My Man 2016

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I may be turning into deejay, with my late picks and reluctance to deviate from last year's list

Cav - All time top man
    Swifty - From where I'm (originally) from
    Tomekke - Have always, and will always, love him
    Valv - 'Cos he's everyone's favourite b*st*rd (after Diego Costa)
    Eddy Bos - Just an all round good guy
    Spartacus - One last tango from Northern Europe to the Middle East and into the sunset
    Styby - The future of the classics
    Nibbles - The only one I considered changing, but he is aiming at doing a very special thing this season (win the Giro, help Aru at the Tour then win the Olympics)
    G - The intro to the Cycling Podcast cements his position, if nothing else

Be careful when you play nuffle.
  • Some of you guys play as Barcelona on champ man, don't you?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Forgot about this this year! Several of my 2015 men have earned a place in the 2016 squad:

1. Fabian Cancellara
    2. Nairo Quintana
    3. Zdenek Stybar
    4. Luke Rowe
    5. Adam Yates
    6. Vincenzo Nibali
    7. Julian Alaphilippe
    8. Tiesj Benoot
    9. Esteban Chaves
  • joelsim
    Some of you guys play as Barcelona on champ man, don't you?

My man 2017

1. Quintana
    2. Froome
    3. Valverde
    4. Kristoff
    5. Kittel
    6. Sagan
    7. Greipel
    8. Stybar
    9. Ji

That should cover all bases, including the 'my man was on the front for 200km every day for 3 weeks'
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Joelsim wrote:
    Be careful when you play nuffle.
    My wife's problem with nuffle finished 3 weeks ago and I finished it last week somewhere 40 odd miles from San Francisco in Silicon Valley, Santa Clara where there is more money.
    The "Raiders Nation" now covers Frisco much better.
    For me the NFL will start again after the Vuelta and that helps me through the long winter evenings.

So to start thinking about "My Men"" in the middle of winter is a No No as the cyclo cross season is just about ending.
    Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is next week and the French & Italians started last week while some of the bigger teams have been training with the Australians as they have their annual fun runs,

So today Bob Jungels leads the final week training run over a 90 mile spin in Arabia.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • joelsim
    My man Gaviria is obviously back from injury.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Some of you guys play as Barcelona on champ man, don't you?

Ha. Curious to see what you make of my team...
  • joelsim
    My Superman Lopez :P
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    smithy21 wrote:
    2016 My Men

Steve Cummings- retained from last year. Increased his standing after the Tour stage win.

Rigoberto Uran- would love to see him get a GT victory but probably not at the top top level in anything but his devotion to the mullet.

Geraint Thomas- top bloke and great versatility. Races most of the year so you get a lot of bang for your buck with G as one of the squad.

Simon Gerrans- everyone knows the only way he can win...and he still wins.

Peter Sagan- used to not like him very much but he has grown on me.

Rui Costa- decent rider. Didn't think he got the credit he deserved as world champ.

Ian Stannard- just a beast of a rider.

John Degenkolb- despite the facial hair. Flat sprints are dull, prefer the slightly tougher drags which suit him.

Vasil Kiriyenka- for the hurt

Get the fuck in. I love a Steve Cummings stage win.
  • ^ THIS
  • rick_chasey
    Such an English speaking fanboy arntcha RR? ;)

I had 7 men in PN. No results.

Weak.
  • Such an English speaking fanboy arntcha RR? ;)

I had 7 men in PN. No results.

Weak.

Check out Team My Man RR :P
  • RR Should come down and watch the juniors race in Merelbeke today. There's a kid in the break on a Dogma with full Lil Pete British Champion paint job. Either he's a really big fan or he's bought that out the service course.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    professeur wrote:
    Alejandro Valverde: Never thought I'd like him but I really do now.
    Nairo Quintana: The expressionless GC (mini) colossus.
    Carlos Betancur: I want to see a Bananito comeback.
    Cyril Gautier: Everyone likes a tryer.
    Sep Vanmarcke: Keep the faith!
    Tony Martin: Can't wait to see him hit those cobbles.
    Michal Kwiatkowski: The rider I'd most like to be.
    Greg Van Avermaet: The Baby Food Eating Bishop of Bikes and Wheels (sorry).
    Alex Peters: New kid on the block.

Paris-Camembert 2016: Nice one, Cyril!

OZdIsC3.jpg
  • rick_chasey
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Nice!
  • joelsim
    Carlos. Again.
  • rick_chasey
    Boonen - Did well to get some form in time for Roubaix, but it wasn't quite enough. Only a real champion can shape a monument from so far out on 80% form. Without saying it I think he really thought Qatar was his chance to be WC again and deep down I actually think that was the target for the year.

Terpstra. Disappointing, but a nice mugging at Eneco made up for it. I like him, partly because no-one else in the peloton seems to.

Bram Tankink - usual from Bram - little disappointing in the classics, but I saw him a lot in Yorkshire, showing the locals how it's done (like another Dutchman I know...*ahem*) so yeah. So so.

Pozzovivo. rubbish. He's off.

Dumolin - i like whiners so he's grown on me a bit. Decent ride in the Tour & Olympics, so can't do more than that.

Thomas de Gendt - active as ever in breaks and ultimately won the Ventoux stage, so can't complain. I also ended up buying the same helmet as him.

Gesink - Tough season, but was chuffed for him in the Vuelta. Can see him nabbing a stage win if he's up for it in the Tour next year.

Sep Vanmarcke - really ought to have won Flanders. I know Sagan was quite something but Sep might have been closer had he not been fanning around between 150 and 100km with dodgy bikes etc. Was there or there abouts in all the cobbles but didn't really show that eye-raising form he had last time.

Kruiswijk - gutted. I'm worried that was his peak.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    ddraver wrote:
    Chris Froome
    Fabian Cancellara
    Peter Sagan
    Marcel Kittle (sorry Cav :(, hope you prove me wrong)
    Michael Kwiatoski
    Nairo Quitana
    Tony Martin (in a league of his own now Wiggins has "gone" and Canc doesnt care)
    Rafal Maijka
    Ian Stannard

CF - good stuff, unlucky in the Vuelta
    FC - desperately unlucky again
    PS - WC rounds of a consistently excellent but not stunning season - usual story
    MKi - meh
    MKw - disappointing, can't play of the cute little flower thing for ever
    NQ - solid but needs to start really stamping his authority. The Chris Robshaw/England Rugby of cycling
    TM - not great really though pulled at heartstrings repeatedly during the TdF
    RM - solid but needs to step up now Bertie is on his retirement lap
    IS - hero and vanquisher of foolish Belgians

Early transfer season changes
    OUT
    Kiwatowski
    Martin

IN
    John Degenkolb and his 'tache
    Tommy Dumolin

Canc, Qunitana and Majika need to show some promise during the off season for me

So finally...

Canc Out, Boonen in
    Maika Out, Yates in ( :wink: )
    CF - standard
    Boonen - played a part in THAT Paris Roubaix and THAT World Champs but would have been great to see him take one of them. Will still be my man in 20 years.
    PS - 8)
    Kittel - Very happy to say Cav proved me wrong
    NQ - well, still the same really. Needs to win a big race against big competition (no the Vuelta is not)
    TD - Needs to turn potential into big results, TT wins and a stage win good enough, but has the talent to be one of the few Dutchies to repel a Panzerwagon
    Degenkolb - well crazy year for him but great to see him back riding super strong, albeit fruitlessly, in the World Champs
    IS - played apart in THAT paris roubaix and some other semi-classics but none of the heroics of last year
    Yates - I regret to say I forget which Yates I meant...

Was a good decision to take out -
    Canc - one season, and one lap of the velodrome, too far for Spartacus. If we re really honest, Olympic TT Gold is a wilted late night corner shop cherry on the Nadia Hussain Cake of his career
    Kwiat - yeesh, one heroic but ultimatly futile descent aside a nothing year
    Maijka - zilch. Needed a kicking from Oleg

TM - well...came good at the end, but again, against no opposition. a B+ for him, just about probably right decision to switch Tony for Tommy
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Contador
    Tony Martin
    Kwiatowski
    Sagan
    Rafal Majke
    Taylor Phinney
    Nathan Haas
    Both the Yates'

Wins:
    Tour of Basque
    Volta a Burgos
    ITT UCI World Champion
    ITT German National Champion
    E3 Harelbeke
    Tour de France - Points Jersey
    Men's Elite Road Race UCI World Champion
    Men's Elite Road Race European World Champion
    Tour of Flanders
    Gent-Wevelgem
    GP de Quebec
    Tour de France - Climbers Jersey
    Elite Men's Road Race Polish Champion
    Elite Men's Road Race Olympic Games Bronze Medal
    ITT USA National Champion
    Tour de Yorkshire - Climbers Jersey
    Tour de France - White Jersey
    Prueba Villafranca de Ordizia

(I haven't included individual stage wins)

My team might be deemed a bit 'Manchester United' now, but at the start of the season I thought it was fair!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • G, Thomas
    P, Kennaugh
    Z, Stybar
    T, Pinot
    C, Froome
    W, Poels
    P, Rolland
    V, Kiryienka
    L, Meintjes

Team did well this season, a Tour, a monument, an Olympic medal, a World championship medal, and various other wins along the way.

Riders whose contract is definitely not being renewed for next season are as follows: Thomas, Kennaugh, Stybar, Pinot, Rolland and Meintjes.
  • G, Thomas
    P, Kennaugh
    Z, Stybar
    T, Pinot
    C, Froome
    W, Poels
    P, Rolland
    V, Kiryienka
    L, Meintjes

Team did well this season, a Tour, a monument, an Olympic medal, a World championship medal, and various other wins along the way.

Riders whose contract is definitely not being renewed for next season are as follows: Thomas, Kennaugh, Stybar, Pinot, Rolland and Meintjes.

You dont mess around, do you, Shadowrider

'Step forward all those looking forward to getting their 2017 Shadowrider kit...'
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Adam Hansen - 16 consecutive GTs and counting... the man is a legend.
    Sep Vanmarcke - Nearly, nearly... I'm not convinced by the Cannondale move but let's see...
    Joaquim “Purito” Rodriguez - Ach... it's not been a great year but I'll be sad to see him go. Will be interesting to see if he does move into management at Bahrain-Merida...
    Alexander Kristoff - He's missing Il Gerva but hasn't done badly. There or there abouts...
    Michal Kwiatkowski (on probation due to the Sky move) - Well... E3 and that was it. Sky have done what I thought they would.
    Toms Skujinš - Showing potential. Another ToC win and a seemingly level head...
    Esteban Chaves - My man... he's done brilliantly!
    Svein Tuft - Love this guy... 39 and keeps going...
    Andriy Grivko - GC at La Mediterraneenne and another year as a loyal domestique.

Purito's off if he isn't racing... while Sep and Kwiat have the winter for me to make up my mind... Potentially three spaces up for grabs!
  • ^what did you think Sky would do to Little Flower, Dish?

Agree that its all been v disappointing
  • rick_chasey
    ^what did you think Sky would do to Little Flower, Dish?

Quick-Step doesn't look such a bad place now does it?
  • dish_dash
    RR - Make him a nobody...
    RC - I was very happy with him at Quickstep. Wish he had never moved to Sky...
  • ^what did you think Sky would do to Little Flower, Dish?

Well, AGR vs E3. And a silver medal in the TTT at the Worlds. Otherwise tbh his 2015 and 2016 results aren't THAT different...and he got a big payrise. 2014, different story, obvs.

But more than the results per se, he just seems...diminished.

#FreeKwiato
  • dish_dash

Well, AGR vs E3. And a silver medal in the TTT at the Worlds. Otherwise tbh his 2015 and 2016 results aren't THAT different...and he got a big payrise. 2014, different story, obvs.

#FreeKwiato

He was up there in 2015 PN and Pais Vasco also, and generally was a presence, animating races. This year, after E3 he just disappeared... it's a string of DNFs... :(
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    dish_dash wrote:

#FreeKwiato

He was up there in 2015 PN and Pais Vasco also, and generally was a presence, animating races. This year, after E3 he just disappeared... it's a string of DNFs... :(

Seems a long way off the rider who annihilated Sagan at Strade Bianche
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    edited October 2016
    dish_dash wrote:

#FreeKwiato

he's already commented on how he's struggled with illness and injury all season, hence all the DNF's.

Only 2 seasons out of 8 has he won more races than he did this season.

He won one less that he did last year, in fact looking at the facts 2014 is a fluke, and Sky have done nothing to him.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.ph ... &stat_id=2

Anything for a dig at Sky.