Donald Trump

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740

Thread started 14 months before he was president... If you think he's not going to be doing anything newsworthy just because he's not president, I think you're mistaken.

He hasn't done much since the election except playing golf. What do you think he is going to do that will be newsworthy?
    Hasn't done much since the election? Have you suffered a blow to the head lately?

As for the future, I expect him to get prosecuted in the senate, get prosecuted in state courts, talk some censored and make mischief.
    What's he done? Sulked like a five year old about losing. Started some frivolous and vexatious law suits which attracted little attention and were dismissed as such. Called for people to violently demonstrate in DC which has got him put on the naughty step with GOP and banned from Twiiter and Facebook.

You are right that the latter point was something noteworthy not involving golf, but what it has led to is more irrelevance.

Maybe the various prosecutions will provide some news, but my feeling is that he will become irrelevant.

I could be completely wrong. Perhaps, one of the Trumps will run in 2024 and we will get involved.
    I think he has acted as a catalyst for dysfunction in the US political system. As the only democratic super power and its history of acting world police for democracies (at least, in public), that's material.

His presidency created a global leadership vacuum, bad enough in normal times but more costly in a global pandemic.

He has also mismanaged the US approach to the pandemic.

He has also moved the US materially backwards, or at least slowed it, in terms of a national commitment to helping prevent climate change.

I don't think much of that is irrelevant.
    Since the election.
    Oh, you don't think inviting a posse to storm the capitol when they were ratifying the electoral college votes was a big deal?
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2021
    Currently drippling into a mic at Joint Base Andrews. Just waffle. Embarrassing.

Going on about working hard. Spent half his time golfing or watching TV.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,644

Thread started 14 months before he was president... If you think he's not going to be doing anything newsworthy just because he's not president, I think you're mistaken.

He hasn't done much since the election except playing golf. What do you think he is going to do that will be newsworthy?
    Hasn't done much since the election? Have you suffered a blow to the head lately?

As for the future, I expect him to get prosecuted in the senate, get prosecuted in state courts, talk some censored and make mischief.
    What's he done? Sulked like a five year old about losing. Started some frivolous and vexatious law suits which attracted little attention and were dismissed as such. Called for people to violently demonstrate in DC which has got him put on the naughty step with GOP and banned from Twiiter and Facebook.

You are right that the latter point was something noteworthy not involving golf, but what it has led to is more irrelevance.

Maybe the various prosecutions will provide some news, but my feeling is that he will become irrelevant.

I could be completely wrong. Perhaps, one of the Trumps will run in 2024 and we will get involved.
    I think he has acted as a catalyst for dysfunction in the US political system. As the only democratic super power and its history of acting world police for democracies (at least, in public), that's material.

His presidency created a global leadership vacuum, bad enough in normal times but more costly in a global pandemic.

He has also moved the US materially backwards, or at least slowed it, in terms of a national commitment to helping prevent climate change.

Since the election.
    Oh, you don't think inviting a posse to storm the capitol when they were ratifying the electoral college votes was a big deal?
    Which is why I noted it.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,317

Currently drippling into a mic at Joint Base Andrews. Just waffle. Embarrassing.

Lol he's claiming credit for any benefits the country sees in the coming years thanks to the foundation his administration has laid. (Though he didn't word it as coherently as that)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939

Since the election.

You're reminding me of the Life of Brian "What have the Romans ever done for us" scene...

"So, apart from trying to overturn an election he lost by 7m votes by launching 60 frivolous lawsuits, ignoring a pandemic that is killing 3000 Americans a day, pardoning 150 criminals (some of whom are getting pardons as rewards for obstructing justice), inciting a deadly riot that invaded the Capitol, what has Trump done since the election that's newsworthy?"
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    No bloody mention of 'Good Job' for our BR Trump thread!

• Since the election... He declared victory, launched 60 lawsuits, held rallies in Georgia, tried to overturn the election result, tried to pressure officials to overturn the election result, held a rally in DC that didn't end too well, told rioters that he loved them, rolled back environmental protection on some national parks to allow drilling, pardoned his buddy, rolled back some ethics laws, had a bunch more judges confirmed (and nominated a load). And played golf.

I think you might have overlooked his doing nothing for a pandemic that's killing about 3,000 US people a day at the moment. Minor point, I realise...
    Doing nothing is by definition not something he has done. He has also not been to any security briefings, done anything to help the transition, acknowledged that Biden won the election etc.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,560
    appropriate moment from the 'thick of it' (though whoever made the gif got the quote wrong, should be 'thou' not 'our')

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    This thread will be busy with the ongoing legal action that Trump will spend his time defending. I don't think that Biden will be offering a pardon anytime soon.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    john80 said:

This thread will be busy with the ongoing legal action that Trump will spend his time defending. I don't think that Biden will be offering a pardon anytime soon.

Don't give them ideas ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80
    Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Don't give them ideas ;)
    I am looking forward to his base claim that the judiciary are all communists just trying to keep a good man down should any judgements go against him. Presumably when a convicted serial killer does the same they will buy into his logic that the judiciary is rigged against him and he obviously innocent.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Btw, just speaking theoretically.

So you were one of the people Trump pardoned and you knew of Trump's involvement in the criminal activity you had been pardoned for. Could you / would you speak out about it with the knowledge that you are now protected as such?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Don't give them ideas ;)
    Think you're going to be disappointed by the news if you really think Trump isn't of interest to anyone after 5pm today Stevo. Quite an odd stance even for you.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939
    elbowloh said:

So you were one of the people Trump pardoned and you knew of Trump's involvement in the criminal activity you had been pardoned for. Could you / would you speak out about it with the knowledge that you are now protected as such?

I wouldn't be surprised if that is litigated: there seems to be a fair number of prominent lawyers who argue that a pardon to obstruct a crime (i.e. in return for keeping quiet) is in itself a crime, so would be void... I think I've remembered that right.

But equally, I think some of the state AGs are lining up state cases not least Laetitia James in NY), which aren't covered by presidential pardons. I suspect that there will be plenty of willingness in the various law enforcement agencies to assist.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Don't give them ideas ;)
    Think you're going to be disappointed by the news if you really think Trump isn't of interest to anyone after 5pm today Stevo. Quite an odd stance even for you.

Tbh Trump has been of little interest to me since his election.
  • john80
    He is not dealing with businesses weighing up the money they might get in damages against the cost they incur in getting it now. The floodgates will open and it will be an entirely different motivation to what he is used to.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited January 2021
    At least Pence showed up to show some respect for Biden.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Don't give them ideas ;)

An insightful anecdote Bally but pretty clearly not representative of the world view.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • elbowloh said:

Could you plead the 5th if you couldn't incriminate yourself?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    At least Trump can say he had more people at his inauguration than Biden and it will actually be true.

#winning
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Don't give them ideas ;)

An insightful anecdote Bally but pretty clearly not representative of the world view.
    Hardly anecdotal. A statement of fact.
  • I'm still not interested in the football thread.
  • ballysmate

elbowloh said:

Could you plead the 5th if you couldn't incriminate yourself?
    Of course. Because any court would be unaware of what you were potentially hiding and could be guilty of.
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

Don't give them ideas ;)

I'm not that interested.

Are you American?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    Yeah I thought everyone in this thread was?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Biden is president ten minutes early.

The Trump train RIP. I'll miss him.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    Don't we all have Bromptons in the back of our light aircraft and / or our Caterham 7, or whatever our ex good ol' boy y'all claimed with the stock photos?
  • Stevo_666
    'The crowd are on their feet, they think it's all over....it is now!'

:)
  • That Q fella is running late.