My Man 2016

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    7. Jose Serpa. Great climber/ climbing domestique, best tache.
    Two bits of bad news for you. Firstly, he's in semi retirement. He's got no team but hopes to race a bit in Colombia. Secondly, he's shaved off the tache - it should have been protected like a listed building.

He's also been hugely out-tached by Rasmuss Quaade, who I should have on my team really.
    Might have to kick Betancur off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112

Sepulveda - No room on my team for passengers.

:lol:

This didn't get the praise it deserves.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    In no particular order...

G - would have been in anyway but "that" crash and subsequent recovery gets him a 2 year contract. And I liked his book.

Valverde - panto villainy at its finest. Previously didn't care much for him but his attitude to racing and slightly weasel-like nature are a great combo.

Stannard - Ettix Quickstep's fave panto villain "he's behind you... oh no he isn't!"

Richie Porte - can't wait to see him as a leader this season.

Lawson Craddock - "raced" him on zwift. I didn't win.

Chaves - biggest grin in the peloton.

Laurens Ten Dam - "raced" him on zwift as well. Didn't win that one either.

Vasil Kiryienka - when opposing riders need hurting you need Vasil.

Dombrowski - hoping for big things this year.

Geschke - some great rides over the last year and is funny as hell in The Hangover series.

1st Reserve: Jans Bakelandts - for his post TDF stage win interview in 2013(?)

2nd Reserve: Froome -in the reserves only as it's a bit Skycentric in the main squad.

Team Strip - BMC
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Some thinking to do.

But I'm bringing in Paolini as DS
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Geraint Thomas- Comes across as a decent bloke, enjoyed his book and he had a good year last year.

Tony Martin- Had to have him after his performance in the Tour last year. The narrative over those first 6 stages even had my Mum screaming at the TV cheering his name.

Kwiatkowski- Because I have my shorts as long as he does.

Tom Dumoulin- Looks fast on a TT bike.

Stybar- Only been watching Pro racing for a few years, and the Paris-Roubaix where he got knocked off was one of the very first races I watched. Always rooted for him since.

Adam Yates- Rising star.

Simon Yates- Another rising star.

Boassen Hagen- Got to have a DD rider in there, thought he was awesome at the Tour of Britain.

Degenkolb- Because one German isn't enough.
  • I'll join in, enjoyed all the conversations about this towards the end of the season:

G, Thomas
    P, Kennaugh
    Z, Stybar
    T, Pinot
    C, Froome
    R, Mullen
    P, Rolland
    V, Kiryienka
    L, Meintjes
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I'm new to this one, on consideration my inaugural team for 2016 is....

Zdenek Stybar - seems a sound bloke, doesn't take himself too seriously, and a hard racer to boot. Carried my bet to a convincing victory at Strada Bianche and will therefore forever carry my affections.

John Degenkolb - a bald man paid money to advertise shampoo, what a legend. Was also my wining bet for both MSR and PR and will therefore forever carry my affections.

Adam Yates - the one that got away. The day before San Sebastian I clocked him at 25-1 and urged my brother to back him. Me? Tried to place bet, had issue with 4G signal and forgot to re try. Of course he only bloody won. Grrrr.

Rui Costa - the surprise world champ of 2013, but not in my household where my canny bet at 40-1 proved a winner. Ok, has done little since apart from mugging Nibs at the Dauphinaise Tatties, but we'll always have 2013.

Geraint Thomas - no need to recap what a year he's had. Engaging, entertaining and I would guess slyly subversive behind the walls of Fort Sky.

Andy Fenn - I'm Scottish so obviously drawn to the fiery Scot and his thick Scottish brogue. Even I struggle to understand him at times. Carries the hopes of a nation within the peleton, he and we dream of a surprise Dirk Demol style PR win.

Elia Viviani - the personable Italian exceeded my expectations this year and looks a sound acquisition. Omnium machine too and likely to bag gold in Rio.

Matthias Frank - proof that you can establish a viable career from tiptoeing unnoticed into top 10, kudos to him and you've got to respect him for it.

Ian Stannard - the beast of Britain, doughty workhorse and Etixx slayer. Saw him turn in a hapless, pie fuelled performance at the Glasgow Revolution event, but love him all the more for it.
  • I'll join in, enjoyed all the conversations about this towards the end of the season:

G, Thomas: allround one of my favourite riders. Capable of so much.
    P, Kennaugh: Lil Pete, wears that NC jersey better than any I've seen.
    Z, Stybar: Has a big classics win in him, I know it.
    T, Pinot: Like his style, I feel I ride my bike like him.
    C, Froome: Just cause.
    R, Mullen: big future, looking forward to seeing him at WT team
    P, Rolland: Always good value.
    V, Kiryienka: Needs no explanation
    L, Meintjes: Same as Mullen
  • Purely sentimental list for my first here
    1: Chris Froome: I looked at the TDF in 2013 for David Veilleux (Europcar) and from stage 9 (when Froome was isolated) I became a fan of cycling races because of him .
    2: Wout Poels: took the first chance he had to show that Team Sky was right to sign him. (And for the photo taken by Scott Mitchell in Mallorca )
    3: Tony Martin: because he chose cobbles races for 2016. without sandpaper, I hope
    4: Vasil Kiryienka: WOW, imperturbable on office hours.
    5: Antoine Duchesne, biased as we go at the same grocery store , his first GT in 2015.
    6- Michael Woods, a Canadian who has an interesting course with medals won in athletics before cycling.And a good season in 2015. for me, interesting to see what he will do with Cannondale
    7-Tony Gallopin: I still remember his victory in stage 11 of the TDF 2014.
    8: Ian Boswell: we saw great things in 2015. I hope more in 2016 and he loves his mum. :)
    9: Sam Bennett: still biased, Sam is on a bike made by company from Montreal.
  • First time doing 'My Man' ... feels exciting.

Thibaut Pinot - he has a pet lamb, what more do you want?

Dan Martin - he's ugly as sin, those teeth man! I like an ugly bloke, I hope he wins a lot and we see his row of terraced house teeth on the podium.

Tony Martin - he sandpapers his arse, respect where its due.

Peter Sagan - I know all the reasons other people have for loving Sagan, but honestly, that machine gun celebration during his green jersey presentation, that's enough for me.

G - obvious.

Julian Alaphilippe - young talent, actually reckon he could have a bit of a quiet year after the hype he caused last year but not like he's going to disappear, he'll be beasting it soon enough.

Zdenek Stybar - just looks hard, no nonsense. Think he's a good shout for Roubaix this year, we'll see.

Romain Bardet - very good bike racer. Hope some big results come his way, probably a bit too much of a stretch for a GC contender this year but it'll come.

Finally Chris Froome - just like seeing how much he winds people for winning when he doesn't look good on a bike compared to some classic European, graceful, climbing legend of the sport so I'm all for that. Team mutant all the way.
  • Alejandro Valverde: Never thought I'd like him but I really do now.
    Nairo Quintana: The expressionless GC (mini) colossus.
    Carlos Betancur: I want to see a Bananito comeback.
    Cyril Gautier: Everyone likes a tryer.
    Sep Vanmarcke: Keep the faith!
    Tony Martin: Can't wait to see him hit those cobbles.
    Michal Kwiatkowski: The rider I'd most like to be.
    Greg Van Avermaet: The Baby Food Eating Bishop of Bikes and Wheels (sorry).
    Alex Peters: New kid on the block.

PIC455174388.jpg
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    [

As ever, I reserve the right to call in any other Qhubeka (now Dimension Data) rider at any point. Yes, including Cav and EBH.
    Steve Cummings

With the departure of frenchfighter, I think that will comfortably give you the largest nine man squad.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I thought about doing a FF memorial squad. Unfortunately, according to forum 'search' there over 600 'my men' in his posts.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Only 600 :D

No particular order for my team ...

Robert Gesink
    Chris Froome
    Tom Dumoulin
    Tiesj Benoot
    Wout Poels
    Merhawi Kudus
    Julian Alaphilippe
    Geraint Thomas
    Lil Pete

Mikel Landa and Tony Martin just missed out. It will be interesting to see how they get on in the Giro/ cobbles one day races, but I can do that anyway!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    OK, here goes:

Esteban Chaves:
    Smiles a lot and is going to be a damn good rider (already is).

Chris Froome:
    He's all round class. Love him.

Robert Gesink:
    A bit of a renaissance in 2015, hope it continues.

Ryder Hesjedal:
    Massive heart, and looks as good on a bike as I do.

Steven Kruijswijk:
    Had a good showing in the GTs last year, gutsy rider.

Joaquim Rodriguez:
    Would love to see him do something big in his last year.

Luke Rowe:
    Good Cardiff boy, innit. And I fancy him for a real go at P-R without Sky having to indulge Wiggins.

Peter Sagan:
    The odd bit of bellendery aside (touching podium girls up), I think he's great fun and really want him to show off the stripes this year.

Geraint Thomas:
    Another Cardiff boy. Enough said.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Brambilla
    Love his fisticuffs and seems to be there or thereabouts - hope to see him take a GT stage this year

Kennaugh
    Pure nationalism but you gotta love lil Pete - good to see me have a crack at the Ardennes classics this season if he gets the chance

Ten Dam
    Every team needs a solid domestique and he is a thoroughly nice guy

Sagan
    Just because

Pinot
    My descending is akin to his

Nibali
    His 2016 TdF stage win and Monument were great rides hopefully see more fireworks with him and Vino

G Thomas
    Loving his book, interesting to see what role he gets this year

Bardet
    Cracking win at the Dauphine exciting talent

Gougeard
    Impressive breakout season last year, be great fun watching how he goes in 2016
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Nibali
    His 2016 TdF stage win and Monument were great rides hopefully see more fireworks with him and Vino

This isn't the predictions thread..
  • Nibali

This isn't the predictions thread..

:D

also, the only firework I want to see is one that has Vino attached to the end of it
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    [

As ever, I reserve the right to call in any other Qhubeka (now Dimension Data) rider at any point. Yes, including Cav and EBH.
    Steve Cummings

With the departure of frenchfighter, I think that will comfortably give you the largest nine man squad.

I'm allowed. Because I'm special.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Chris Froome
    Fabian Cancellara
    Peter Sagan
    Marcel Kittle (sorry Cav :(, hope you prove me wrong)
    Michael Kwiatoski
    Nairo Quitana
    Tony Martin (in a league of his own now Wiggins has "gone" and Canc doesnt care)
    Rafal Maijka
    Ian Stannard

CF - good stuff, unlucky in the Vuelta
    FC - desperately unlucky again
    PS - WC rounds of a consistently excellent but not stunning season - usual story
    MKi - meh
    MKw - disappointing, can't play of the cute little flower thing for ever
    NQ - solid but needs to start really stamping his authority. The Chris Robshaw/England Rugby of cycling
    TM - not great really though pulled at heartstrings repeatedly during the TdF
    RM - solid but needs to step up now Bertie is on his retirement lap
    IS - hero and vanquisher of foolish Belgians

Early transfer season changes
    OUT
    Kiwatowski
    Martin

IN
    John Degenkolb and his 'tache
    Tommy Dumolin

Canc, Qunitana and Majika need to show some promise during the off season for me

So finally...

Canc Out, Boonen in
    Maika Out, Yates in ( :wink: )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Amets Txurruka: Attack!

Tony Martin: Attack!

Julian Arredondo: Attack!

Stefano Pirazzi: Attack!

Pierre Rolland: Attack!

Stephen Kruiswijck: Attack!

Tim Wellens: Attack!

Thomas Voeckler: Attack!

Romain Bardet: Attack!

Wins? Who needs 'em. I only care about the spectacle :D

• Wins? Who needs 'em. I only care about the spectacle :D

Ha ha - good shout
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Kelderman
    Vanmarcke
    ten Dam
    Hofland
    Gesink
    Kruijswijk
    Keizer
    Martens
    van Asbroeck

Just the usual suspects...
    Half man, Half bike
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Kelderman
    Vanmarcke
    ten Dam
    Hofland
    Gesink
    Kruijswijk
    Keizer
    Martens
    van Asbroeck

Just the usual suspects...

I've a feeling Teunissen may be on your next list!
  • ridgerider
    Kelderman
    Vanmarcke
    ten Dam
    Hofland
    Gesink
    Kruijswijk
    Teunissen
    Martens
    van Asbroeck

Sorted...thanks.
    Half man, Half bike
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Kelderman
    Vanmarcke
    ten Dam
    Hofland
    Gesink
    Kruijswijk
    Teunissen
    Martens
    van Asbroeck

Sorted...thanks.

I've a feeling Lindeman may be on your next list!

Especially as Mr Dribbles rides for Giant.
  • ridgerider
    Kelderman
    Vanmarcke
    ten Dam
    Hofland
    Gesink
    Kruijswijk
    Teunissen
    Lindeman
    van Asbroeck

I'm happy with that...all killers, no fillers.

Refuse to drop LTD as I will be able to quote him as 'my man' as he reels off a string of wins in southern cali chippers...
    Half man, Half bike
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Adam Hansen
    Sep Vanmarcke
    Joaquin “Purito” Rodriguez
    Alexander Kristoff
    Michal Kwiatkowski (on probation due to the Sky move)
    Toms Skujinš
    Esteban Chaves
    Svein Tuft
    Andriy Grivko

OUT
    Paolini - Mainly cuz he doesn't appear to be riding in 2016...
    Atapuma - Did nothing for me last year...

IN
    Toms Skujinš - I just have a good feeling about him...
    Esteban Chaves - Everyone's favourite Colombian... he puts a smile on my face so I couldn't resist.
  • ^Whats Little Flower's probationary period, Dish? Through to the Ardennes?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    ^Whats Little Flower's probationary period, Dish? Through to the Ardennes?

Ach... I'll push it out to the Tour to allow him some stage racing as well as the one-dayers. I'm concerned he'll get smothered and lose his style... we'll see.