Donald Trump

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626

elbowloh said:

Btw, just speaking theoretically.

So you were one of the people Trump pardoned and you knew of Trump's involvement in the criminal activity you had been pardoned for. Could you / would you speak out about it with the knowledge that you are now protected as such?

Could you plead the 5th if you couldn't incriminate yourself?
    The 5th amendment provides that someone can decline to incriminate themselves, not someone else.

In answer to the original question, anyone pardoned for being part of Trump's dealings would only be pardoned for what they were convicted of , not for something they might have been convicted of if the prosecutors had known about it.

So most of them will keep their mouths shut I imagine.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    RIght, so say you're Biden.

What's the strategy domestically, to do all the 'healing' he talks about?

What do you do about a system that isn't really built to have two sides that have no political overlap?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited January 2021

I would get behind people like this at the cutting edge of technology, with proven track records, creating products the rest of the continents want is a sure fire way of improving the direction of trade and consequentially growing the economy.

A sustained growth is something everybody can unite behind, along with the standard of living.

Ironically I thought that's what Trump was supposed to be mainly about.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    edited January 2021

What do you do about a system that isn't really built to have two sides that have no political overlap?

Do popular stuff.

And get rid of the senate filibuster so that they can do it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

So you were one of the people Trump pardoned and you knew of Trump's involvement in the criminal activity you had been pardoned for. Could you / would you speak out about it with the knowledge that you are now protected as such?

The 5th amendment provides that someone can decline to incriminate themselves, not someone else.

In answer to the original question, anyone pardoned for being part of Trump's dealings would only be pardoned for what they were convicted of , not for something they might have been convicted of if the prosecutors had known about it.

I'm not sure that's true as there was a lot of speculation in the US press that trump would pardon himself as protection against a future prosecution.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Not sure if we covered it on the thread. During #stupidcoup a lone black police officer used himself as bait to distract one group away from the senate floor and towards his fellow officers

He was honoured today

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elbowloh

I would get behind people like this at the cutting edge of technology, with proven track records, creating products the rest of the continents want is a sure fire way of improving the direction of trade and consequentially growing the economy.

A sustained growth is something everybody can unite behind, along with the standard of living.

Not convinced by Musk. Tesla has a whiff of emporer's new clothes about it, I think its a big value bubble that could burst. Oh and he didn't creat Tesla, was an early and big investor, who then took over.

Plus I think he's a bit of a cnut, is a bit of a psycho and a megalomaniac, but that's bye the bye.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    elbowloh said:

Not convinced by Musk. Tesla has a whiff of emporer's new clothes about it, I think its a big value bubble that could burst. Oh and he didn't creat Tesla, was an early and big investor, who then took over.

Plus I think he's a bit of a cnut, is a bit of a psycho and a megalomaniac, but that's bye the bye.
    Musk himself has said Tesla is overvalued. The point is if people like Musk don't lead the march for America in terms of technology, China surely will. That will result in them becoming the biggest economy even quicker and America's standard of living will go the opposite way too.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    There would be a sense of irony in the west having to setup sweat shops to supply wealthy China with cheap tat. I am sure we would all enjoy that revolution.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Musk himself has said Tesla is overvalued. The point is if people like Musk don't lead the march for America in terms of technology, China surely will. That will result in them becoming the biggest economy even quicker and America's standard of living will go the opposite way too.
    Why would Musk (or anyone else) lead the march for America though? He is not American and I'm sure has no loyalty to the state. I'd be surprised if any big US industrialist or entrepreneur was doing it for the state over, say, their own bank account balance.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • RIght, so say you're Biden.

Keep talking the talk abut don’t bother with the walk. The other side did not give a sh1t when they had the upper hand and whatever you do won’t give a sh1t when they have it again.
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2021
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Why would Musk (or anyone else) lead the march for America though? He is not American and I'm sure has no loyalty to the state. I'd be surprised if any big US industrialist or entrepreneur was doing it for the state over, say, their own bank account balance.
    I would get behind people like Elon Musk

In other words make sure there is a conducive environment (employment, talent, infrastructure) to want to say. As a result of that splinter companies are formed and evolve as a result.
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021

As I said.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    elbowloh said:

As I said.

That's the problem with some people they make assumption without actually listening to people. Money doesn't interest this bloke he's selling off his properties as they are a detraction from his goals. All the patents for Tesla are open source for people to use. Why nearly bankrupt yourself trying to build a space rocket if you were interested in money, lol:)
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

As I said.

That's the problem with some people they make assumption without actually listening to people. Money doesn't interest this bloke he's selling off his properties as they are a detraction from his goals. All the patents for Tesla are open source for people to use. Why nearly bankrupt yourself trying to build a space rocket if you were interested in money, lol:)

Ok, with Musk (now that you are singling him out 😉) it's about ego. It's definitely not doing what is best for the state!

Anyway, he may have nearly bankrupted himself, but that also hasn't stopped him from becoming the wealthiest person on the planet.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2021
    Lol, just because they made it by working their nuts off by 'first principles' and now his companies are successful. It doesn't change the fact he isn't driven by money.

Anyway, this is a side issue. What's important is that these types of people are given the infrastructure and support they require to drive the economy.
  • focuszing723
    Yep, see that's bang on the point.
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

I'm not sure that's true as there was a lot of speculation in the US press that trump would pardon himself as protection against a future prosecution.
    You might be right. Gerald Ford used "crimes he may have done" language for Nixon. I kind of thought that was more of a stay off the grass thing though.

Let's ask MF. He knows everything.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2021

Keep talking the talk abut don’t bother with the walk. The other side did not give a censored when they had the upper hand and whatever you do won’t give a censored when they have it again.
    So here’s Anne Applebaum’s suggestion. I rate her opinion extremely highly.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/01/seditionists-need-path-back-society/617746/
  • First.Aspect

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

You might be right. Gerald Ford used "crimes he may have done" language for Nixon. I kind of thought that was more of a stay off the grass thing though.

Let's ask MF. He knows everything.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_pardons_in_the_United_States#:~:text=The pardon power of the,except in Cases of impeachment.

No need. I'm right. I usually am. It's a grey area.
  • Bored.
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2021

Bored.

Yeah, look the bloke hasn't got a clue. Trump would have knocked out at least a dozen inflammatory tweets by now, if he wasn't banned.
  • First.Aspect

Bored.

Watch CNN wring their hands of Trump for a while then. If you are lucky, Abby Philip will be on.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

Bored.

By anything in particular?
  • First.Aspect

Keep talking the talk abut don’t bother with the walk. The other side did not give a censored when they had the upper hand and whatever you do won’t give a censored when they have it again.
    So here’s Anne Applebaum’s suggestion. I rate her opinion extremely highly.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/01/seditionists-need-path-back-society/617746/
    Is she paid by the word? How do you trawl through turgid self important bilge like this all the time? I would be suicidal.
  • rick_chasey
    Bilge?

Christ alive - she’s one of the sharpest minds on the topic.

Her book on gulags is just excellent.

• First.Aspect

Bilge?

Christ alive - she’s one of the sharpest minds on the topic.

Her book on gulags is just excellent.

You know the old saying that I would have written less but I didn't have the time?
  • rick_chasey
    Lol like you could write anything like her. You should be so lucky.
  • focuszing723
    Can we have a quick synopsis on the gulags? I want to give the book a miss.