Fred Whitton Challenge 2016, the big thread

Comments

• Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    edited May 2016
    Bit of a heads up for everyone traveling by car to Grassmere on Sunday morning. Due to the road being closed between Keswick and Grassmere anyone traveling from the North will have to come in from the south (Ambleside) so this road will be rammed. I'd allow plenty of time to get to the sports field.
    Or park at the north end of Thirlmere (quite a large pull-in before the short dual carriageway bit) and have a warm-up ride along the (FLAT) west side of thirlmere and over the new bridleway to the top of Dunmail Raise - not particularly steep, but nothing tricky, just a couple of gates). Its about 6 miles. Then its all downhill to Grasmere on a wide, straight road with NO traffic. :mrgreen:
    Its just a gentle bimble back up Dunmail afterwards - a perfect warm down.

Good luck to everyone doing it. Looking cracking.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    MBCaad8 wrote:
    At what point do I believe the weather forecast and take my winter gear out of my bag and leave it at home???
    Its the lake district. You don't :?

Actually, it does look like its settled in for perfect weather. But it can be cracking the flags in Kendal, bucketing down in Ambleside, claggy in Keswick and snowing in Eskdale, all at the same time, in the middle of summer. :mrgreen: Not worth taking the risk - at least have a waterproof stashed away, possibly arm/leg warmers too. Just in case.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I think arm and knee warmers will be required for the start, especially if you're getting away at around 6.30am, which I hope to do, traffic allowing - I may even park at work in Ambleside and spin over to Grasmere.
    There may be a few showers knocking around, according to the latest forecast, but I suppose it depends where you are and at what time.
    Deciding what to wear is tricky this time round - in previous years it was easy, wet and cool weather gear, but this weekend it looks like a s/s top (but what weight? Sportwool? Summer weight? Mid weight? Aaagh!!), maybe a mesh baselayer, start with a gilet and the aforementioned warmers (basically things you can stuff in the back pocket). Also might be a need for 750ml bottles rather than 500ml!
    Luckily for me my other half is planning to meet me en route (depending on where is easily accessible given the A591 closure) so I can always offload excess stuff, and perhaps have a different jersey if the one I choose is too warm - she can always hold out a musette for me to collect Pro-style as I pass...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Luckily for me my other half is planning to meet me en route (depending on where is easily accessible given the A591 closure) so I can always offload excess stuff, and perhaps have a different jersey if the one I choose is too warm - she can always hold out a musette for me to collect Pro-style as I pass...

Let's be clear on one thing: if you have team support you are not allowed to brag comes monday... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    All riders are obliged to at least have a wind/waterproof long sleeved top with them this year, it seems. I have a Montane jacket that rolls up into a fairly small ball, so reckon that'll do.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Bit of a heads up for everyone traveling by car to Grassmere on Sunday morning. Due to the road being closed between Keswick and Grassmere anyone traveling from the North will have to come in from the south (Ambleside) so this road will be rammed. I'd allow plenty of time to get to the sports field.
    Or park at the north end of Thirlmere (quite a large pull-in before the short dual carriageway bit) and have a warm-up ride along the (FLAT) west side of thirlmere and over the new bridleway to the top of Dunmail Raise - not particularly steep, but nothing tricky, just a couple of gates). Its about 6 miles. Then its all downhill to Grasmere on a wide, straight road with NO traffic. :mrgreen:
    Its just a gentle bimble back up Dunmail afterwards - a perfect warm down.

Good luck to everyone doing it. Looking cracking.

Yes the road in from Ambleside is a nightmare most years - if it's having to carry diverted traffic too well worth avoiding for the sake of a 6 mile roll in.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Agent57 wrote:
    All riders are obliged to at least have a wind/waterproof long sleeved top with them this year, it seems. I have a Montane jacket that rolls up into a fairly small ball, so reckon that'll do.

Yeah, I saw that when re-reading the instructions again earlier - apparently failure to bring one results in disqualification! I might ask them tomorrow if given the forecast they would perhaps be a bit lenient about this.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Hope you all have a good ride for those who have never done it before you are in for a treat.
  • OwenCB
    OwenCB Posts: 125
    Good luck guys. Weather nearby to the start is dry, warm with a light breeze currently got 21°c showing on my thermometer.

It might be a suncream day!
  • EarlofBarnet
    EarlofBarnet Posts: 673
    Good luck everyone tomorrow. Weathers looking good, so let's get out there and enjoy the scenery. I'm nervous, but excited. There's been a lot of hours training gone in to this, so here's hoping it pays off. Have a good one, see you all there.

Matt
  • Spartacus1981
    Spartacus1981 Posts: 254
    G'day all. I'm hoping me and my butty can register in the morning as there's no way we're getting there by 5pm coming from South Wales. What time does the registration get going on Sunday morning for the people who couldn't get there Saturday ? And where is it ? I think we also want to start as early as possible if we can ....
  • ugo.santalucia
    Grasmere sur le Mer... total summer here :-)
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    So I'm Rider # 0827
    White, black and red Bottecchia with deep rims (like a complete tart)
    I'll be looking to set off between 6 & 6.30 so say hi if you happen to spot me!

Either way, good luck to all - went for a 20 mile spin around Kendal this am and put in 1300ft climbing without noticing... Let's hope the form holds :D
  • Agent57 wrote:

Yeah, I saw that when re-reading the instructions again earlier - apparently failure to bring one results in disqualification! I might ask them tomorrow if given the forecast they would perhaps be a bit lenient about this.
    Any update on this ? I'll be taking one with me when I set off in the car to Grassmere in the morning but I'd rather not take it on the bike if I don't have to.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Have a look to see if they are checking people at the start - if not then don't bother.
  • ugo.santalucia
    7h 58m... better than expected... Hardknott is a beast... still, I tamed it! :-)

Marvellous views around the lakes in the morning
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    6h36m for me. My hip held up fine, but I had a few wobbly moments with cramp around the pins on the steepest of the climbs.

Hope everyone had a great day!
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    7h50m for me. Stunning day - cramped up on Hardknott and had to stop and shake them out a couple of times, but no walking involved...

6 anything is an awesome time! Chapeau!!
  • 7 hours 3 minutes official time for me. Gutted not to get under 7 hours. Took a wrong turn over near cold fell and added a mile and a half to my overall distance. Classic error. Other than that really enjoyed the day. Both thighs were cramping up going over Hardnott so had to walk the last part. Managed to scrape over Wynrose without getting off. And then it was a mad push to the finish. Proper time trial mode. Well done to everyone who made it round today.
  • 6:41 overall time for me, 6:20 moving time.Got held up on an accident on Kirkstone (healing vibes for the guy who came off, looked a nasty crash ) that had the group I was with split into two (that had Rob Jebb in it, who got round in 5:47 :shock: ) then had two punctures but hayho, these things happen. Had massive cramp on Hardknott, Wrynose and Langdale but seemed to pull through for the last 5-6miles. I know they say never say never but I think it'll be my last Fred for me. Now I know everyone's riding ability is different but some of the riding I whitnessed was quite frankly shocking. I was actually scared of my wellbeing in places. I'd rather take my chances in a 4th cat crit race.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Well done everyone who did it, or even started it. We were in Elterwater watching for awhile. Enjoying bike spotting, ice cream and a pint of cider at Britannia.

There's a fair few of PlanetX bike riders in it which surprised me. Saw my first Canyon nice bike even if it was doing 20mph or so as it passed me. Way too many Cannondales and Spesh bikes.

BTW I think we were 6 miles from the end and there were a few around with cowbells giving very vocal support. I hope you got that support around the course it's a tough route I reckon.
  • smudge002
    smudge002 Posts: 17
    8:18 was my official time for today, but 7:41 riding time (two stops and a couple of minor mechanicals). First FW and haven't yet decided if I will give it another crack. Let's see how my knee is in a few days and then I'll have a think.

It was an amazing day and we were very lucky with the weather. I'm very glad I put a 32 on the back; no walking for me! :D

Pretty tired now after a long drive back to Kent via N London.

Well done everyone, especially those posting some seriously fast times. Extremely impressive.
  • Sorry if I came across as a winger, certainly not meant to be :oops: Echo what Smuge said above ^^^ the support from the public was amazing. Remember the Honister 92 crew at the start of cold fell, amazing.
  • Agent57
    Did it! First century in the bag! \o/ Not fast though. 9h 49m.

Just wore short sleeves from the start (6:17am for me). Had to walk up bits of Hardknott and Wrynose - the headwind all the way from Harknott to the last climb was sapping. So was the sun!

Tell you what, the descents aren't the reward they should be!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • smudge002
    smudge002 Posts: 17
    I'm not really sure what to say about the bike handling skills. I ride a fair bit in Kent/ Sussex hills and into London most days and I would say I am a reasonable bike handler, but absolutely nothing I have ever done was at all similar to the descents off Hardknott and Wrynose, and I am pretty sure there is nothing in the South-East that can give you any idea of how difficult it is to ride down those gradients. I took my time (as the priority was to get home in one piece), tried to hold a line and kept to the left when faster descenders came through. I expect I got in people's way, but I tried as hard as I could not to. Maybe the answer was to do some Lakes cycling as prep, but it isn't particularly practical from Kent!
  • Agent57
    The local support was great! Maybe the nice weather helped, but having so many people giving encouragement along the way really helped.
    smudge002 wrote:
    I'm very glad I put a 32 on the back; no walking for me! :D

Hehe, I was so jealous of people with 32s! My bike is a 39/53, but the rear cassette is 12-25. Reckon I could have done with a dinner plate (and a compact); but think I'd still have walked some of Hardknott!

As for handling skills, I didn't see anything too bad. Not like the mass ride events like Manchester-Blackpool or London-Brighton. Didn't see any accidents apart from one guy who looked like he'd come a cropper on a descent.

Got passed by some absolute express trains. The ones with a bunch of riders in team kits looked particularly cool. I passed the time jersey spotting. =)
  • EarlofBarnet
    EarlofBarnet Posts: 673
    edited May 2016
    What a day! It was certainly a warm one.

My first run at the Fred and I really enjoyed it. There was a group of seven of us who stuck together all the way round. I managed all the passes without putting a foot down, got to love a compact and a 32!

My rolling time was 8hrs 7mins but official time was 9hr 24min. We had some decent food stops thanks to our team van and there was a bit of waiting for some of the group after the climbs.

It was one of my team mates that came off on Kirkstone. Thank fully nothing broken, just a bit of a mess. They kept him in hospital over night but he should be out today.

Picture of my group coming up the leeps, heading towards Ennerdale (and Cold Fell). Unfortunately the Beats Box had ran out of batteries by then so we didn't have any tunes on. Ha ha.

E0065E2C-C332-4F9F-80DB-16513C5E5783_zpsavf8jju4.jpg

I was surprised by the number of punctures at the bottom of some of the passes. There must have been 20-30 at the bottom of Honister. Bit too much heat in the rims from braking and the hot temperatures of the day?
  • Rpeas
    Rpeas Posts: 3
    What an amazing day!
    Did 7h 38 and didn't stop of Hardknott so I'm very happy with that.
    I was amazed by the support along the route, it really helped up Hardknott. I can still hear the cow bells!!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400

There's a fair few of PlanetX bike riders in it which surprised me.

Don't tell MikeBrew :)
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167

It was one of my team mates that came off on Kirkstone. Thank fully nothing broken, just a bit of a mess. They kept him in hospital over night but he should be out today.

Glad to hear he is ok, they were just putting the neck brace on when I went past, he was covered in blood.
    That and the guy who crashed at the bottom of honnister and the guy who was receiving treatment in the makeshift tent hallway up hardknock really made me realise how tough a race this is.

I was on for sub 7 hours till I hit a brick wall at 85 miles and struggled up the last two passes, rolled in at 7hr 13 which is 30mins quicker than my pb so happy with that.