Fred Whitton Challenge 2016, the big thread

Right, after many years of thinking about it, but passing, I have decided to have a go at it. I did the Etape du Dales in gale force wind last year, so if the weather is slightly more benign, even the Fred should be doable.
Booked hotel in Grasmere (loving the free cancellation policy) and waiting to enter the draw next week...

Who is also thinking about it?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Considering it, didn't fancy forking out £300 for a guaranteed place earlier this month and like you will opt for the luck of the draw.

Failing that I might volunteer as a Marshall and get a guaranteed place for 2017.

The only two questions which I won't have an answer until I ride is my strength to get round and why early May when the weather has been "interesting"?

What's the hotel in Grasmere?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

• The only two questions which I won't have an answer until I ride is my strength to get round and why early May when the weather has been "interesting"?

It's always been the second sunday in May... the Etape du Dales is the following week. In the old Sportive calendar, 10 years ago when there weren't that many, every week there was one: Polka Dot Challenge, Dragon Ride, they all ran on different weekends to avoid competing for the same riders, which at the time were not that many.

May can be cold, can be warm, can be windy, can be wet, same as any other month in the area.
  • I'm waiting until the 1st of Jan to post it on our club page, so people will be spurred into agreeing by a combination of cheese and wine guilt and still being recklessly drunk. I may have talked up the difficulty a bit too much previously. I've not done any other sportives in the UK with the same atmosphere or sense of achievement as when you make it to the top of Hardknott. Everyone should do it at least once!
  • I may have talked up the difficulty a bit too much previously.

As always in hilly sportives, it's down to the weather. In good conditions everything is very doable, in bad weather everything becomes much harder.
    Last year I was set for an 8 hour finish at the E du D... switch on the weather and I finished in 9 hours 15. Having a look at the results, it was the slowest in a decade, even counting bikes are now 1 Kg lighter and more aerodynamic and more suitably geared than 10 years ago... so it's all down to the weather, which you can't plan.
  • I may have talked up the difficulty a bit too much previously.

As always in hilly sportives, it's down to the weather. In good conditions everything is very doable, in bad weather everything becomes much harder.
    Last year I was set for an 8 hour finish at the E du D... switch on the weather and I finished in 9 hours 15. Having a look at the results, it was the slowest in a decade, even counting bikes are now 1 Kg lighter and more aerodynamic and more suitably geared than 10 years ago... so it's all down to the weather, which you can't plan.

Very true, had a friend who did the Fred and got caught in a hailstorm a few years ago and in 2013 there was another huge hailstorm the night before. On the day it didn't hail but the wind and rain were fairly ferocious and a lot of people dropped out at Calder Bridge with mild hypothermia. I skipped 2014 and this year the weather was a lot better, but still a bit wet. I had some mechanicals though, so I'm still hoping for a completely warm, dry ride with no issues :-)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    [

Very true, had a friend who did the Fred and got caught in a hailstorm a few years ago and in 2013 there was another huge hailstorm the night before. On the day it didn't hail but the wind and rain were fairly ferocious and a lot of people dropped out at Calder Bridge with mild hypothermia. I skipped 2014 and this year the weather was a lot better, but still a bit wet. I had some mechanicals though, so I'm still hoping for a completely warm, dry ride with no issues :-)

I thought it was a tough one this year, that head wind over Cold Fell area was an absolute killer.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • But isn't it actually the weather that makes these events? The year I did the Strathpuffer (24hr MTB race in January in the Scottish Highlands) there was actually a bit of disappointment because it stayed (just) above freezing so ice tyres weren't needed and the wind wasn't bad either. The fact that it's dark from 3pm to 9am, a Cat4 climb up a fire road, a technical rocky section, 12" deep in mud in places (causing horrible chain suck), your brake pads probably only last 2 laps (2 hours) and you're living out f the back of a transit van (at 2C) for 25+hrs etc isn't enough.

Nobody wants to brag that they did the Fred Whitton the year that is was dead calm, sunny and 17C - much better to say it was the year that 3 people died of exposure, there was 3' of snow and blizzards....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • But isn't it actually the weather that makes these events? The year I did the Strathpuffer (24hr MTB race in January in the Scottish Highlands) there was actually a bit of disappointment because it stayed (just) above freezing so ice tyres weren't needed and the wind wasn't bad either. The fact that it's dark from 3pm to 9am, a Cat4 climb up a fire road, a technical rocky section, 12" deep in mud in places (causing horrible chain suck), your brake pads probably only last 2 laps (2 hours) and you're living out f the back of a transit van (at 2C) for 25+hrs etc isn't enough.

Nobody wants to brag that they did the Fred Whitton the year that is was dead calm, sunny and 17C - much better to say it was the year that 3 people died of exposure, there was 3' of snow and blizzards....

I wholeheartedly disagree and pray for good weather if I get an entry

I wholeheartedly disagree and pray for good weather if I get an entry

I admire your honesty :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

No ! who cares?

• No ! who cares?

Well, I suppose who cares whether you've done the ride in the first place?

• No ! who cares?

I guess most people want a good day out... there are months of training and preparation for these events, which can be spoilt by having to spend half an hour fighting hypothermia. Not everybody enjoys the survival mode. I for one hate having to spend the last week obsessing about the forecast and what clothes to pack and whatnot...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I might enter the ballot for this as I will be living back in Manchester by then and it looks a good event :D

I did the 3 Pistes this year which depending on who you talk to is supposedly of a similar order of difficulty, but I'll need to do a lot of work to get as fit as I was for that...
  • I've done the last four years and quite content that I'll not be applying for entry this year. It's a fantastic event but I'm glad to have a year off.

My times were:

2012 - 10:26
    2013 - 7:51
    2014 - 7:41
    2015 - 7:30

I was in much better shape this year and was aiming for close to 7 hours, but a cold put paid to that.

The weather has varied between "OK" and "horrendous" over the past 4 years. As such, given I'm not riding this year, you can almost be guaranteed of a blue sky, mild temperature and light winds. Enjoy !
  • DeVlaeminck

There is that but I first did the Fred not long after I took up cycling - got round in just over 8 hours - thought I'd go back and try for sub 7.

Took up racing, went back, was going well, one of those days when you can't feel the pedals, got over confident coming off Cold Fell or somewhere around there and stacked it, ended up flying into some brambles, cracked a front rim, long story including having to ride with no front brake but got round in 7.30ish. Entered year after, got ill, couldn't ride.

Years later went back in 2013, hypothermic conditions pretty much cracked on Cold Fell/ Fangs bit got 7.19. Went back this year massive headwinds got 7.12ish. At 48 and having no real athletic talent I reckon on a good day with a bit of luck dropping in some good groups and some smart riding I just might crack 7. If it doesn't happen I'm not gong to mind too much but it's something to aim for, don't think I can be doing with racing BC lower cat stuff and 2nd cats are too fast for me to do anything but try and survive, might do some lvrc but sub 7 at the Fred is something to aim for.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I might enter this want to ride in the north more. I dont actually have bike geared for hills like these though 41:27 wont cut it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I might enter this want to ride in the north more. I dont actually have bike geared for hills like these though 41:27 wont cut it.

Sounds like you need an 18th bike... or maybe just a compact chainset :wink:
  • A local friend of mine, who is in his late sixties did it in under 7:30 this year, so I know it would be at least 9:00 for me.

Hats off to anyone who completes the course.
  • I don't have a target in mind... last year EduD was a 9:15 finish, but it was an extremely slow day. The two sportives compare well, meaning the record times for both are 5:40 or thereabout...
    At a guess, on a perfect day I can probably be somewhere between 8 hours and 8 hours 30... on a bad day it can be anything between 9 and 11 hours
  • DeVlaeminck
    A local friend of mine, who is in his late sixties did it in under 7:30 this year, so I know it would be at least 9:00 for me.

Fastest over 60 was 7.52, still a fantastic time.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337

No ! who cares?

I guess most people want a good day out... there are months of training and preparation for these events, which can be spoilt by having to spend half an hour fighting hypothermia. Not everybody enjoys the survival mode. I for one hate having to spend the last week obsessing about the forecast and what clothes to pack and whatnot...

Couldn't agree more. I hate to get the feeling of 'oh just lets get this over with' due to the weather, much rather look forward to a great day out not having to worry about getting the clothing right.
    Good luck with the ballot Ugo, I missed out last year after doing my first in 2014, but am definitely in this year, as I marshalled last year, so the training starts asap!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've probably grown up (well, spent the last 10 years) with an odd crowd here in the Hghlands. There is a rather masochistic streak amongst the riding folk. We did a ride from Inverness to Livingstone (Edinburgh) 190 miles over the Cairngorms. Not satisfied with that, the day we did it (in late September as I recall) was the "worst storm in 50 years" - there was definitely a sense afterwards that it had made an epic ride all the more "epic" - it was certainly memorable.

I can completely understand that not everybody feels like this (I certainly didn't used to) and, given the choice, I'd like to cycle in lovely weather - but the rides I remember most fondly are the ones that were the hardest - and they were mostly those where the weather played a part.

Anyhow, chapeau to those doing the Whitton - it's a tough ride all on its own
  • A local friend of mine, who is in his late sixties did it in under 7:30 this year, so I know it would be at least 9:00 for me.

Weird, that's him, but his Strava says 7:29, he must have stopped for a pint.

So its 9:30 for me then.

Weird, that's him, but his Strava says 7:29, he must have stopped for a pint.

So its 9:30 for me then.

He probably stopped for 23 minutes along the way... feeding zones, junctions etc... it all adds up. The finish time is the finish time
  • The timing cert on my desk reads 11.59.05 but strava with auto pause puts me at 9.44.57 so thats down to a few mechanicals and the food stops.

It's a tough ride but worth the effort and yesterday my finger was hovering over the ballot button, but we've decided to try an alternative this summer.

Good luck to all you guys entering and I'll be secretly envious of your starting place.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Cracking event; organisation and support are fantastic. Did it first time in 2015 in 8.31, which was just outside my 8.30 target.

Disappointed that I walked part of Hardknott (34/28 gearing); having done it on previous rides on 34/26 gearing with a bit to spare. Think it was Cold Fell that did me in, headwind was horrendous - apologies to the rider that I clung limpet-like to most of the way across the fell. Managed to do my turn at the front of groups for the rest of the ride.

Also struggled with the Hardknott descent, my long reach brakes coped poorly with it in the wet. Had to stop for 5 minutes at the bottom to unclamp my hands from the levers!

Really enjoyed the final bit from the top of Wrynose to the finish - everyone going hell for leather with whatever energy they had left to try to beat their targets.
  • I have done it twice in the past few years. First time was around 7h30mins in 2013 and then 6h29mins in 2014.

I broke the top off my femur / hip joint (type 4 displaced fracture) and broke my collar bone just over 2 weeks ago. Have had cannulated screws inserted, so am on the mend, but am currently relegated to a wheelchair.

I did enter the lottery yesterday though and hope I get a place as I think it will be a good target for me to help recovery.

Best of luck to all!
  • I have done it twice in the past few years. First time was around 7h30mins in 2013 and then 6h29mins in 2014.

I broke the top off my femur / hip joint (type 4 displaced fracture) and broke my collar bone just over 2 weeks ago. Have had cannulated screws inserted, so am on the mend, but am currently relegated to a wheelchair.

I did enter the lottery yesterday though and hope I get a place as I think it will be a good target for me to help recovery.

Best of luck to all!

Hardcore! :D
  • I might enter the ballot for this as I will be living back in Manchester by then and it looks a good event :D

I did the 3 Pistes this year which depending on who you talk to is supposedly of a similar order of difficulty, but I'll need to do a lot of work to get as fit as I was for that...

Who says it's not as tough?

Were you lucky enough to get on the telly? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06sq2cw/the-adventure-show-20152016-episode-5
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Just entered the ballot. No idea why - but I grew up round that way so it's about time I rode it. :D

I just sold my dinner-plate rear cassette as well :roll: