Fred Whitton Challenge 2016, the big thread

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    pigeontoes wrote:
    In that case no problem, last year I arrived about 0610 there was less than a 5 minute queue to get started.

By car?
  • london-red
    London-Red wrote:
    pigeontoes wrote:
    In that case no problem, last year I arrived about 0610 there was less than a 5 minute queue to get started.

By car?

By that, I mean did you arrive at 0610 by car, got parked straight away and only had to queue for 5 mins to start?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    pigeontoes wrote:

Excellent, thanks!
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    MrB123 wrote:
    Does anyone happen to know a fairly accurate figure for the total metres of climbing on the Fred? There seem to be some widely differing figures depending upon where one looks on the interweb.

... to make things more complicated, before 2014 it used to start from Coniston and take in an extra climb before Kirkstone, which probably accounts for the further spread in irreproducible data
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    My Strava record from 2014 says 11,118 feet, so whatever that is in metres? 3389ish, according to a conversion site I've just used.
    2014 was the first time Grasmere was used, so this should be fairly accurate, iPhone/Strava permitting.
  • Now I'm going to whisper this quietly so the weather Gods don't hear but have you seen the forecast for Sunday ? Dry until around 5pm, warm (13 degrees at 7am rising to 20 by mid afternoon) with NEXT TO NO WIND ! After the last two years I've done it going over cold fell will almost be pleasurable :lol:
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Now I'm going to whisper this quietly so the weather Gods don't hear but have you seen the forecast for Sunday ? Dry until around 5pm, warm (13 degrees at 7am rising to 20 by mid afternoon) with NEXT TO NO WIND ! After the last two years I've done it going over cold fell will almost be pleasurable :lol:

Ah well that's that banjaxed....

In other news my weight loss routine seems to have worked, doing only 50% of what I've done for the last 3 weeks for a taper feels great (by comparison with the last 3 weeks), my dinner plate is on the back, I have saved another 300g by taking off my lights and I have decided I don't care how long it takes me, my only goal is to make it round without voluntarily putting a foot down on any of the climbs.

Oh, and my rider pack hasn't turned up :shock: :? :cry:
  • london-red
    MBCaad8 wrote:
    Now I'm going to whisper this quietly so the weather Gods don't hear but have you seen the forecast for Sunday ? Dry until around 5pm, warm (13 degrees at 7am rising to 20 by mid afternoon) with NEXT TO NO WIND ! After the last two years I've done it going over cold fell will almost be pleasurable :lol:

In other news my weight loss routine seems to have worked, doing only 50% of what I've done for the last 3 weeks for a taper feels great (by comparison with the last 3 weeks), my dinner plate is on the back, I have saved another 300g by taking off my lights and I have decided I don't care how long it takes me, my only goal is to make it round without voluntarily putting a foot down on any of the climbs.

I've just been to the LBS to pick up an Endura Equipe Classics rain jersey that was on offer at Sigma. I'll be the antidote to your optimism, and in turn the gods may be kind :wink:
  • London-Red wrote:
    MBCaad8 wrote:

I've just been to the LBS to pick up an Endura Equipe Classics rain jersey that was on offer at Sigma. I'll be the antidote to your optimism, and in turn the gods may be kind :wink:

Well I'll admit now I will be packing my stolen goat orkaan top "just in case" :wink: As my old man (God rest his soul) used to say to me : Take a coat when it's fine, please tha'self when it's raining...
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Can you start at any time you like or are there prescribed times? I assume the timing stuff gets given out at registration - it came in the post for the Tour de Yorkshire.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    You can start any time you like - I think between 6am and 8am. It explains in the rider pack you should have received in the post. You'll get the timing sticker thing when you register on Saturday (or sunday morning) - don't forget photo ID!

I'm becoming increasingly obsessive about this. Can't stop looking at the route map, thinking about food, clothes, weather, pacing, you name it!
  • ugo.santalucia
    shazzz wrote:
    I'm becoming increasingly obsessive about this. Can't stop looking at the route map, thinking about food, clothes, weather, pacing, you name it!

Much more relaxed than last year ahead of the Etape du Dales. The forecast here is very benign, which means clothes choice is more straightforward... also not having to descend with 40-50 mph gales relieve a lot of anxiety about the all thing. I have to say that whilst last year I was dreading the event, this year I am looking forward to it... it's a much better feeling (even if compleltey misplaced... :mrgreen: )
  • london-red
    Ugo, did you say you'd printed off a profile map of the route for your top tube?
  • Agent57
    shazzz wrote:
    You can start any time you like - I think between 6am and 8am. It explains in the rider pack you should have received in the post. You'll get the timing sticker thing when you register on Saturday (or sunday morning) - don't forget photo ID!

I got something in the post, but it was just an emergency contact details card, a map and an car park pass. Maybe the contact details card had more information on it than I noticed.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ugo.santalucia
    London-Red wrote:
    Ugo, did you say you'd printed off a profile map of the route for your top tube?

I did... I scribbled some target times at specific points to get back in 8:30... if I do better, then I might go for an 8 hours finish, but I am not overly bothered one way or the other... looks like one to enjoy the scenery more than one to look down at the stem (not one for Froome... :lol: )
  • Agent57
    London-Red wrote:

I did... I scribbled some target times at specific points to get back in 8:30...

I'm thinking 10. :D
  • london-red
    London-Red wrote:

I did... I scribbled some target times at specific points to get back in 8:30... if I do better, then I might go for an 8 hours finish, but I am not overly bothered one way or the other... looks like one to enjoy the scenery more than one to look down at the stem (not one for Froome... :lol: )

Gotcha. Might do the same, if for no other reason than to look pro on the Embankment next week :lol:
  • Bit of a heads up for everyone traveling by car to Grassmere on Sunday morning. Due to the road being closed between Keswick and Grassmere anyone traveling from the North will have to come in from the south (Ambleside) so this road will be rammed. I'd allow plenty of time to get to the sports field.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Agent57 wrote:
    I got something in the post, but it was just an emergency contact details card, a map and an car park pass. Maybe the contact details card had more information on it than I noticed.

Is there some info on the back of the map? I can't remember tbh, but they'll tell you all you need to know when you register. You can definitely start whenever you like, within a certain window which I think is 6am to 8am.
    I have to say that whilst last year I was dreading the event, this year I am looking forward to it... it's a much better feeling (even if compleltey misplaced... :mrgreen: )

Oh yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. It's amazing what a good weather forecast can do for the spirit!
  • london-red
    So I've made a vertical profile of the route if anyone wants to print it off and stick on their top tube. Mileage is not precise, as I ran out of time, but it's thereabouts... You'll need to resize to fit your tubing...

6O_XCxVJw1PeS5pn61PM2crKADaK5rcIY9EK_-IxGW5Gmbbj2S66UiekAVpRR8GNz-bynh6zdp6QEDG9rmpuDK64hCmlSnZA0rUKiyfhPcC9RppbSBWfDH9gR7pvbOYR_gjk6WQ2zUgHAmiS1zDYht1lf2BA3pg-DTBBLYLuNAcFpv5CUarJ51iSxeq1jUMjWQdXxdzM8HqLaMZgvPdAzxW7QfUZZeoIrdzHKBATzUpqCn1JCV2avdMNZHnJdum41ax6ctiqOH7iYpjBk_wCGPCUr9smSgW6-G8rn7xUeWxpmm8sqz0R2gc3a-ZhAwfYNkchxSKBrtmRp-coI-iKKTokPA2pGDKDUK6h2MD3KjKYNPpPx-kP82Bd_03xWNfc00W29LCIw3K29wsrB0xv3IEBvnC2XLuCjZrQdW4oRs4oNP-CNKx6apdwzjPzMz9IYTmtQBtapqNpatLQZD1BzXnQPEjWW-TIhSt2c-XqCpTYgoLWSShQ7TgojhUW65gfIehPTI5k0lzEvi2s-8os6n7nu17cVkYydse7guEy95-ECg9fII6usfjDZBLVHlj-5fP6=w152-h640-no

Obsessing? Me? Nah...
  • ugo.santalucia
    I hope the Matterdale has no connection with the Matterhorn
  • london-red
    We'll be climbing the south face - no biggy..
  • ugo.santalucia
    London-Red wrote:
    We'll be climbing the south face - no biggy..

Incidentally I have climbed the south face, as far as the road goes... probably a bit on the long side for the Fred

fc2b6ea741ab837499d32f93a72e59fa760f033c.jpg
  • london-red
    Max 12%? Wimp's climb.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    London-Red wrote:
    Max 12%? Wimp's climb.

Yeh that's for wimps. Great Dun Fell is a bit more of a challenge :shock:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Good luck to all taking part. I'm having a year off after doing the last four. Looks like you're in luck regarding the weather - I bl**dy knew that the one year I didn't take part you'd have great conditions.

Remember to smile for the photographer on Hardknott...
  • Agent57
    shazzz wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Is there some info on the back of the map?

Oh yeah! I thought it was just a map. Didn't look on the back. :D Thanks!
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    From my experience of riding the last 2 years route.... I stay in Ambleside and register the day before. You normally get given a gift when you register, bit of a problem if you register Sunday and have nowhere to put it. I ride from Ambleside to the start for a 6 am start. At this time the traffic queue is already 2 miles out from Grasmere show field, you may be waiting a while if your not there early. The descents are ridiculous, though admit I'm not really fond of going downhill anyway. The forecast is currently superb, but this is the lakes and rain could still happen. If you have to push its not a problem as many others do, it takes a lot of willpower and strong legs (even with a dinner plate) to get up, try and stick to the sides of the road as some people will be trying to ride up. Try and get in a group of your pace down the A66, it's a drag but there's always someone else willing to sit on the front. Honestly is the 1st real test, don't underestimate it, it's very very steep.
    Good luck and see you on the road. Will be riding a red Planet X.
  • Rpeas
    Rpeas Posts: 3
    I'm really looking forward to this now! Beautiful weather and beautiful roads :-) These are my local roads but it's my first time doing the Fred. I'm looking forward to riding them with so many people.
    Matterdale is a nice climb, great views along the way and not too steep.
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    At what point do I believe the weather forecast and take my winter gear out of my bag and leave it at home???