Donald Trump

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    Pinno wrote:

My suggestion was that they are both duplicitous.

Politician is duplicitous shock.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    American politics always seems to end the same way. You have someone who you can't sensibly vote for versus someone who you would not want to vote for. So it is always the lesser of two evils.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Big day.

If trump leads the republicans Hilary will stroll into the White House.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Big day.

Neither option I find palatable.
  • rick_chasey
    What's wrong with Hilary?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Big day.

Neither option I find palatable.

At least she won't cause WW3.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    On that point, considering the number of countries involved in the Syrian conflict (vis-a-vis WW1), isn't WW3 happening right now?
  • orraloon
    Seek out the John Oliver (late of this parish of UKania) Last Week Tonight programme from last Sunday. Will be on YouTube; got it via a Fb link which I can't post via this iPad.

Total deconstruction of the a4se. How come it takes a Brit to tell it like it is?

Bring Back The Drumpf.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Every time I see one of his things go viral I cant help but think of the man who used to cringe at his mate's dog puns....

F88k you Chris!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    Bring back The Bugle!
  • pinno
    edited March 2016
    orraloon wrote:
    Seek out the John Oliver (late of this parish of UKania) Last Week Tonight programme from last Sunday. Will be on YouTube; got it via a Fb link which I can't post via this iPad.

Total deconstruction of the a4se. How come it takes a Brit to tell it like it is?

Bring Back The Drumpf.

It's 'ere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGc2nN9OguQ

In fact, just click on You Tube and it's the first on the homepage.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Are you all stunned?
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Looks like a sure thing now.
    For Clinton. We hope. Maybe? :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Spent some time in states recently and 90% people I mixed with in california and nevada think he's a complete c.unt! I just find it funny the whole situation. He has no chance against the Democrats imo regardless if it's hillary or bernie
  • pinno
    Bernie Eccleston is standing as a Democrat?!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    they had an American politics expert on radio 5 yesterday and they said the only reason trump is winning is because he is up against a lot of people, as soon as it is him against 1 other and he needs over 50% of the votes he will lose. kinda made sense and made me feel better about it all!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ballysmate
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... perating-/

Can't see this making it to any court before November. What price it being swept under the carpet if she wins?

Quite telling that most comments concern the well being of Pagliano and people would not be surprised if he didn't reach old age. :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Chris Bass wrote:
    they had an American politics expert on radio 5 yesterday and they said the only reason trump is winning is because he is up against a lot of people, as soon as it is him against 1 other and he needs over 50% of the votes he will lose. kinda made sense and made me feel better about it all!
    I think that if he is not vetoed by the Republican powers that be (read somewhere they they can do that) then he will probably lose to Hillary as more moderate Republicans may well defect to the democrats. That said, President Trump would be quite amusing in a twisted sort of way. A bit like Ronald Reagan with attitude.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    a well written and to the point open letter by the GOP security leaders
    http://warontherocks.com/2016/03/open-l ... y-leaders/
    We the undersigned, members of the Republican national security community, represent a broad spectrum of opinion on America’s role in the world and what is necessary to keep us safe and prosperous. We have disagreed with one another on many issues, including the Iraq war and intervention in Syria. But we are united in our opposition to a Donald Trump presidency. Recognizing as we do, the conditions in American politics that have contributed to his popularity, we nonetheless are obligated to state our core objections clearly:

His vision of American influence and power in the world is wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle. He swings from isolationism to military adventurism within the space of one sentence.

His advocacy for aggressively waging trade wars is a recipe for economic disaster in a globally connected world.

His embrace of the expansive use of torture is inexcusable.

His hateful, anti-Muslim rhetoric undercuts the seriousness of combatting Islamic radicalism by alienating partners in the Islamic world making significant contributions to the effort. Furthermore, it endangers the safety and Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms of American Muslims.

Controlling our border and preventing illegal immigration is a serious issue, but his insistence that Mexico will fund a wall on the southern border inflames unhelpful passions, and rests on an utter misreading of, and contempt for, our southern neighbor.

Similarly, his insistence that close allies such as Japan must pay vast sums for protection is the sentiment of a racketeer, not the leader of the alliances that have served us so well since World War II.

His admiration for foreign dictators such as Vladimir Putin is unacceptable for the leader of the world’s greatest democracy.

He is fundamentally dishonest. Evidence of this includes his attempts to deny positions he has unquestionably taken in the past, including on the 2003 Iraq war and the 2011 Libyan conflict. We accept that views evolve over time, but this is simply misrepresentation.

His equation of business acumen with foreign policy experience is false. Not all lethal conflicts can be resolved as a real estate deal might, and there is no recourse to bankruptcy court in international affairs.

Mr. Trump’s own statements lead us to conclude that as president, he would use the authority of his office to act in ways that make America less safe, and which would diminish our standing in the world. Furthermore, his expansive view of how presidential power should be wielded against his detractors poses a distinct threat to civil liberty in the United States. Therefore, as committed and loyal Republicans, we are unable to support a Party ticket with Mr. Trump at its head. We commit ourselves to working energetically to prevent the election of someone so utterly unfitted to the office.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    In a speech today, I think that the otherwise quite egregious Mitt Romney has just torpedoed The Trump's ambitions and his campaign.

Romney said everything that all the other candidates have been too afraid or too self-interested to say.

He called him a con man, a liar, a misogynist, cruel, accused him of boasting about his sexual conquests while he was draft-dodging.

Cool stuff from a deeply uncool man.

I hope this is it for Trump, although history suggests his armour is good. And the voting public may not be too bright...
  • orraloon
    Let's see if he uses his favourite bluster tactic of "I'll sue" with Romney.

Fetch the popcorn Maurice...

(But how weak are the other Republican hopefuls to allow this sh1tbag to get away with it for so long?)
  • ddraver
    Trouble is is that Romney and that Letter are more likely to energise Trump supporters all the more...
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    If the Republican party members are against 'one of their own' candidates, they may undermine him by fuelling his competitors. The best scenario is that he fails and it costs him an irreconcilable fortune.
    If they dig up the dirt and dish it out... and there's plenty of dirt to sling around.
  • pinno
    Full transcript of Romney's speech here:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/f ... ace-220176
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That said, President Trump would be quite amusing in a twisted sort of way. A bit like Ronald Reagan with attitude.
    I'm not sure "quite amusing" in any sort of way would be how I'd describe having as President a certifiable loon from a 'reality TV show' in charge of a nation that had been stupid enough to elect him and has the arsenal to obliterate the rest of the world.
  • ballysmate
    If he does get elected perhaps it could be arranged that his first public engagement would be in Dallas, opposite a certain grassy knoll...
  • ballysmate
    That said, the same goes for Hillary.
  • rick_chasey
    Pinno wrote:
    If the Republican party members are against 'one of their own' candidates, they may undermine him by fuelling his competitors. The best scenario is that he fails and it costs him an irreconcilable fortune.
    If they dig up the dirt and dish it out... and there's plenty of dirt to sling around.

Don't think it'll make a difference.

You don't vote for Trump for his policies - he doesn't have any.

You vote for Trump because you don't trust the establishment, which Romney et al are. You don't like the government trying to take your guns away, telling you what is PC and what isn't. If you say you don't approve of Caitlin Jenner or that you side with the police over #blacklivesmatter you can feel cast out. Suddenly those 'Conservative' opinions you have make you unpopular.

You vote Trump because he, apparently is self funded (he isn't, but people believe it). He isn't at the behest of Wall Street, who you blame for screwing up your job 8 years ago and you haven't got back your earnings since. He doesn't get money from firms with French names who pump toxins into the ground (DuPont).

You vote Trump because you feel you've been squeezed out of your job by illegal immigrants and all the other candidates are soft on them.

You vote Trump because you've watched too much Fox news and you're scared of the Middle East, and you think all Muslims are out to destroy America. Hear that rhetoric for two decades, see those pictures of beheadings of Americans and you can easily think that.

Trump is an outlet for the authoritarian, anti establishment, scared, marginalised voters. And there are a lot of them out there. Low income earners have had a tough time for the past 8 years. They genuinely think 'it can't go on like this, anything but this', and Trump is anything. Read this letter a Trump supporter sent into the FT. Especially the last two lines.

CcdLV0jWoAEZPCP.jpg
    "Yes we could be like those good citizens who voted for a "tamable" Hitler back in 1933 to get things back on track. But the alternative looks worse"
    . !!!!!!!!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    At least those Republican voters have a reasonable degree of awareness about Trump, his shortcomings and what might go wrong if he is elected. Something that seems to be sadly lacking amongst the UK Labour voters who elected Corbyn.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]