Donald Trump

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,736
    Hasn't the UK been one of the fastest nations in the world in reducing its emissions? Or something like that.
  • What's going on? It isn't possible to be this incompetent.

From Washington Post Baghdad reporter.

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

What's going on? It isn't possible to be this incompetent.

From Washington Post Baghdad reporter.

I believe the Arabic copy is signed thats more the press releaseable version. I did like this bit

"We are don’t deal with statements in the media, we deal only with official letter”

But Trump is a fan of using social media so warm people they have been fired, ordered to be killed etc.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,361
    Demand for solar panels shot through the roof under Gordon Brown when feed in tariffs were decent.
    That is the solution. Successive Tory administrations have made the feed in tariff so negligible, it reduces the incentive and there's no collective, just more voluntary individualism.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Boo! hiss!
    Nasty Tories!
  • pinno

Boo! hiss!
    Nasty Tories!

Most of them, yeah.
    Let's face it: we don't really have a choice in the UK.

Corbynistas on one side, the ERG and the elite on the other.
  • ballysmate
    Long live the Corbynistas!
  • pinno

Long live the Corbynistas!

Sarcasm is the lowest from of wit.
  • ballysmate
    And I'm lower than a rattlesnake's bollox.
    But that aside, let the baton be passed to Wrong Daily.
  • ballysmate
    pinno said:

Boo! hiss!
    Nasty Tories!

Most of them, yeah.
    Let's face it: we don't really have a choice in the UK.

Corbynistas on one side, the ERG and the elite on the other.
    Hang on, you have the choice of Nicky the Fish.
    "They will never take our freedom!"
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pinno said:

Demand for solar panels shot through the roof under Gordon Brown when feed in tariffs were decent.
    That is the solution. Successive Tory administrations have made the feed in tariff so negligible, it reduces the incentive and there's no collective, just more voluntary individualism.

The Tories halved the subsidy and guess what solar panel costs halved overnight. It is therefore logical to conclude that these companies were making a killing before this point and therefore found Labours objections at the time funny. In the second phase of removing the subsidy entirely i think this has gone a little too far by my preferred solution would be to pay people the pence per kwh they would pay to buy for generation but only when the grid needed the power. Or if people have battery storage then make them smart enough to allow the energy companies to draw down on this when they need it. One of the issues with the current grid is that even if unpredictable renewable energy is provided free often is is not wanted as we are paying a commercial provider to run a power station on idle in case the unpredictable renewables which they cannot switch on and off is not there. I can see if from both the government/national grid and consumers side.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    john80 said:

The Tories halved the subsidy and guess what solar panel costs halved overnight.

An alternative perspective on reality would say a combination of improving cell technology over the past 2 decades, economies of scale in production plus massive production volumes by e.g. Chinese factories resulted in a 65-70% reduction in the cost of equipping a standard dwelling so it made sense for da Gummint to reduce the original incentive levels to reflect updated costs.

But yeah your average politico will claim all the credit irrespective of cause.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    orraloon said:

john80 said:

The Tories halved the subsidy and guess what solar panel costs halved overnight.

An alternative perspective on reality would say a combination of improving cell technology over the past 2 decades, economies of scale in production plus massive production volumes by e.g. Chinese factories resulted in a 65-70% reduction in the cost of equipping a standard dwelling so it made sense for da Gummint to reduce the original incentive levels to reflect updated costs.

But yeah your average politico will claim all the credit irrespective of cause.
    We installed ours (£7K - funded by getting knocked off my bike :p ) back in 2010 when the FIT was ridiculous. 30 seconds research suggested that the actual cost of the panels was already less than a grand then, so I would say that the fall in prices correlates better with the subsidy reduction than the production costs.

We have been contacted by multiple solicitors trying to whip up mis-selling claims - the promised ROI was clearly mince from the start.

But it's still nice to get a quid for every hour the sun shines.

As for battery technoology, we've looked into it but the costs look a bit prohibitive to me.
  • step83
    Battery storage is comical, so a small volume store, easy couple of AGM batteries couple hundred quid good for a decade. Say you had a roof of panels an wanted storage a single 5Kw battery on its own is knowing on £1500 is you had a "used" tesla battery for example, then you need a suitable controller that can deal with the type, volume an charge currents, cabling etc. It adds up quick to the point its going to be cost prohibiting. That an most would want a 240V system so you usually would need to get a professional in which again adds to the cost.

I'd like to see an option when I buy a house of having solar lighting and storage. Its not hard to fit an all that you'd see is a second consumer panel and a battery container. Just imagine a whole new housing development running on it I reckon if they started on these it would start to make an impact. Doubt that would ever happen though!
  • What time is the White House alarm clock set to these days? Must be about time.
  • step83

What time is the White House alarm clock set to these days? Must be about time.

I think its about this time of day the sunbed goes ping to wake him up.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Let's see what happens after the Iran reprisals. in the meantime I'm off to listen to some of my favourite old songs, including the following:
    Clash - Rock the Casbah
    Phil Collins - Coming in the air tonight
    Blondie - Atomic
    Sigue Sigue Spuntnik - Love Missile F-111
    Or anything by the B-52's
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,692

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Some years ago, a man subsequently convicted of terrorist offences was found with plans of the gas terminals at Bacton, Easington and St Fergus on his person.
    The significance of this meant that these terminals have had their security dramatically increased are are designated CNI sites. Critical national infrastructure
    That is our reliance on fossil fuels.
    I know of no wind farms being similarly guarded by armed police.

Possibly because most of them are surrounded by sea. The key phrase above is "some years ago". As for domestic heating, most of us are going to have to switch to an air or ground source heat pump and install more insulation, which is relatively straightforward. Modern wood burners have much lower emissions, but are still not ideal for urban areas.
    They are still designated CNI sites and get afforded the same protection.
    I would also question how relatively straight forward the installation of air or ground heat pumps may be.
    It's very similar to installing air conditioning to your home. For ground source heat pumps you also need to dig a big hole for the collector coils, but for air source, it's just bolting a box to the outside of the house and some plumbing work.
    You've done it then?
    Cost?
    Not personally, but looked into it for a number of clients. It's roughly comparable with replacing a boiler and hot water cylinder. I'd definitely consider it when my boiler needs replacing. Does need to go hand in hand with insulating homes properly. For some reason people are happy to pay to heat the air outside their homes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • step83
    Stevo_666 said:

Let's see what happens after the Iran reprisals. in the meantime I'm off to listen to some of my favourite old songs, including the following:
    Clash - Rock the Casbah
    Blondie - Atomic

OMD - Enola Gay? Or a bit soon?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Don't forget "Iran" by A Flock of Seagulls
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    step83 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Clash - Rock the Casbah
    Blondie - Atomic

OMD - Enola Gay? Or a bit soon?
    Good one - alrhough thought I had that bit covered that with the Blondie number.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Another one.

'Killing an Arab' by The Cure is technically incorrect so I left it out.

We could have 'Two Tribes' by Frankie goes to Hollywood?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,692
    edited January 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Another one.

'Killing an Arab' by The Cure is technically incorrect so I left it out.

We could have 'Two Tribes' by Frankie goes to Hollywood?
    The Cure one is based on Albert Camus novel about a French Algerian called Meursault. Definitely wrong for Trump/Iran.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    Do you recall the good old days when der Drumpf was threatening all out nuclear war with N Korea? What happened to that then?

Talk the talk, never walk the walk...
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Do you recall the good old days when der Drumpf was threatening all out nuclear war with N Korea? What happened to that then?

So you'd think more of him if he had walked the walk with North Korea?
  • orraloon
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Oh look, over there... bad things...

Is almost as if der Drumpf needs to deflect attention from oh, let me guess... Keep your population worried, punch down.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Is almost as if der Drumpf needs to deflect attention from oh, let me guess... Keep your population worried, punch down.
    Is that a yes or a no?
  • orraloon
    Look. Over there. Look...
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Look. Over there. Look...

Nah, dogs can't take their eyes off a bone.
  • orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Looks like this site has flushed out another terrorist sympathiser...