Donald Trump

Comments

• What would be good politics from the Dems?

Better candidates.
    That's true. A whole different selection process would make sense too.
  • What would be good politics from the Dems?

Not trying to impeach Trump from the first day he took office because they don't like that they lost.

A candidate that has obvious appeal to swing voters who would also be nominated by the Dems. I don't see this obvious candidate this time around.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I'm surprised that there are people that seem to think the President should get a free rein without anyone being prepared to hold him to account by commencing impeachment proceedings. The whole process is flawed as the only realistic chance a President has of being held properly to account is if the opposition hold a majority in both houses including a very large majority in the Senate. In a normal democracy I would say it should be handled by an independent judiciary but the US system of political appointments means even that is unlikely to help so basically the President of allegedly the most powerful country on the planet is free to act with impunity. Hopefully things will catch up with him once he's out of office though, I suspect there'll be people queuing up to take shots then.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    When they come from Russia, it's a little clearer why they wouldn't care about that, pross.
  • Pross said:

I'm surprised that there are people that seem to think the President should get a free rein without anyone being prepared to hold him to account by commencing impeachment proceedings. The whole process is flawed as the only realistic chance a President has of being held properly to account is if the opposition hold a majority in both houses including a very large majority in the Senate. In a normal democracy I would say it should be handled by an independent judiciary but the US system of political appointments means even that is unlikely to help so basically the President of allegedly the most powerful country on the planet is free to act with impunity. Hopefully things will catch up with him once he's out of office though, I suspect there'll be people queuing up to take shots then.

Except the actions of the Dems look to have given him another 4 years in office when they knew the impeachment action was always going to fail.

So rather than wait 12 months, put up a decent candidate and continually sow the seed of doubt in the electorate ahead of the election, they went nuclear, failed and are likely now to have Trump for the next 5 years.

There are many checks and balances in the US system that stops POTUS having a free reign.

And before people start making things up that I support Trump, I'll make it clear that I don't. I just respect the decision of the US electorate and the position of POTUS. This respect is something the woke losers have never given the US electorate for their decision or towards the position of POTUS.
  • Without a hint of shame, republicans are performing oversight on and requesting evidence on Hunter Biden. And without a hint of irony, the treasury and justice departments are helping out.

• There are many checks and balances in the US system that stops POTUS having a free reign.

Everyone used to think that, but it turns out you can just ignore them all.

If Nixon had just refused to turn over the tapes for no reason, it turns out he'd have survived.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196

There are many checks and balances in the US system that stops POTUS having a free reign.

Everyone used to think that, but it turns out you can just ignore them all.

If Nixon had just refused to turn over the tapes for no reason, it turns out he'd have survived.
    That was in a different era.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Nicked shamelessly from Another place 😊

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Well now after his acquittal he is going round firing those who testified against him, both Vindmans (even though only one testified, Soundland's also been fired.
    Meanwhile Trump is justifying their removals by saying they were insubordinate and issue terrible reports. He is just using this as an excuse to do some house cleaning an a reminder to others not to do this in future.

It's all going to be very messy from now on I would imagine.
  • pinno
    Those he scorned will no doubt bite at some point.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    edited March 2020
    I wonder whether Corona will be the thing that stops his reelection
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,689
    This is the man who thinks he can attack Biden on his cognitive state:

https://youtu.be/UE9BXkQ-SRc
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

It's his inability to keep his mouth shut and to keep saying the quiet bit out loud, if anything.
  • pinno

Though he has pumped $8bn into curbing the effects of C19.
  • Pross

It's his inability to keep his mouth shut and to keep saying the quiet bit out loud, if anything.
    That unfortunately seems to be what gets him elected rather than preventing it.

I'm reading a book at the moment set in 2009 (I think it was written then too) about a journalist at the time that newspapers were really starting to cut staff with the good ones going first and keeping those with less experience and more multi-media focus. There was a comment about how it result in no-one being able to bring politicians to account and lead to more fraudulent behaviour in politics. I think they hit the nail on the head.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Here in the states he's either loved or hated. The great savior of the U.S. or the great satan sort of thing. He has either torn the country apart of made America great again. Torn apart? Well, things still seem to be normal. People still go to work each day and spend their vacations on that Gulf of Mexico. Made America great? See the previous sentence. The whole thing is about love or hate, not about whether he's good or bad at the job.
  • kingstongraham
    Weird coincidence that Trump's travel ban excludes the countries where he owns golf clubs.

But the good news is that according to him “The virus will not have a chance against us.”
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Is it time to isolate over 70's from the Presidential race?

Neither Biden nor Sanders could remember the names of recent diseases during the Dem nomination debate - N1N1 for Biden, Sanders thinks the world is currently facing Ebola.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/ebola/drc-2019

2018 to 2020 Ebola virus disease outbreak in DRC currently 2200+, deaths.

https://www.who.int/ith/diseases/si_iAh1n1/en/

2009 outbreak i believe.
  • kingstongraham
    Yes, but Sanders said: “We have got to move aggressively right now to address the economic crisis as a result of Ebola, as a result — he’s talking about Ebola, he’s got Ebola in my head here right now, as a result of the virus here, the coronavirus."

Not getting the name right of the disease that is the only news story in the world is pretty lame.

For balance, Trump called it the Corona Flu.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

Yes, but Sanders said: “We have got to move aggressively right now to address the economic crisis as a result of Ebola, as a result — he’s talking about Ebola, he’s got Ebola in my head here right now, as a result of the virus here, the coronavirus."

Not getting the name right of the disease that is the only news story in the world is pretty lame.

For balance, Trump called it the Corona Flu.

To be fair to trump on that, the right wing media have tried to name it the Wuhan Flu...maybe fair is the wrong term there.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    At least Sanders named a bug that is currently causing problems but it still isn't the right one.

If that means they're not fit for the presidency then that's not exactly right considering trump has been potus and is worse than those two. Of course we've seen Reagan in the white house so not remembering pertinent facts isn't something that marks you out as being unfit for the role.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    But a choice of three elderly men isn't great for the electorate. If Super Tuesday was next week and there were still six or seven contenders, we'd see a different set of results.
  • pinno
    I see Der Trumpfen is handling this CV19 outbreak with alacrity and finesse.
    Bang goes 2nd term. That would be ironic.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pinno said:

You assume there will be an election.
    “As wartime president and in the midst of an ongoing crisis, I...me...me...great...glorious...emergency powers...remain president indefinitely.”
  • pinno said:

Firstly he and his Democrat opponent need to survive this virus.

However I would not jump so soon with your theory. If his approach gets USA open and working again, in say September, while Europe/RoTW is still in lockdown, voters will see his handling of this crisis very positively
  • pinno

pinno said:

However I would not jump so soon with your theory. If his approach gets USA open and working again, in say September, while Europe/RoTW is still in lockdown, voters will see his handling of this crisis very positively
    Nah.
    He's already talking of opening everything up prematurely. That will be disastrous.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Nah.
    He's already talking of opening everything up prematurely. That will be disastrous.
    But if he can spin it as good for the economy it will play well with his core vote. The US prizes profit over health, just look at the hassle Obama had trying to bring in a fairly limited healthcare provision