale chainset, so not something I'll be wanting to throw away and swap out for something else yet, but fitting an adapter and fitting something like a Red chainset in the future is definitely a possibility (partly down to cost of replacing the SISL2 crankset parts)

I don't think most people would notice any differences in stiffness with BB30/PF30, it more down to weight than anything else.
    Simon
  • bristolpete
    I think most of use are capable of removing the cranks without breaking the chain and servicing / regreasing a BB or press fit option when required. I realised when I pressed the buy it now option this frame may take a bit more TLC than others but at the money I paid, I am happy to do that. My research led me to Praxis after a cost effective option / alternative to Chris King, hence the purchase.
  • springtide9
    I think most of use are capable of removing the cranks without breaking the chain and servicing / regreasing a BB or press fit option when required. I realised when I pressed the buy it now option this frame may take a bit more TLC than others but at the money I paid, I am happy to do that. My research led me to Praxis after a cost effective option / alternative to Chris King, hence the purchase.

Looks like a great BB BPete, but this maybe worth a read:
    http://www.praxiscycles.com/wp-content/ ... -GUIDE.pdf

CANNONDALE
    SuperSix EVO -It is our understanding that this frame comes in 2
    versions. A version for mechanical cable routing, and one specifically
    for Di2 internal wiring. The Conversion BB mounts great in both.
    *However* if you have the Mechanical version and you’re trying to route
    Di2 inside, the inside of that frame is different and is closed off to the
    chainstay. Please call Cannondale.

2014/2015 SuperSix EVO - Some 2015 fames are now ‘custom BB30’
    which have a non-removable machined lip. This lip prevents BB
    installation. SO INSPECT YOUR SPECIFIC FRAME FIRST.
    Simon
  • bristolpete
    edited February 2016

CANNONDALE

Thanks for the heads up ! hope I do not have 'a lip'. If I do, I will have to go Rotor which will just delay a build. Thanks. I bought the Praxis from Sigma who advised several customers had done this with the frames they had sold and had good reviews and happy custom, so hoping my frame is the same, ergo lipless !
  • I think most of use are capable of removing the cranks without breaking the chain and servicing / regreasing a BB or press fit option when required. I realised when I pressed the buy it now option this frame may take a bit more TLC than others but at the money I paid, I am happy to do that. My research led me to Praxis after a cost effective option / alternative to Chris King, hence the purchase.

CANNONDALE

Thanks for the heads up ! I have no way to check as the frame has been delivered to Bristol and I am in Devon 'til next Tuesday. One can only but hope I do not have 'a lip'. If I do, I will have to go Rotor which will just delay a build. Thanks. I bought the Praxis from Sigma who advised several customers had done this with the frames they had sold and had good reviews and happy custom, so hoping my frame is the same, ergo lipless !
    After already ordering my praxis converter before reading this on their website I panicked a bit aswell. (I've got the same deal as yourself for the same frame from Paul's cycles) I checked the BB and there was no lip on mine.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    No lip on mine either so I'll be ordering the Praxis in a few weeks.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I havent had more problems with my supersix bb30 than my english threaded CAAD. Both become notchy/noisy when the bearing are due a change. Ive never bought a special bearing press either.
  • springtide9
    Calpol wrote:
    No lip on mine either so I'll be ordering the Praxis in a few weeks.

Thanks, this is worth knowing...

Spent a while looking earlier on the internet to see if its mentioned or not what version of the frame this lip appears on, and couldn't find anything.. apart from the 2016 model is BB30A (I think)
    Simon
  • bristolpete

CANNONDALE

Thanks for the heads up ! I have no way to check as the frame has been delivered to Bristol and I am in Devon 'til next Tuesday. One can only but hope I do not have 'a lip'. If I do, I will have to go Rotor which will just delay a build. Thanks. I bought the Praxis from Sigma who advised several customers had done this with the frames they had sold and had good reviews and happy custom, so hoping my frame is the same, ergo lipless !
    After already ordering my praxis converter before reading this on their website I panicked a bit aswell. (I've got the same deal as yourself for the same frame from Paul's cycles) I checked the BB and there was no lip on mine.

Good news. Here is hoping mine is lipless ;-)

Reminds me of a girl I once knew. Ahem.
  • MikeBrew
    Had a look at the Praxis website and it doesn't look like a bad product. Anyone getting one due to already owning 24mm cranks or simply being a dyed in the wool Shimano-phile, I can pretty much understand. Getting one based on what one reads on the internet about the perils of push fit is another thing.
    Tells of woe spread like wild fire online, whereas satisfied customers very seldom feel quite the same compulsion to put virtual pen to paper. So, just how many sublimely unconcerned PF pedal-ers there are per online problem is anybody's guess.
    Interestingly, Praxis make their own "Turn" crankset which utilises a 30mm axle, of all things ! Odd really, as you might have thought that a 24mm axled crankset was the perfect product to offer alongside their BB converter.
  • springtide9
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Had a look at the Praxis website and it doesn't look like a bad product. Anyone getting one due to already owning 24mm cranks or simply being a dyed in the wool Shimano-phile, I can pretty much understand. Getting one based on what one reads on the internet about the perils of push fit is another thing.
    Tells of woe spread like wild fire online, whereas satisfied customers very seldom feel quite the same compulsion to put virtual pen to paper. So, just how many sublimely unconcerned PF pedal-ers there are per online problem is anybody's guess.
    Interestingly, Praxis make their own "Turn" crankset which utilises a 30mm axle, of all things ! Odd really, as you might have thought that a 24mm axled crankset was the perfect product to offer alongside their BB converter.

@Mike

My two main bikes use BB/PF30.. my Cannondale Supersix Evo HM and my Planet X XLS cross. These are tails of personal experiences of PF/BB30, neither good.

My Cannondale started creaking after just two rides, although tightening the cranks seems to have temporary cured the creaking. Not the best start for a factory fitted £170 BB don't you think?
    I'm not sure what I will do when the BB gives up, as the bike came (standard) with the Cannondale SiSL2 Hollowgram chainsets (both compact and standard) which is obviously an expensive piece of kit to ditch.

My Planet X XLS cranks still creak despite tightening. Interestingly, the newer XLS frames now has a BSA threaded BB. The XLS has only done 1300 miles :-(
    I have never had any issues with threaded BB and they are a lot easier to service.
    Simon